Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
A friend of mine spilt some coffee on his 12" powerbook and it doesn't work now. Is there anything that can be done? He didn't take out the battery after the accident, which might not be good. Can it be cleaned and maybe resurrected?

Any advise would be great! Thanks

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
the first thing i would do is remove the battery and power and leave it to dry. i have read before that it may be retrievable. what i know of electronics, the likes of the curcuit board can be washed in purified deionised water as the components are waterproof though obviously the likes of the screen, hard drive and screen wont be. however, im sure there will be somebody more knowledgable than me to answer your quiestion.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
For situations like those, its best to remove the battery and let it dry completely like russed suggested.

Personally, I have $2000 worth of SafeWare (http://www.safeware.com) computer insurance that will protect my laptop should a cup of coffee get a mind of its own. Its really great and covers theft, acidential damage, and a host of other things. Very handy indeed, and $2000 coverage only me $64 for the entire year with a $0 deductable.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
Celeron said:
For situations like those, its best to remove the battery and let it dry completely like russed suggested.

Personally, I have $2000 worth of SafeWare (http://www.safeware.com) computer insurance that will protect my laptop should a cup of coffee get a mind of its own. Its really great and covers theft, acidential damage, and a host of other things. Very handy indeed, and $2000 coverage only me $64 for the entire year with a $0 deductable.

i have a question about that

if something does happen will they give you the $2000 or will they give you the amount of the current value of the machine?

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
As I understand it, they will pay for any repairs, up to $2000, and if it can't be repaired, I get a replacement.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I'm not sure how they figure out the quotes, but I'm guessing from the webpage it has to do with the state you are in and what type of user you are. In my case, I'm a college student from New York and the rate is $64.

If I select Maryland from the list the rate jumps to $120. Go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.