Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

210952-iphone3_500.jpg

A Chinese-language blog UMPCFever posted what it claims are the first photos of the next generation iPhone in action. According to the rough automated translation these images show the new iPhone in action but as it appears to be prototype device the external design is not featured.

According to the report, the new iPhone does contain an autofocus camera that is uses an on-screen square that can be moved by the tap of a finger to chose the object of focus. Also shown is the long rumored digital compass as well as compass software (pictured above). Those features seem to be specific to the next generation iPhone, though the site also demos MMS and Copy/Paste with Images.

We've never heard of any reports from UMPCFever, so we can't judge their credibility, but the features shown seem consistent with circulating rumors as well as leaked video recording interface found in the Beta 3.0 software.

Article Link: Photos of Next Gen iPhone in Action? Auto-Focus and Compass

Attachments

• autofocus1.jpg.jpeg
    autofocus1.jpg.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 229
  • autofocus2.jpg.jpeg
    autofocus2.jpg.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 212
  • autofocus3.jpg.jpeg
    autofocus3.jpg.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 236
  • autofocus4.jpg.jpeg
    autofocus4.jpg.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 242
  • autofocus5.jpg.jpeg
    autofocus5.jpg.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 224

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I realize there was another thread on this topic, but it got pretty far derailed off-topic, so I've started this one as a new one.

And just to head off any debate. the numeric percentage of battery life left IS a feature in is embedded (but not easily accessible) in iPhone 3.0.

arn

Attachments

• mms1.jpg.jpeg
    mms1.jpg.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 165
  • cpuactivity.jpg.jpeg
    cpuactivity.jpg.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 246
  • compass.jpg.jpeg
    compass.jpg.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 201
  • autofocus6.jpg.jpeg
    autofocus6.jpg.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 193
  • mms2.jpg.jpeg
    mms2.jpg.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 239

brian4610

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
can anyone tell me what the picture is at the bottom left of the camera app? I've seen it before on other screen shots, but no clue what purpose it serves. Anyone?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
As I may be the last person I know who still uses a cell phone as a phone, I am planning on jumping on board when this thing becomes available. I just hope that unlike a Swiss Army knife, whose individual tools are outperformed by dedicated single-function tools, the multi-function iPhone can make a good phone call as well as any other phone out there.

Muyy

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
if you read the roughly, and i mean roughly, translated page is says its the next iphone in the 3g casing, so you wouldnt see the front facing camera if there was one on there, Im not sure if these are real or not, they seem to be real, but any news is good for me cause im dying to know what the new iphone will look like. The hype is killing me.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
Besides the usual Boy Scout usefulness, what other applications could we see from the compass?

There are a ton of super cool ideas out there. Here's one... instead of the maps app with north always up. It could adjust to the way the phone is facing.

(I know it would be tricky with the text, but so what. Just figure it out)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Besides the usual Boy Scout usefulness, what other applications could we see from the compass?

I constantly orient myself via sun, but if I had a compass for actual direction... forget that nature stuff. People who hike up the great outdoors will find this extremely useful as well.

Thumbs up.

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
Good jobs!!!! I wish they can show a sweet video. BTW I have a Nokia N85 that I love so much. Because of the 5M pixel camera and the dual-LED flash(It can give some light on when I'm taking a video which is essential to me,better than a Xenon flash for that matter)

The only thing I want to mention, is a 5M camera is verrrrrryyyyyyyy important. OK , comparing to a real DC, it's still trash, but I can't bring my DC everywhere, and the quality of the picture is quite acceptable for daily use ,no matter for taking videos or pictures. The size of them are also a bit smaller, making it more pleasant for a "second choice DC".

As we are approaching the 8M era, why can't AAPL bring this thing on??:apple::mad:

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Don't see the compass as a compass, but as a sensor which can detect movement of the iPhone when holding it parallel to the ground.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Does it look like the new benzel with the higher up and longer ear piece? Also, could this be the 3.0 software running on a iPhone 3g?

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
In the third photo on the site, the license plate of the car ahead is from Hong Kong, not China interestingly.

Edit: And now I see it's a HK-based site, still seems odd though. I thought they were made across the border.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
can anyone tell me what the picture is at the bottom left of the camera app? I've seen it before on other screen shots, but no clue what purpose it serves. Anyone?
There was a report a little while back that suggested the compass could be used to provide info on a building you are facing (i.e. streetview kind of idea with details of business occupant (business name, phone, email, address etc) superimposed. There was also the idea that one could hold it up to the sky and be provided information about constellations at night. That sounded pretty cool but who knows how practical and possible....

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Also, can you tell from the CPU pic it's any different from the exsisting 3g?

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
, could this be the 3.0 software running on a iPhone 3g?

Exactly what it looks like to me, why are people getting excited over some screenshots of 3.0? We already know what i can do, nothing new here.

XciteMe

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Exactly what it looks like to me, why are people getting excited over some screenshots of 3.0? We already know what i can do, nothing new here.

3.0 doesn't include Digital Compass... As far as speculation goes, that's only a 3rd Gen iPhone feature.

And if you look at the bottom right of the camera in action, there's clearly a slider between PHOTO icon and VIDEO icon.

3G cannot and will not do video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.