Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 2, 2004, 12:47 AM   #1
Stevp1
macrumors regular

ipod questions

I'm thinking about gettin an Ipod, but I have some concerns. Any answers would be appreciated.

1. can i rip Cd's directly to the Ipod, or do I also have to store the music on my HDD. I'd rather not take up 15GB of my PB if I can avoid it.

2. Are there any wireless options out there (bluetooth, wifi) for either sync'ing or streaming to/from a Pod? are there any hints that feature lies in the future?

3. sort of connected to q2, should I pull the trigger now or are there indications that the 4g pods are coming soon?

Anyway, thanks for any and all help.
Old May 2, 2004, 12:53 AM   #2
Celeron
macrumors 6502a

I don't have the answers to 1 and 3, but I can assure you that you wouldn't want to do any file transfers over Bluetooth. Bluetooth's max speed is a whole 1mbps, while USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 hit 480mpbs and 400mbps respectively.

For what its worth, I'm inclinded to think there will be iPod updates in the coming month or two, but thats just a hunch.
Celeron is offline   0
Old May 2, 2004, 09:24 PM   #3
realityisterror
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to realityisterror
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevp1
1. can i rip Cd's directly to the Ipod, or do I also have to store the music on my HDD. I'd rather not take up 15GB of my PB if I can avoid it.
in a word, no

reality
Old May 2, 2004, 09:47 PM   #4
Frisco
macrumors 68020

1. To get music on the iPod your CDs have to been on the computer first, but once they are on your iPod you can delete the music from your computer and just play them through the pod, even on the computer. Many people do it this way to save space. There are 3rd party programs that will let you put your music back on the computer from the pod if you choose.

2. You can stream music to your stereo in your house or car with 3rd party hardware, such as the iTrip, which is pretty cheap.

3. Many seem to think new iPods are right around the corner, especially since iTunes 4.5 was just released. Itís hard to tell however and otherís say the iPod is selling well so an update is not necessary at this time. Update or not to the 3rd generation iPod, the Mini iPod is the best and I would get that. There is no need to carry around 15Gigs of music at a time. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Frisco; May 2, 2004 at 09:53 PM.
Frisco is offline   0
Old May 2, 2004, 10:21 PM   #5
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Now might be a time to buy a external HDD for your PB. The bonus is that you could take and use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up your PB HDD and have a bootable solution for the dreaded HDD failure on your PB.
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0
Old May 3, 2004, 12:11 PM   #6
Stevp1
macrumors regular

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I do have an extra drive that I'm planning on getting an enclosure for, I just hadn't thought about using it for this, but it's definetly an option. Thanks again.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers