Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster claimed that an Apple tablet computer was in the works though it would not arrive until the first half of 2010 due to the complexity surrounding the operating system.
"We expect the development of such an OS to be underway currently, but its complexity, along with our conversations with a key company in the mobile space, leads us to believe it will not launch until CY10," Munster says.
Apple Tablet rumors have been circulating for years, so weren't entirely sure what to make of this particular analyst report. One reader has since pointed out, however, that Businessweek's Peter Burrows was also able to get "confirmation" of this Apple tablet from another source said to be familiar with Apple's product plans. If this source is to be believed, we may finally see an Apple Tablet as early as next year.

Rumors of an Apple Tablet have been a recurring theme here at MacRumors. In 2003, the rumors accelerated to a point where multiple credible source were pointing to the imminent release of a Mac tablet. We believe that such a project had clearly been in the works and may have even evolved into today's iPhone. Now, in the past few months, there has been an increasing number of reports that Apple is working on a device that fits somewhere between their laptops and iPhones.

Article Link: Another Source 'Confirms' 2010 Apple Tablet?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I say let this bad boy rip. It'll be my first launch day spring on a new product. My wallet and a place in my iHeart await this TouchTablet. Just let Steve do the talking when it rolls around...

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I am still on the fence with all this tablet business. I have used tablets before and they suck big time. I know fine well that Apple could make them significantly better but just struggle to see where it would fit in the product line and in everyday use. Having difficulty believing that its true one is on its way to being released.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Keep posting about this rumor and eventually, you will be right.

Look back far enough, and I have been here since June 2000 (under different user handle) and there were rumors on and off about an iMac that would utilize LCD technology and ditch CRTs. It's not as if it was impossible but then it seemed so anti-Apple since the CRT iMac was such an icon.

We love our Macbooks and they have become firmly set into our hearts, and somehow for many a tablet threatens that.

I say go for the tablet.:apple:

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The so-called specialized OS would be OS XI... in 2020.

OS XI will be entirely multitouch with possible legacy mouse support. Any MacTablet released prior to the release of OS XI will be running the full version of OS X.whateverisout with a more advanced Inkwell application.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Lord, I can't wait until the d@mn tablet comes out -- and not just because I want one... I just want the rumors to STOP! This one has gone on longer than the PowerBook G5 rumors that haunted us for years. And Apple finally updated the look of their laptop lineup which was another long-standing pain in my arse.

If we could just get tablets and have the display lineup updated, I'd be so happy… 'cause I wouldn't have to wade through so many of these rumors that have been around since Clinton (practically!)

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
it's been a long time since we've heard anything from Shaw Wu - i'm assuming he's no longer employed as an analyst? a shame, because he was always a good guide - if he recomended that something was going to happen, then you knew for certain that it wasn't. As there haven't been any comments by him regarding the new iPhone nor the iTablet, can we assume they're both true?

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Not going to happen.

These rumors are so old.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
And here we go again with the tablet rumors...it's kinda tiring, isn't it? If and when Apple launches it, it's gonna be a product to redefine a market, just as the iPhone and the iPod...but to say that it's only coming in 2010 is, at the very least, depressing...in the end, it's just better to shut up and spread rumors when the time REALLY comes for such a launch.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Look back far enough, and I have been here since June 2000 (under different user handle) and there were rumors on and off about an iMac that would utilize LCD technology and ditch CRTs. It's not as if it was impossible but then it seemed so anti-Apple since the CRT iMac was such an icon.

We love our Macbooks and they have become firmly set into our hearts, and somehow for many a tablet threatens that.

Don't think tablet. Think Netbook done right. ;p That it may happen to function exactly as a tablet is a plus. Think Star Trek PADD. :D

Tablet, yes. 2010, no.

Expect it to come later this year. I'd say anywhere from August-October.

OMG, I think I just had a Macgasm! :eek:

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Hopefully this means that all the rumors about new processors apply to this tablet and not the 2010 iPhone... I would hate to buy a new iPhone this summer knowing that one with superior performance will come out next summer... But then again I'm probably gonna buy it no matter what. :rolleyes:

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
How complicated could the OS possibly be? OS X was modularized so it can be scaled from large to small devices and all a Tablet would be is a large iPhone.

I'm not buying this excuse.

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
What's with "CY10"? Is that just an attempt to make the rumor sound more credible by using financial lingo? Or is he actually making a distinction between calendar years and fiscal years for some reason?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Guh.

Well, I have NO doubt that Apple has been working on such devices for years, but when you think about it, the technology for a touch screen pad was lousy until recently.

Why? Because they were too heavy to be worth it. Sure, scream about the ModBooks, but I've used one and they suck in the size department (the rest is perfect). A MaxiPod with greater application ability would be insanely useful, but Apple has to make it very light, recognize writing for notes, run lower processor usage applications for business, and be able to store and send data... along with all the typical iPody type things.

If they can make it run a stripped down Photoshop so it becomes a type of Cintique-mini, it will demolish every other notebook/netbook/tablet on the market. Trounce.

Tablet, yes. 2010, no.

Expect it to come later this year. I'd say anywhere from August-October.

I like THIS rumor. It fits my desires as well.

Ropedartman

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Disappointing if we have to wait until 2010 for this thing. I'm not sure I'd need a tablet (sure would like one tho), but I don't really want to keep reading rumors about it for another year! Now, a 13-inch Macbook Pro, that would be special ;)

Cyberguard

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Not so sure about the whole tablet thing... I would absolutely LOVE a good netbook though... Especially since my good old iBook G4 (I'm old school that way) is pretty much running on its last ressources... :(

He will be dearly missed but happily replaced by a Netbook ! :cool:

RumorHasIt....

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Bring on the tablet!

First off, I realize a tablet isn't for everyone; I want one, though. However, why does it bring out such hostilities when the rumor comes out?

By the way, this site is genious! Just keep posting rumors, no matter how likely they are to come to fruition, and hits to this website ensue.

Not that long ago, cliesource used have this type of frenzy with the clie pdas. It seemed, every few months a new pda by sony would come out. Prior to it's release, the rumors were rampant. Unfortunately, the pda became somewhat redundant with the emergence of smartphones. So, the site changed to 1src (mostly palm os info) and hasn't been the same since. But, there may be hope. The Pre has started to attract posters again. We'll see...

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

I love my Macbook as well, but I'm excited about any Apple rumours! Apple products turn out to be quite interesting. Rumours are rumours, fair enough, but I can't wait for the next piece of hardware from Apple. Exciting times, these.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
Not so sure about the whole tablet thing... I would absolutely LOVE a good netbook though... Especially since my good old iBook G4 (I'm old school that way) is pretty much running on its last ressources... :(

He will be dearly missed but happily replaced by a Netbook ! :cool:

Whats the difference between a tablet & a netbook?

alwaysg5

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
United States
I have to say that if Apple is going to venture into a smaller screened, portable Macintosh other than the current laptop line, I'd so much rather a Mac Netbook than a Mac Tablet. Tablets never really took off and the lack of a keyboard is somewhat frustrating to me. Plus, isn't that what the iPod Touch/iPhone is for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.