Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
OK, so AT&T wants to screw around? Here's a modest proposal:

What are we allowed? 4GB a month? I suggest we all use every last bit of bandwidth we can, right up to the limit. And all of us post it and ask every iPhone owner we know to do the same.

Someone before you suggested the same thing, so I'll post the same response for you: this would only serve to make At&T's point that their network can't handle the extra load. You won't gain anything by doing this, except make other iPhone users that actually use their phones for work more frustrated than they already are.

stoker1

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
If you were able to use on 3G.....

Am I missing something here, about only being to be able to use Wifi with this program for now? Sure, I know that people wish to view their TV when NOT near a Wifi,, but Wouldn't you use a heck of a lot of data per minute of using iPhone Slingplayer using 3G? I mean how much of a hockey game, favorite program could you really watch before you had used your max on your plan? Any idea of MB usage that one would consume on 3G?
Aren't there any limits that exist even for Unlimited 3G plans? If not that's great
for you.. Wish we had the same here, Canada. Sounds like everyone on this post must have unlimited data plans,,and I mean really unlimited. I would think that if indeed I got hold of an unlimited 3G plan, and eventually they did approve Sling for 3G, I wouldn't abuse it, because eventually that will be the factor that pushes the carrier to put up barriers ie higher rates. I keep reading about there not being enough built bandwidth in a lot of different magazines.

Still I am one of those that was actually thinking that Sling would not be approved, so I am a fairly happy camper.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
why is this apple's fault?
The answer I'm about to give you is [self-admittedly] ridiculous, but here goes...

Apple is at fault for creating the iPhone.

There, I said it. I used to own one, but have moved on. I just think it's an incredible lightening rod of attention. The apps, the data usage, the commercials...everything revolves around the iPhone. That's fair and good; I mean Apple created something innovative (as they always do) and it's turned the mobile industry upside down. App stores all over the place, etc.

Of course I don't directly blame Apple, as clearly this is ATT's cowardly admission that their network will explode if the app can stream over 3G, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

It just gets annoying when anything happens in the wireless industry and *bam* the focus catapults towards the iPhone. As a Nokia and Blackberry owner, I wonder what will happen to my streaming capabilities because of this (yes, I do know I am violating the TOS, however I am using vendor provided applications...).

When is the Pre getting here again? ;)

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
you realize the description says "only works with wi-fi AT THIS TIME ". So I'm assuming that it will work with 3g/edge soon

MATTHEWLONG

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
So funny!. It works perfectly with my slingbox classic, what a con to make people upgrade!. You gotta love these guys!.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
A free app? For real? All their other mobile versions are $30, why would the iPhone one be any different? And my guess, if it's WiFi only now, it'll be 3G enabled once 3.0 comes out and has the streaming video APIs. It should be much more bandwidth efficient then whatever they're using currently.

The problem is all their clients should be free. It drives the hardware sales. They are running their business arse backwards. It is not like the software has ANY value without the hardware.

You make it available on iphones for free and then lots of people with iphones have another reason to get one. Same with all their other platforms.

If they want to charge for the software like they do, then they need to give the hardware away for next to nothing. Trying to have it both way is guaranteed to be the worst result.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The problem is all their clients should be free

They do give away their most-used client... the one on laptops.

Up until recently, and possibly still so, mobile phone clients are a relatively tiny slice of Slingbox users.

Also, my gut feeling (and I could be very wrong) is that Sling didn't develop the mobile clients. My guess is that they were done by outside sources, and Sling just retails them. So to make a living off the meager mobile market, the player price had to be high.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
They do give away their most-used client... the one on laptops.

Up until recently, and possibly still so, mobile phone clients are a relatively tiny slice of Slingbox users.

Also, my gut feeling (and I could be very wrong) is that Sling didn't develop the mobile clients. My guess is that they were done by outside sources, and Sling just retails them. So to make a living off the meager mobile market, the player price had to be high.

I remember 6months - 1 year ago they put out a job ad for an iPhone developer... so it was done in house.

Andybrownstl

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Here is something I have not heard mentioned. With the bb, winmo, palm versions of slingplayer it can only be installed and used on one device. But iTunes app store allows me to install the app on all devices I own. Since we are a 4 iPhone, 2 iPod touch family that would mean I can put it on all six devices. In addition since I am running is 3.0 beta 5 I can switch from one iTunes acct to another directly from the iPhone. Soon everyone will be running 3.0 so conceivably I could allow access to my iTunes login info to my brother, cousin, friend, neighbor etc and give them all a free copy of this 30 dollar software. We could potentially cost apple hundreds of sales! Just because someone downloads the software from my iTunes acct they can still login using there specific sling account so they aren't watching my box. I think I am gonna give away 7 copies today just so I can screw sling for the 200 bux I paid to upgrade my old slingbox that they said wouldn't work but now appears to work cause I was the idiot that used there 50 dollar upgrade scan in anticipation of this crippled software. Won't get my money back but I will feel better that I cost them 7 potential sales!!

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
The problem is all their clients should be free. It drives the hardware sales. They are running their business arse backwards. It is not like the software has ANY value without the hardware.

You make it available on iphones for free and then lots of people with iphones have another reason to get one. Same with all their other platforms.

If they want to charge for the software like they do, then they need to give the hardware away for next to nothing. Trying to have it both way is guaranteed to be the worst result.

I dunno, Apple does the same thing, and it seems to work just fine for them....

stoker1

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Quality of sound on Slingplayer iPhone App

Ok,,maybe a little ahead of the game here, but just wondering if I am still
going to get that annoying speaker buzz on this new iPhone software, that
I currently get on my Slingplayer Mac Desktop . Have mostly seen small reviews talking about the video aspect.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I'm sure this will surprise no one:

From Gizmodo:

Network Use Not the Only Reason For AT&T to Hate 3G iPhone SlingPlayer

Everyone may think that AT&T threw their fat around and made Apple lock down the SlingPlayer iPhone app because of AT&T's lousy network, but a tipster tells us there's a more nefarious reason at play.

While it is true that AT&T's already clogged 3G pipes would burst into unusability if tons of people were watching Sling on their iPhones, that's only half the picture. The other half comes from the fact that AT&T's working on their OWN application code-named i-Verse, one that performs a similar task as SlingPlayer Mobile.

AT&T's "i-Verse" app works with their U-Verse TV solution that can either load DVR'ed shows from your U-Verse recorder into your iPhone at home, or stream shows across the net over their 3G network. The app was demoed last year behind closed doors and based on the reception then, prompted AT&T to go into full-time development on it.

We understand that AT&T doesn't want to lose man-hours sunk into development into the app (and that it's their network), but using their position to strong-arm the shut-down of another app just so it doesn't have the competition? That's some lousy, lousy sauce that's more similar than not to net neutrality issues—that is, if our tipster is right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If AT&T thinks that I'm going to pay some monthly fee, on top everything else they overcharge for, they're crazy.

B2k1977

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
that's nice, however not everyone lives in an area serviced by AT&T for landlines.

FIOS :)

Not that I have a slingbox anyway, just sayin..

OH man, FIOS is the best thing to hit the streets in terms of cable/internet in a loooooooooooong time. I have over 100 hd channels, I don't think comcast in my area even has 100 hd channels. Go Verizon! AT&T, read Verizon Wireless's TOS. You could learn a thing or two. My only hostility at Verizon is how they thumbed noses at the iphone then it got passed to AT&T. That's right AT&T, you're a second choice, that's right the big fruit company settled for you! I'm sure he would never admit it openly, but I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs knows the iPhone's biggest flaw is AT&T. Some days my phone doesn't work right at all, I'll experience unexplainable weird network issues. Yesterday was one of those days. Thanks AT&T, for reminding me why I pay you guys $115 a month. Allthough, I didn't start having all these problems until I switched to the iPhone. Before I was using an HTC Windows Mobile phone. I think there's something to be said there also. So yes, I think the iphone its self may be a bit flawed also. I'm done rambling. Sling, you suck too, not because your software stinks, it's great actually. I also realize (no one else acknowledged this) the Wi-Fi restriction wasn't your decision. Anyway Sling, you suck for charging $30 for an app that cannot be used anywhere. 20,000 hotspots? ok, my experience, the bandwidth at these hotspots suck anyway. Not optimal for slinging. I myself am and even bigger idiot because I bought the slingplayer software just out of curiousity. It's a solid app, I just wish the price was lower. /end rant

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
ok , i installed the tricker 3G app that someone did to use with slingplayer and its not working , my slingbox av is conected to my airport but it says that cant connect... anyone ??? do i need to do something on my computer , iphone or slingbox to make that work ?

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
ok , i installed the tricker 3G app that someone did to use with slingplayer and its not working , my slingbox av is conected to my airport but it says that cant connect... anyone ??? do i need to do something on my computer , iphone or slingbox to make that work ?

Did you make sure your firewall/router issues are correct? Have you ever tried to play your sling box outside of your house? Try it with the PC/Mac client first, I'm guessing your router isn't set up to allow the Sling Box to communicate with the outside world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.