Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intel Inside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
You buy a pack of gum, just for the packaging,
Look at Comic Sans MS and "worst font ever" comes to mind,
Have your own website dedicated to Design

Share your own...

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
you always judge a book by its cover
your weekly sermon is to download iStockphoto's free image of the week.

destere

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
You see a Dulux 'We know the colours that go' van, look at the two colours on the van and think 'do these colours actually go?'.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
When...

• You know the CMYK splits for a number of Pantone solids by heart
• You can tell who knows what they're doing with type by looking at the spaces between words and the ends of the lines
• You don't hate any colour, they all have their uses
• You miss the smell of squeakers (as we used to call them) and the chalkiness of gouache
• You chafe, by instinct, against using A sizes for anything... despite practicality
• You pull apart cereal boxes and other packaging just to look at the spot plates on the bars
• You secretly start from the premise that the client is always wrong, in some way or another
• You have a love-hate relationship with printers, reps and pre-press guys (they're always guys)
• You do some of your best work listening to music, not sitting in silence
• You do some of your best work at 2am
• You really really like Helvetica, especially Neue, but never use it
• You really do care about matte displays
• You have a lot of black clothes... but you're not a goth
• You wish life had a history palette
• You post in threads like these, instead of working on that project that's causing problems
• You type your bullets

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
You constantly think 'Apple+Z' when you screw something up in real life.
You do hate flash sites.

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
You get annoyed when driving past gas stations and notice they have put the "8"s in the price signs upside down.

gregtuco

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Taos, NM
You're sitting in traffic and you start re-designing everything you see– billboards, signs, bumper stickers– by reflex.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
You know you are a designer when...

You repeatedly find yourself looking at packaging and wondering whether you're the only person in the whole world who knows that if you baseline shift text on a path down a few points, it stops doing those horrible gaps opening up between the bottom of the characters when the text hits a particularly tight curve in the path.

Seriously. It's everywhere. Don't they teach kids anything these days?

Also: if you absolutely must use ComicsCartoon, there are extrabold variants of all the numbers, and punctuation, built into the font. It's ALT-SHIFT and whatever key you would normally press.

Cheers!

Jim

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
...you absent-mindedly start proofing menus in restaurants, instead of choosing your meal.

Woodrow72

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2008
Utah
• You secretly start from the premise that the client is always wrong, in some way or another

So true!!

• You have a love-hate relationship with printers, reps and pre-press guys (they're always guys)

Not all printers/prepress guys are bad. I am a prepress guy and I know how to correctly design files and make them ready for press. Just like not all designers are self centered, egotistical pretty boys who dont want you to touch their native files even when they are not press ready in the slightest

• You do some of your best work listening to music, not sitting in silence

So true, just ad the working in the dark part and you're spot on

You start naming and criticizing fonts at inopportune times (i.e. on a date, at the movies, in the airport...)

On my first date with my wife I did this. Me "do you know what the name of that font is?" pointing to the menu at the restaurant. My wife "What? Font? umm no". Me "Its copperplate gothic bold." feeling good about myself. My wife "oh...you know what font that is huh?". Me "Yes!" now feeling like a total loser.

Its ok I guess my nerdiness charmed her in some way or another.

Ok so here's one of my own
You know you're a desiner when you can point out in movies, tv shows, etc. that the computer that is being used is a mac, and you can either name the model number or the generation of the computer.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
...you spend more time and money on your portfolio than you do on your clothes to present it.

idesign245

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
You name fonts used on commercials, posters and packaging in your head.

When you get a new apron at work, you do your name in helvetica...
n503744977_510964_1377799.jpg

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
You change one color by 1/16 a shade and it looks completely different to you.

You look at anything in Papyrus and throw up in your mouth a little bit.

You always think of ways a local business can change their logo ( especially here in El Paso, TX where everything looks like it was done in MS Paint or Word Art!!! )

You judge every business card you're given.

You bookmarks contain: fonts, other design blogs, brushes, Photoshop stuff (I'm still a newb sorta ) :D and random sites that have nothing to do with design, you just like the logo.

my site is in my sig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.