Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
ooh, yeah! good question. Sorry, I have nothing to add, other than that I'm interested in finding out too. lol

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Is there a way to group movies in itunes vs having every single one listed?

I want to for a direcotry...such as :Seinfeld, Family Guy, etc

thanks

Those are TV shows and should show up in your TV Show section. They should be broken down into the actual TV show like you mentioned above. If you were to click on that it would break them down by season. Then it would list the actual episodes.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
sorry if this is hijacking, but I do believe that only works if they are purchased from the itunes store. Mine are handbrake'd.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
The way that I did it was I downloaded a TV show from iTunes and I "right" clicked on it and clicked "get info". I then saw what info they had in theirs and copied that in the ones that I handbraked. For example, where they had the TV series name I put the TV series name. Where they put the season number and episode number I put that info. You can go so far as to put in the descriptions and everything.

The big thing for TV shows is to go to the options tab and set the Media Type to the correct type (Movie, TV Show or Music Video). If you don't do that everything will default to Movie and will show up in your movie section.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. If you have a lot of media it can take some work getting it all done. But in the end it is worth it if you care about everything being organized.

-JC-

geoffshep

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
UK
The way I did it was to put them into different genres - you can add your own genres too by selecting custom and typing in a name. It's not perfect but it does group them as required - not as good as having more options at the music/movie/tv show level though.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
i figured out the genres

however, is there a way to make it multi level?

i want this

a seinfeld folder- then the season- then the episodes in the season

Why are you putting TV Shows in your movies? They're sorted differently on purpose.

You should download MetaX and tag your TV Shows properly.

But, no, you can't sort movies into multi-level folders in iTunes.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
i figured out the genres

however, is there a way to make it multi level?

i want this

a seinfeld folder- then the season- then the episodes in the season

If you follow the directions that I gave you above it will show up that way. You will click on TV Shows on the left side menu. You also need to put it in grid view. Maybe that is where the issue is. Click on grid view and it will show you thumbnails until you get to the episode level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.