Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 28, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1
qua
macrumors member

MacBook Pro will not boot from DVD post 10.5.7

After installing 10.5.7 update (full version) my MacBook Pro (latest - 2.8) will not boot from install DVD. Nor will it boot from other repair boot DVDs. Nor can remote DVD from a MacBook Air discover the DVD drive. Did boot in save mode and repaired permissions, no help. Could it be (coincidentally) the drive or could something have gotten messed up. I'm isolated out of the country right now on Easter Island in the Pacific, so I hope someone has some helpful ideas. Thanks.
qua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 03:39 PM   #2
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by qua View Post
After installing 10.5.7 update (full version) my MacBook Pro (latest - 2.8) will not boot from install DVD. Nor will it boot from other repair boot DVDs. Nor can remote DVD from a MacBook Air discover the DVD drive. Did boot in save mode and repaired permissions, no help. Could it be (coincidentally) the drive or could something have gotten messed up. I'm isolated out of the country right now on Easter Island in the Pacific, so I hope someone has some helpful ideas. Thanks.
When you insert the disk, does it even mount? If so, have you tried going through System Preferences -> Startup Disk ?
Old May 28, 2009, 04:03 PM   #3
qua
macrumors member

Mounts

Add DVD and CDs mount and function properly.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:05 PM   #4
qua
macrumors member

Startup disk

Selecting DVD for startup disk also does not work. Same result, seems to look for DVD, fails after a while, screen goes black, restart bong, repeat, etc.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by qua View Post
After installing 10.5.7 update (full version) my MacBook Pro (latest - 2.8) will not boot from install DVD.
What is the OS version (10.5.x) on the Installer DVD and what message you get when you try to boot from it?
Old May 28, 2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says...another "easy" thing to try that can sometimes resolve odd issues is to zap the pram (hold command+option+p+r at boot...let it "bong" twice)....oh yeah!
Old May 30, 2009, 04:34 PM   #7
xtapol
macrumors newbie

Any solution?

I'm having this same problem (booting new model MBP from Leopard DVD results in endless reboot loop). Resetting the PRAM didn't help. This is a retail copy of Leopard which I've used before (on this machine, even).

Has anybody found a solution to this?
xtapol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:07 PM   #8
qua
macrumors member

sorry to see another have this issue

If you find out what is causing it, even if I need a repair, please post it. Thanks.

Still unresolved. Isolated out of the country so I have no access to a genius bar. No boot disk of any kind does anything but loop restart tries. Disks mount, etc. One odd disfunction to add - friends MacBook Air now cannot access DVD on my computer, all other aspects of connection ok.

Crossing my fingers for no need of boot disk for two whole months. Arrghh.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:22 PM   #9
xtapol
macrumors newbie

actually, i did

I figured it out about an hour after my post - I meant to come back and post a follow-up; my bad.

Anyway, it seems the new Macbook Pros (and maybe the other new Macbooks) won't boot off the stock Leopard DVD - they need the 10.5.5 DVD that they shipped with.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:24 PM   #10
xtapol
macrumors newbie

heh

... and I guess that means I lied in my previous post and I hadn't actually used it on this machine. Must've just used the discs it shipped with when I reinstalled, and then forgotten that fact.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:41 PM   #11
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtapol View Post
I figured it out about an hour after my post - I meant to come back and post a follow-up; my bad.

Anyway, it seems the new Macbook Pros (and maybe the other new Macbooks) won't boot off the stock Leopard DVD - they need the 10.5.5 DVD that they shipped with.
That's what I was getting at. The 9400m-based Macs need drivers from the 10.5.5 installer.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:39 PM   #12
qua
macrumors member

You guys are great

I'm still stuck on an island in the Pacific with a laptop that I can't boot off a DVD, but at least I know what the problem is. To spare packing space I limited what I brought. For boot I brought a generic 10.5.3 disk that DID work, and a Drive Genius disk that also worked. Neither after the update (which on looking back I should have held off applying). My bad for leaving original disks behind. Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help