Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
:mad:

I checked the FedEx tracking web site and it said it was delivered at 8:43am (about two hours ago) and signed by someone I never heard of. I called FedEx and they said it was delivered to a business where someone signed for it... so, they're sending the driver back there to pick it up and bring it to me.

I hope nobody opened the box.

What recourse do I have if it has been opened and things have been tampered with? :(

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I would refuse it and have them send me another one, if it was opened that is. If not, hey, no harm no foul.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Yeah, if it's been opened I'll refuse to accept it. I hope that isn't the case though, I really don't want to wait 2 weeks for it to get shipped back and Apple ship me another one.

I just called FedEx again, and it sounds like they scanned the package back into their system... so it should be on a truck somewhere again.

Supposedly I'll get it sometime today. I just wish they would have gotten it right in the first place.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Everything should be ok. If I got a package that wasn't addressed to me, I wouldn't open it. And besides, if it was sent to a business, they would prob spend the time tracking down the supposed employee, and have them open it. And I doubt anyone would tamper with it. The first thing that I would think if I got shipped a nice computer in error is not "How can I mess this up for the real owner." I would be a bit anxious in your situation too, but I bet it is just alot of worrying about nothing.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
*sigh*

Now they're not delivering it until tomorrow, I wasted an entire day waiting for nothing. They couldn't even tell me what time it would be delivered tomorrow.

:mad:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, I'd offer to pick it up myself. And good thing you decided not to accept it if you find that it's opened. You don't want to accept responsibility/ownership if something in there is missing or whatever.

But no, don't worry because I'm sure nothing will be opened. It also wouldn't be my priority to screw around with someone elses package if I received it. Most people aren't that sinister. ;)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Koodauw said:
can you call Fedex and see if you can pick it ?

It was too late for me to pick it up today, and tomorrow I wouldn't be able to pick it up until late... so I'm better off just waiting again (assuming they ship it to the right place this time). :eek:

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
FedEx is terrible for that kind of stuff... I remember a few years ago when I ordered OS X 10.0 and they delivered it to an old lady who knew nothing about computers. Luckily she was nice enough to give us a call about it.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
atari1356 said:
Yeah, if it's been opened I'll refuse to accept it. I hope that isn't the case though, I really don't want to wait 2 weeks for it to get shipped back and Apple ship me another one.

If you need to send it back they can ship out a new one once fed ex has a tracking number assigned to it and apple should expedite it for you. When they had to send me another refurb. iMac they did just this for me. Don't settle for anything less. They even made arrangements for a Sat. delivery from Fed Ex for me!
Good luck
Johnny

Cypher3

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
This same thing happened to me except DHL was the company that screwed up. Luckily, the lady lived down the street and brought it to my house herself.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
If you want want to talk about horror storries in shipping. How about DHL losing my iPod mini in shipping. (It was sent in to Apple to be repaired.) This was last week.

Or how about the two iPod mini's that i ordered (for a friend) that was left with my neighbors in our apartment building. (that was fedex) Hummmm, two brand new iPod mini in the hands of college students....Luckily they brought them over to us.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
FedEx is a big headache :(

atari1356 said:
:mad: What recourse do I have if it has been opened and things have been tampered with? :(

If the goods were damaged due to FedEx's negligence, then they pick up the tab and not you.

A real hassle I know, but ultimately they are obligated to make things right for you.

Just be polite, but very firm. If you don't get any satisfaction, ask to speak to the supervisor or area manager. Don't waste your time with the workers, because they don't make the decisions.

Good luck.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
My PowerBook has arrived. :D

I came shipped in a plain brown box (plain except for a small Apple label), inside of that is the black Apple box... and there are no signs of tampering. I'll open it up in an hour or so when I have some free time.

Thanks for listening to me bitch and moan yesterday. :p

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I'm glad this had a happy ending, now we can all laugh at our delivery horror stories... Mine happened a couple of weeks ago... Fedex delivered my new eMac 3 days early... Sounds good right ?... Except that noone was home at the time ... So they decided to leave it in a concealed place... MY GARDEN !!! In the midst of April shower season... Luckily it wasn't raining at the time, & 5 hrs. later when I literally stumbled upon it still hadn't rained... All ended up well, but man , that seemed odd ...

spasticmutant

macrumors member
May 2, 2004
Santa Clara
Yin and Yang

jemeinc said:
I'm glad this had a happy ending, now we can all laugh at our delivery horror stories...

For every fortune there is a misfortune... I had absolutely no problem receiving my new powerbook. I arrived home from the airport around noon on a Friday, and before I dropped my bags the FexEx guys called to confirm that I was home. Within three minutes I was signing for my powerbook, and totally elated. The machine itself and all its accessories have been perfect in every way.

OTOH, my brother's delivery was a bit more sporting. My brother chased down the FexEx truck rather than wait another day since he missed the delivery person. He called FedEx, who had the driver call him on her cell and give him her current location and direction. my brother got in his car, drove around for about fifteen minutes, found the truck on the thoroughfare, signalled, it pulled over, and they transferred the boxes for his new powerbook and accessories on the side of the road. He knows the driver and she was cool with it. Other than that creepy feeling of taking a delivery by the side of the road like it's some kind of drug deal, it was fine.

So I guess what I'm saying is, FexEx-Powerbook-Delivery-Force-Balance is maintained. For every perfectly timed delivery like mine, somewhere else there's a delivery nightmare.

Anne Marie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.