Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
My Altec Lansing MX5021's have finally died.

I've had two sets and while the quality of sound is really quite wonderful, speakers usually end up making clicking sounds and the transformer inside the subwoofer is very, very loud.

I listen to a range of music - from deep ambient to heavy rock - and play a lot of games. Clarity is more important than volume.

Any suggestions?

shawnathan

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2008
I've been using the same set of Soundsticks II for about 5 years now, and they still sound great!

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
I've been using the Aiwa TS-C20 System for 12 years now. I bought the one on the show room floor. I have it on my MacPro 2008 and use it for HD Video Production. Never failed me since.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I need some speakers for my Mac Pro too... I've been thinking about getting the Soundsticks II.

mattlong1978

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
United Kingdom
I use the Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 speakers which have impressed me no end after previously using some Logitech Z680's which i found to be way to bass heavy the Aego M's where much more balanced and not as overwhelming don't be put of by the size of the satellites these speakers are an outstanding bit of kit.

eylee86

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
Swan M10

I own the Swan M10 sets which I love. The only pain is that it is designed for the subwoofer to be on the same level a the satellites. But other than that the bass is good enough for my ear. I listen to whole range of music from hiphop, alternative, to classical. And I am satisfied with my M10's. It might not have the ground-shaking bass but I'm little over that with the logietch Z-2300. But I was considering along with my Swna M10's, Aego M, Audioengine A2/A5. I did test out the Audioengine A5's and I thought that the bass was little lacking. I wasn't too impressed for the price. Maybe you could go with Audioengine A2's and get a separate subwoofer. Or just get Aego M be done with it. I personally chose Swan M10 for the great money value. Wanted to save some extra dough for a DAC or EMU-0404.

eylee86

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
I would avoid Bose

I would avoid Bose. I feel that the sound quality they put out doesn't justify it's price. Also you can also consider Swan M200MkII with separate sub. They are cheaper than A2s and they put out pretty good sound. But knowing that even M5's didn't have enough bass for me, I had to rule that out. Ofcourse, story's different if you're planning out a separate sub.

southpaw998

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
The Swan's are excellent speakers. I personally don't mind the lack of bass, as to me, speakers like the z-2300's seem to distort it more than help it.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I would avoid Bose. I feel that the sound quality they put out doesn't justify it's price.

I think Bose is overpriced too, but I don't think that makes them 'sound' worse. I have the previous gen Bose Companion 3 and they're marvelous, teeny little speakers and the sub sound terrific, great clarity. My friend is recording an album on her own at a studio and we listened to some of her songs on my Mac Pro and she was pleasantly surprised and different things she was hearing these speakers put out that she hadn't heard so clearly before.

If you want clarity you'll need to spend $200+ I believe, but I haven't shopped around much on sound. I have some $70 Logitech 2.1 that sound like a muffled tin can next to my Bose.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Bose Companion 3 for our set up. Sounds amazing!

570096930_QugYP-L.jpg

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
hahaha apparently not! i have logitech X530s and i cant hear any distortion on them, even with low levels of bass.

wowzers!! very stylish office you got there!! love it! nice equiptment too!!

Thanks, I set it up for my daughter. I help with the filming, and she does all the rest. It's fun

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.