Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DS Flyer

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Suburbs of Chicago
Time will tell

I think this has been in the works for a while (as we all know). I'm sure Apple wants it to be amazing and it has taken a lot of time to perfect the tech. I wouldn't say it's a bunch of bull like some

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Given the right apps a Tablet could be successful right now.

The trick is to focus on usage that justifies the size and form factor to give people a reason to make that initial purpose. E-book reading couldbe one of those feature that would drive adoption. Interesting as additional server capacity may be needed to support that feature (Apple builds an E-book store).

I could see Apple also holding off for the latest round of ATom chips if the go i86 on the device. I believe they need to go i86 simple for a 64 bit environment. It would be extremely shirt sites to build a tablet on a 32 bit platform. The alternative idea here is that ARM and Apple collabrate on a 64 bit ARM platform.

64 bit ARM isn't as wild as it seems - really. What it gives Apple is a platform that can grow quickly with process tech to deliver extremely powerful hand held devices in the future.

Dave

Cosmi

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
What about this? :cool:

http://forum.onemorething.nl/album_pic.php?pic_id=23970

album_pic.php

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I think this has been in the works for a while (as we all know). I'm sure Apple wants it to be amazing and it has taken a lot of time to perfect the tech. I wouldn't say it's a bunch of bull like some

Apple tends to pleasantly surprise. They tend to introduce tech you never knew you wanted. ;)

Fraghax

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
Louisville, KY
Tablet, yes. 2010, no.

Expect it to come later this year. I'd say anywhere from August-October.

I agree. It seems unlikely that a rumor would surface this early for a product of next year. I guess I could happen..... Lol I would bet later this year. I'm thinking octoberish like when they refresh the MacBooks and such.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
WHATEVER this Apple Tablet is, make it:

- Capable of opening (ideally also editing) Apple Keynote and Microsoft PowerPoint applications for full blown presentations via VGA-out (or better). This is not to work on the device, but mainly to carry a small and light device (see below).

What's to keep this from eventually being done on an iPhone or iPod Touch plus a "Made-for-Apple" video cable?

Powerpoint originally ran on a PC far less powerful than an iPhone. Keynote originally only required a G3 iMac about twice as fast as the current model of iPhone, IIRC.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
What about this? :cool:

Not cool. Stupid.

A touchscreen-only hinged netbook would fall over every time you tried to click or move the cursor, you'd miss every time you tried to hit a small icon or tiny UI control, and your arm would get so tired from holding it up you'd eventually throw the device against the wall in frustration.

Touchscreens work for flat, casual use devices. Maybe a Kindle with Safari. No full desktop Mac UI. App UI's would have to be significantly redone to keep users from throwing the device against the wall in frustration.

Try again.

i

itsbarry

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Of course Apple is making a tablet.

The more people say that "it's a dumb idea", the more it makes sense. These are the same people that were pissed when Apple made the iPod, iPhone, AppleTV, etc.

The iPhone is for the June/July period. iPod for August/September period. Usually their laptops are around October/November. I think this tablet device will debut around January/February, and be updated at those times. The AppleTV's time is March/April, though we haven't heard anything interesting with that in a bit.

For all seasons of the year, Apple wants to have something new and cool to sell to you. January would be a good time since they could show it at CES and blow everything there away.

:apple:

celtikmind

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Of course Apple is making a tablet.

The more people say that "it's a dumb idea", the more it makes sense. These are the same people that were pissed when Apple made the iPod, iPhone, AppleTV, etc.

The iPhone is for the June/July period. iPod for August/September period. Usually their laptops are around October/November. I think this tablet device will debut around January/February, and be updated at those times. The AppleTV's time is March/April, though we haven't heard anything interesting with that in a bit.

For all seasons of the year, Apple wants to have something new and cool to sell to you. January would be a good time since they could show it at CES and blow everything there away.

:apple:

One slight error - no-one has any money left in January, after the holidays... :eek:

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
In the recent days' news

Apple Planning New Server Farm in North Carolina
Saturday May 23, 2009 01:19 PM EST
Written by Arnold Kim
The Charlotte Observer reports that North Carolina lawmakers are working on special legislation to give Apple, Inc a multi-million dollar tax break in order to entice the company to build an East Coast server farm to the state.
The tax breaks could be worth about $46 million in the next decade, assuming the company reaches its $1 billion investment target within nine years of starting, according to a memo by legislative fiscal staffers that does not identify the company. The memo said no current company meets the criteria to receive the tax break and the Commerce Department knows of just one with the potential to qualify.

---------
Unidentified Apple 'Mobile Computing' Device in Best Buy Inventory?
Monday May 25, 2009 06:11 AM EST
Written by Arnold Kim

This one is coming May 31 if the screenshot is to be believed. However, it is a bit heavy.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Just take Apple at their word for once...

Schiller said a netbook is not on the drawing boards. He said it is a market they don't want to be in. Taker him at his word for once.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
How complicated could the OS possibly be? OS X was modularized so it can be scaled from large to small devices and all a Tablet would be is a large iPhone.

I'm not buying this excuse.

I agree, all that is really needed is to tell developers to design extra XIB files for the larger screen, maybe add some other minor controls for App size switching.

As an excuss it's poor, which makes me think the source has no real information.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
All directions point the messagepad/emate coming back. The iPhone OS was a huge indicator kinda reminiscent of newton and then during the quarter conference call Tim Cook I believe it was stated they are working on something in the netbook area.

Sadly this not the kind of tablet that I am hoping for. I wanted one with mac osx to do graphic design work on. :(

I am just wondering how much different will this be from the Touch. I think it will have a beefier version of iphone OS

Some ideas floating in my head:

-It probably won't have a drive so it may be able to share the drive with a mac
-may have ports like usb and mini dvi. probably no ethernet
- lite version of iLife
- yes it will have flash
- another section of the app store will be added for this
-isight
-ssd drive

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Yes but ...

Lord, I can't wait until the d@mn tablet comes out -- and not just because I want one... I just want the rumors to STOP! This one has gone on longer than the PowerBook G5 rumors that haunted us for years. And Apple finally updated the look of their laptop lineup which was another long-standing pain in my arse.

If we could just get tablets and have the display lineup updated, I'd be so happy… 'cause I wouldn't have to wade through so many of these rumors that have been around since Clinton (practically!)

once the rumours stop, the whinging will start. LOL.

"why doesn't it have a camera? why doesn't it have a bigger/better camera? why can't it take SD cards? why no FM radio? why oh why oh why..."

forewarned is forearmed :)

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Not everything Apple designs turns to gold you know.

The prime example of recent times is Mac Book AIR. It is an example of a nice concept but a poor implementation. That even after being vastly improve with the last update.

Frankly there are a number of ways in which Apple could fail here. One would be to run Mac OS/X on the machine. Another would simply be to make the device to big.

Here thickness is as much of an issue as the area of the screen. If the tablet is much thicker than 1/3" it will have acceptance problems.

Thousands said that about the iPod. Hundreds said that about the iPhone. Dozens will say that about the MacTablet.

LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES.

Actually I wish Apple would learn from it's mistakes.

Dave

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago

I see you've gotten married to that name as you've been pushing it on many threads that in some way involve tablet rumors.

I can guarantee you, however, with 100% certainty, that Apple will never name a product that is just one letter away from being a very popular feminine hygiene product in the United States (Google "Maxipad" in case you are unaware), especially with the pronunciation being so similar too.

Not only would people associate Apple with said feminine products, it would make it easier for PC fanboys to call Apple users pu--ies ("Hey, pu---y boy, where is your MaxiPod??!! HAHAHAHA LOLOLOl111ROFLMAO").

Realistically, Apple would also risk a lawsuit.

It just won't happen. Please pick a new codename to call this thing!

You may be pushing this name hard so that if it is called that you can have plenty of proof you thought of it first, but if that is the case, trust me, you are wasting your time. :)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
The change in the OS would be so significant that one would assume they would give developers a sneak peak 3 - 6 months before shipping.

I say they show it now, of have a 'special event' in the next few months, and a ship date of October 2009.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.