Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
It seems to me that many threads have been closed prematurely. I think Mac rumors has alot of good content in general, and I value that imput of all the other users. That said it seems to me that there have been alot of threads that have been closed lately that. I think that these threads still have value. Also there seems to be alot of deleted post. I know Macrumors takes pride in keeping the forums clean, and the mods do a great job, but it seems that they have been a little over zealous of late. Anyone agree/dissagree/ care to comment?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
There have been quite a few spam threads (actual advertisements as a first post) and a lot of serial #/crack threads I've seen closed along with pure pointless threads from post #1 or have gone off-topic on page 5, and a couple thread topics that would quickly get out of hand if not closed...

Could you point out some of these threads with merit that were closed?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I haven't seen anything closed that should not have been. When you have 6 threads talking about the same thing, 5 don't need to be there.

Concerning deleted posts, if the posts only contain things like "I agree" "Okay" "Yes" or "No", they deserve to be deleted. Also, if they don't conform to the other rules of the forums, they also don't belong.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
The threads that end up closed are usually the ones that become problematic & are reported, spam threads or duplicate topic threads. Was there anything in particular u saw that u felt should have been handled differently?

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I thought it was odd when threads were closed for no apparent reason. Perhaps the mods could include a final post giving the reason for the closing or give a link to a thread with the same topic. Most of the recent closings I have noticed include neither so we are left to wonder and speculate as to the reason.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I've seen one or two threads whose closings were debatable, I'd say.

But I don't see some mass conspiracy amongst the mods to crush someone's voice on this thread...I think they've all got better things to do with their lives than that.

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
You'd be surprised

themadchemist said:
But I don't see some mass conspiracy amongst the mods to crush someone's voice on this thread...I think they've all got better things to do with their lives than that.

I've had three posts critical of MacRumors' lack of rumors deleted from the site. The comments were removed from 2 forums by the same moderator.

In one instance s/he deleted my post because it was a 1-word agreement with someone who'd also questioned MacRumors' rumors of late. Meantime, s/he allowed 2-word post from a fellow moderator.

So....

One-word bad but two-word good?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
brhmac said:
I've had three posts critical of MacRumors' lack of rumors deleted from the site. The comments were removed from 2 forums by the same moderator.

In one instance s/he deleted my post because it was a 1-word agreement with someone who'd also questioned MacRumors' rumors of late. Meantime, s/he allowed 2-word post from a fellow moderator.

So....

All of the Mod's are Guys (and the admin Arn).

Occasionally there are lapses in moderation. Hypocritical things said in one thread and things that are said in another are slightly different.

If it is really a big issue go to arn about it, obviously the mods can't moderate themselves. ;)

Also if you want to make a contribution don't just quote posts and say 'I agree' you did this to my post, but you didn't bring anything to the dicussion.

And thats what we want, stuff brought to be talked about.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
brhmac said:
There are times the mods will kill some spam, and off-topic posts by deleting them in order to save a thread.

Sometimes they go as far as moving these posts to a new thread then tossing it in the wasteland.

But was the 1 word post so worthwhile to the community that it should have been saved?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
brhmac said:

So....

Two words, eh? Go back and read the thread.

eyelikeart said:
Rock on! :D

I'd be willing to bet Mr. Sidener roams around here. ;)

Like I said before, enable private messages and we'll work it out - but if you post about it again, I'll have no choice but to consider it trolling and take appropriate action.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i don't think any of the mods are exactly going power-crazy. that said, i wouldn't mind seeing a "reason for closure" post or comment... i think it would not only allay the curiosity of posters, but also be a good way to demonstrate what happens when particular rules are broken.

paul

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
paulwhannel said:
i don't think any of the mods are exactly going power-crazy. that said, i wouldn't mind seeing a "reason for closure" post or comment... i think it would not only allay the curiosity of posters, but also be a good way to demonstrate what happens when particular rules are broken.

paul

That's an absolutely fair request.

I typically will post the reason, if I don't feel that it's completely obvious, but sometimes in my haste to do other work I've probably closed some threads w/out doing so. I think the rest of the mods do pretty much the same.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Thanks to the mods for looking into this. I wasn't able to find any of the threads that I was thinking.

I think a post including why a thread was closed would be helpful to everyone. It can also serve as an example for what not to do, for those who might not be aware.

About threads going off topic, is it always such a bad thing if it fosters thought about other related topics?

Thanks again to everyone for keeping the macrumors community a great place.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Koodauw said:
About threads going off topic, is it always such a bad thing if it fosters thought about other related topics?

Not at all, but for the news/rumors thread, we like to keep the signal to noise ratio from getting too out of hand. In community discussion, you'll notice that posts/threads are much less moderated.

Note this line from the rules page:
Things Not to Do

These aren't instantly bannable - but will get you edited and or warned.

1) Off-topic posts in the non-Community discussion areas. Keep it free of off topic posts. Off-topic posts will be deleted/edited. If you keep doing it see #4.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Rower_CPU said:
I typically will post the reason, if I don't feel that it's completely obvious, but sometimes in my haste to do other work I've probably closed some threads w/out doing so. I think the rest of the mods do pretty much the same.

I sometimes have not posted a reason for closing some threads, but it's usually obvious why they're closed. In the cases where it's not 100% obvious, I'll do my best to give reason. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
In the past couple weeks, I've closed a few threads for more than a few reasons ranging from spam to redundant. In all cases I've given a reason so that anyone questioning the intent fully understands the reasons behind the actions.

If at any time any member has a problem with a specific thread being closed, contact the mods or arn via PM and we'll resolve the problem. We don't go out of our way to close threads and I think I speak for all the mods here that if it was possible we'd prefer not to waste our time closing any threads.

D

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Just out of pure curiosity: Why did brhmac get banned in the end? I couldn't find a reason and don't want to make a similar mistake...

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Veldek said:
Just out of pure curiosity: Why did brhmac get banned in the end? I couldn't find a reason and don't want to make a similar mistake...

Read his post in this thread and you'll understand.

Personally, I haven't seen an increase in thread closings...

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Dippo said:
Read his post in this thread and you'll understand.

Well, I read his post, but I don't see anything ban-worthy, that's why I asked. I even checked his latest posts, but there wasn't anything, too.

macka

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2004
'stralia
yamabushi said:
I thought it was odd when threads were closed for no apparent reason. Perhaps the mods could include a final post giving the reason for the closing or give a link to a thread with the same topic. Most of the recent closings I have noticed include neither so we are left to wonder and speculate as to the reason.

I think this would be a good idea because it would indicate to everybody what is unacceptable on the forums. I can understand that sometimes people may start the wrong kinds of threads unintentionally. I'm sure it would result in less spam/redundant threads being started and meaningless posts.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Veldek said:

He was banned as the result of communication in private messages that indicated continued issues with following this site's rules.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Hmm. Not sure how to go about this, since I have a phobia of certain members of the moderating staff as being excessive power-wielders.

I have noticed threads in which a conversation was currently under-weigh get closed because another thread currently lacking any conversation already exists about a certain topic. A suggestion. Would it not make more sense to close an old topic than close one that has a conversation progressing. People don't like having a conversation interrupted so in real life and they usually don't like it on a forum either. Maybe the threads could be joined? I don't know; it's just very aggravating to suddenly have a conversation stopped for little cause. Also, it can be hard to determine if a topic has already been posted due topic titles being worded poorly and the main content of a post being linked to (everyone says the same basic stuff about news stories eg. oh that's terrible, what scum, lol, funny stuff, ianal, rotfl, brb, afaik, otoh, etc, you get the idea).

And about bannings, I usually check someone's posts to see what they were banned for. Often enough, there seems to be no real offense in any public conversation. Now I obviously could be very mistaken since I don't know whats going on in their pm, but I get the impression that the moderation staff(or at least some members) does not appreciate a dissenting opinion of any kind. As you can see, I feel uneasy posting like this because of my aforementioned neurosis about the moderating staff. I just feel at times that there is too much moderation. I don't mean that the quality of mr isn't improved; things often do seem better when we get rid of troublemakers, but without troublemakers, how will we learn to think different?

IrishGold

macrumors member
May 1, 2004
Kyle? said:
Hmm. Not sure how to go about this, since I have a phobia of certain members of the moderating staff as being excessive power-wielders.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 140
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.