Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has heard that Sling Media's long awaited SlingPlayer Mobile may finally appear on the App Store tonight.

In addition to full support of current Slingboxes (PRO-HD and SOLO), legacy Slingboxes, which include the Classic, AV, and TUNER, will work with the application but will not be officially supported. However, the application will supposedly be limited to streaming only over Wi-Fi connections. Previous demonstrations of the application by Sling Media had promised EDGE and 3G support, however it appears as though this will not be the case.

Pricing is said to be set at $29.99.

Article Link: SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone Release Imminent? Wi-Fi only?

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
slingbox is being greedy and stupid. they won't sell any new hardware by charging $30 for a streamer that should be free. and they won't make any money off existing customers with only wifi support. the only consistent wifi connection is in my home...you know the place with a few tvs and a broadband connection already.

esdunbar

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
I think this will be the app that finally gets me to jailbrake my iPhone. Playing over 3G is a big enough incentive to finally get me to do it.

l33tpmp

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Doesn't Verizon let people use Sling Player over their 3G Network (Blackberry and Palm)? What's the point of this application?

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I'm having a tough time justifying paying $29.99 for an app that I can only use over Wi-Fi. Am I being crazy/unreasonable to think that the price should be quite a bit lower since the feature set is significantly crippled? To me, the beauty of this app would be using it over the 3G/EDGE networks.

I need some convincing to pay $29.99 for Wi-Fi only...

dddonley

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
What's the point...

If I have a wi-fi connection, I probably have my computer or a TV. Lame....

EglMtn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Finally

I hope this is true. I will be purchasing this tonight. I am generally around a WiFi connection, or can create my own with a broadband card from Sprint and my cradle router. Even at 30$ I'm excited for this.

sfh

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Sacramento CA
yay! ... oh wait wtf

they have got to be out of their minds to charge $29 for something like that...
then again their equipment is a bit pricey too.

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
This should be a free app, esp. seeing as it is only over wifi. What are they thinking?!??!? The only difference between this and what they offer now is that instead of viewing on a laptop, you watch on smaller screen - and pay $30 for it.

D-U-M. Dumb.

Also, an ATT rep was on Clark Howard the other day and he clearly stated they will NOT allow streaming over the 3G network - unless it's ATT TV.

Hmmmm....

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I've been watching this pretty closely and honestly think it could go either way with the 3G.

But if it does work over 3G then sling have sold me a sling box and app... if it don't then I will be using orb which does work over 3G.

Sucks big time if this is down to ATT seeing as people from outside the states will want this too!

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
slingbox is being greedy and stupid. they won't sell any new hardware by charging $30 for a streamer that should be free. and they won't make any money off existing customers with only wifi support. the only consistent wifi connection is in my home...you know the place with a few tvs and a broadband connection already.

$29.99. Damn! It was bad enough they limited it to newer device models only.

all of their mobile players are $30 and it's not limited to new hardware. (according to this story)

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
It's still good, because there is wifi in a lot of places. And what does this do? Let you watch TV on your iPhone if you have the box thing hooked up to your tv?

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
I think this will be the app that finally gets me to jailbrake my iPhone. Playing over 3G is a big enough incentive to finally get me to do it.

can u read ??? NO 3G SUPPORT ! WI-FI ONLY !
for 30 bucks ? and only support the new models ?

NO THANKS.

**** slingmedia , ill sell my sling AV and get another brand.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
A free app? For real? All their other mobile versions are $30, why would the iPhone one be any different? And my guess, if it's WiFi only now, it'll be 3G enabled once 3.0 comes out and has the streaming video APIs. It should be much more bandwidth efficient then whatever they're using currently.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Wifi only is ridiculous but I will probably still buy it as long as I can use it over 3G on my jailbroken iphone.

jpsimon

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2002
eh i was fully expecting to pay that much for the app... i would have liked it to be free, but i definitely was expecting a price tag of some sort. I'd of course also like 3G access, but it isn't the end of the world if it's only wifi.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Talk about bittersweet! SlingPlayer on the iPhone? 'Freakin outstanding. 3G only? Disappointing.

I wonder if the Jailbreak crew will have a workaround for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.