Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccoleman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Hi, i seem to be having overheating issues while gaming for long durations i experience random shutdowns.

I am considering buying one of those cooling mats to see if its any help. Do any of you have experience with these and care to reccomend one? I would prefer something quiet, but more concerned about effectiveness. the few that i have seen fan air from the bottom of the unit, but the mbp fans out the back so will those be effective?

Finlandboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
i don' think it matters if its a unibody mac, but i got a cheap ($30) Targus cooling mat at Target, its got two fans that blow cool air on the bottom of my powerbook g4 and is powered by one usb port...it really makes a big difference. i rarely ever hear the fans hard at work anymore...

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Hi, i seem to be having overheating issues while gaming for long durations i experience random shutdowns.
Pretty sure that shouldn't happen, so you might have a hardware issue. You might want to get your Mac looked at.

ccoleman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Pretty sure that shouldn't happen, so you might have a hardware issue. You might want to get your Mac looked at.

i am putting serious time in on a rather intensive game and playing with the lid closed. the macbook gets incredibly hot, but outside of the game i notice no issues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16834995510
not getting rave reviews on newegg, most saying the fan is too slow.

I have this model, and I can easily say that my MBP is now between 15-20c cooler with the Enermax aeolus cooling pad. To be honest, I don't care about they the complaints state, all I can say is that this is THE best cooling pad on the market bar none.

another point to consider regarding the fan speed - noise. The thing is near silent, that won't be the case if Enermax started ramping up the RPMs on the fan. It does the job silently so it really doesn't matter how fast/slow the fan speed it.

ccoleman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
I have this model, and I can easily say that my MBP is now between 15-20c cooler with the Enermax aeolus cooling pad. To be honest, I don't care about they the complaints state, all I can say is that this is THE best cooling pad on the market bar none.

another point to consider regarding the fan speed - noise. The thing is near silent, that won't be the case if Enermax started ramping up the RPMs on the fan. It does the job silently so it really doesn't matter how fast/slow the fan speed it.

thanks! gonna grab one!

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah. If your computer is overheating and shutting down something is very wrong. Buying accessories won't help.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
My mStand from newegg is supposed to be arriving tomorrow. It's 3lb solid piece of aluminum, and it's supposed to be able to work as a heat sink as well as a stand. Probably not as good as a cooling pad, but it's silent. I'm going to test it out when it comes.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
My mStand from newegg is supposed to be arriving tomorrow. It's 3lb solid piece of aluminum, and it's supposed to be able to work as a heat sink as well as a stand. Probably not as good as a cooling pad, but it's silent. I'm going to test it out when it comes.

any news on how it has worked out?

fillopastry

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009

What is the best program to monitor temperatures? Have an Aeolus cooling pad on order and would like to test it out once it arrives...

Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.