Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:19 PM   #1
applecultvictim
Banned

Any news on TRIM ssd implementation for OS X.

Just had a read at wikipedia, look it up if you want too, about this interesting and important function for ssds and its implementation in os'es and was wondering whether anyone on the developping side had any news of snow leopard catering for that.
applecultvictim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
TIGOS
macrumors regular

yes... im waiting for this feature too...

this is very important to me, because I want to buy an SSD for use with the Snow
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
MrGando
macrumors member

Does anyone know if this will be available in Snow Leopard ???
MrGando is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 03:53 PM   #4
larkost
macrumors 6502a

If you closely read that Wiki article you will note that the TRIM command is not actually a standard yet, nor is it implemented in all (possibly most) SSD's. So what is your rush? This is not something that is really going to impact you much, and is something that different SSD vendors have been handling in different manners up to this point. It is very possible that MacOS X avoids this problem with its SSD vendors in a different way. TRIM is just an attempt to get a standard solution.

At some point when it is appropriate Apple can put this into a dot update, assuming that they have not already worked it (or another solution to the problem) in.
larkost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2009, 04:20 PM   #5
applecultvictim
Banned

Omg, didn't think anyone would reply. Thanks.

Btw, no sign about snow and trim, so I hate to think it's not gonna be there for the time being, also would love to see it as an update to leopard.
applecultvictim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 02:44 PM   #6
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Anything new on this subject? Snow leopard is coming before too long, and the new Intel SSD's that support trim should be available again anytime. I plan on getting the gen 2 SSD from Intel, but wonder if with OSX I will be able to take advantage of TRIM.
jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 09:44 PM   #7
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

I'm also interested in knowing this. I assume no news is bad news in this case.

BTW, there does appear to be a standard TRIM command now... ATA8-ACS2
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3625
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_(SSD_command)

Last edited by VirtualRain; Aug 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
VirtualRain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Mazda 3s
macrumors 6502

Intel just released TRIM firmware for their X-25M G2 and it works really well:

http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=805
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1112/1/
http://hothardware.com/Articles/Inte...rmance-Update/
Mazda 3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Infrared
macrumors 65816

Supported in Windows 7:

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...rives-and.aspx

Waiting for you, Apple. Tick tock tick tock...
Infrared is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:00 PM   #10
sidewinder
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post
Waiting for you, Apple. Tick tock tick tock...
Give us a break.......

S-
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Mr. Wonderful
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Give us a break.......

S-
LOL. Being able to get a significant performance improvement through software is kind of a big deal. Well at least the firmware by itself comes with a solid 20MB/s Write improvement.
Mr. Wonderful is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:37 PM   #12
sidewinder
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
LOL. Being able to get a significant performance improvement through software is kind of a big deal. Well at least the firmware by itself comes with a solid 20MB/s Write improvement.
Yeah, right. Maybe you need to look up what TRIM actually does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_%28SSD_command%29

S-
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Mr. Wonderful
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Yeah, right. Maybe you need to look up what TRIM actually does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_%28SSD_command%29

S-
I know what it does. It helps to maintain performance throughout the drive's life.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Whiteyez
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Whiteyez
I just got this from xbench (Snow Leopard 10.6.1), before and after i did the firmware ugprade with trim support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.png
Views:	333
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	200526   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.png
Views:	309
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	200527  

Macbook Pro 13″ 2.26GHz |160BG Intel® X25-M

Last edited by Whiteyez; Oct 26, 2009 at 04:13 PM.
Whiteyez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Amdahl
macrumors 65816

I don't mean to defend Apple, but is the TRIM command useful, in practice?

I know it helps in theory.

If a flash drive keeps a little capacity held back, it could use those empty blocks for new writes, and then recycle the old blocks afterwards. It's the same thing, isn't it? You've already got the write-leveling overhead, and this would just plug right in to that without any extra effort. TRIM would be useful for really large block erasures, but for smaller write patterns, a small set-aside would do the same thing.
Amdahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:30 PM   #16
Mazda 3s
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

If a flash drive keeps a little capacity held back, it could use those empty blocks for new writes, and then recycle the old blocks afterwards. It's the same thing, isn't it? You've already got the write-leveling overhead, and this would just plug right in to that without any extra effort. TRIM would be useful for really large block erasures, but for smaller write patterns, a small set-aside would do the same thing.
You don't seem to understand the benefit of TRIM. No matter what SSD you use, performance will drop (sometimes significantly) over time. TRIM eliminates this and it needs hardware and OS support. Intel and Indilinx have done their part on the hardware side. Microsoft has done it's part on the software side with Windows 7. The question is when will Apple do the same with OS X.

Read the AnandTech review above to see the great benefits if TRIM.
Mazda 3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:29 PM   #17
Mr. Wonderful
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

And going off of the Toms Hardware benchmarks, there are some performance gains (not from the firmware update), with TRIM enabled as well.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:30 PM   #18
Amdahl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
You don't seem to understand the benefit of TRIM. ...

Read the AnandTech review above to see the great benefits if TRIM.
I did read, and did see the improvements noted.

It looks like TRIM is useful for large/high volume write applications. For small write applications, the benefits of TRIM can be achieved without OS support by a flash drive that maintains a free block reserve, separate from the formatted capacity of the drive.

So, it is a useful capability that should be supported by Apple, although Intel does make a de-TRIM-ragmenter for Windows that can run automatically once a day to get similar effect on TRIM-unsupported OS, like Vista or XP. Perhaps a tool will exist for OSX soon as well.
Amdahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:00 AM   #19
CBlakeston
macrumors regular

FYI Samsung SSD drives come with a self-healing technology that the drive does itself. No operating system support needed. I'm sure as more SSD drives support the TRIM feature support in OSX will be added in a point update - silently like a ninja
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:11 AM   #20
sidewinder
macrumors 68020

But TRIM is not even an official standard yet. Are all TRIM implementations compatible?

Then look here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...3&postcount=16

TRIM is great in theory but not yet perfected. And we have people complaining that Apple has not implemented it yet? I think Apple is being prudent.

SSD's are going to be great. I just don't think they are ready for the mainstream user just yet.

S-
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:24 AM   #21
NATO
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlakeston View Post
FYI Samsung SSD drives come with a self-healing technology that the drive does itself. No operating system support needed. I'm sure as more SSD drives support the TRIM feature support in OSX will be added in a point update - silently like a ninja
Indeed they do (including the OCZ Summit SSD which uses a Samsung controller). They've also implemented the same garbage collection / self-healing tech in the new firmware for the OCZ Vertex range of SSDs using the Indilinx controller. The nice thing about this is that it works irrespective of Operating System.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:31 PM   #22
killerbee79
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlakeston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATO View Post
Indeed they do (including the OCZ Summit SSD which uses a Samsung controller). They've also implemented the same garbage collection / self-healing tech in the new firmware for the OCZ Vertex range of SSDs using the Indilinx controller. The nice thing about this is that it works irrespective of Operating System.
The garbage collection implemented by Samsung is a great thing indeed. However it will only work with an OS that has a NFTS file system, mainly Windows. This is because of how the garbage collection works. The Samsung controller will peek at the NTFS $bitmap to clear up unallocated areas during idle time.

Being Mac OS X uses a HFS+ file system it won't work with Mac's. So once again us Apple users are getting screwed. Below is a link to one article that mentions this. Just google it though and you can read all about it.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...=expert&pid=11

Or right here from the Corsair website ( P128 & P256 are rebranded Samsung SSD's ). Look down the FAQ until it talks about performance degradation. It states it must have the NTFS file system for garbage collection.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81190

Last edited by killerbee79; Nov 19, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
killerbee79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:49 PM   #23
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbee79 View Post
The garbage collection implemented by Samsung is a great thing indeed. However it will only work with an OS that has a NFTS file system, mainly Windows. This is because of how the garbage collection works. The Samsung controller will peek at the NTFS $bitmap to clear up unallocated areas during idle time.

Being Mac OS X uses a HFS+ file system it won't work with Mac's. So once again us Apple users are getting screwed. Below is a link to one article that mentions this. Just google it though and you can read all about it.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...=expert&pid=11

Or right here from the Corsair website ( P128 & P256 are rebranded Samsung SSD's ). Look down the FAQ until it talks about performance degradation. It states it must have the NTFS file system for garbage collection.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81190
The Support Admin on OCZ's forums states that garbage collection works regardless of OS.

I think you are confusing GC with TRIM which currently, only works with NTFS.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:19 AM   #24
killerbee79
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
The Support Admin on OCZ's forums states that garbage collection works regardless of OS.

I think you are confusing GC with TRIM which currently, only works with NTFS.
No, actually I'm not. I know full well what TRIM is. Samsung does not support TRIM, hasn't even made an attempt yet. Although they say they are working on TRIM support. This is their work around until this happens. It is not TRIM, it is garbage collection.

the support admin on OCZ might be making a general comment or is mistaken. I don't know because I haven't read his comments. Maybe you could provide a link.

Every company has a different implementation of garbage collection. Some implementations might very well work in any OS, Samsung's does not. Its as I described and provided links for. It is well documented in many places, just google it.
killerbee79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:58 PM   #25
cool11
macrumors 65816

So, can somebody please tell us what we are waiting for, all the mac users, in order to obtain and use ssd disks without problems, as windows 7 users already do?
cool11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X