Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hostage46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
So the old girl runs just fine, dusted her off, updated the OS. I did the trial of Enrourage and is was OK, but I'm thinking of a going the parallels route...and just installing office on the Mac....

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2

Any reason not to press on and go for it?

Dan in Dallas...

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You would need Virtual PC, which is an emulator (it has to translate the Intel instruction set to PPC). It would work, but it would not be a great solution for everyday Office use. If OS-X Entourage worked at all for you, stick with that.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I don't think VPC even works on the G5, unless MS did an update to it.

Virtual PC does work on the G5 with the latest/last version that was available, but had some issues with OS X 10.5.x - if memory serves, I think it was an issue with the optical drive not working. The work around was to use an ISO disc image instead of the actual optical drive.

PrincessPeach

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
I use Virtual PC on my faithful G5 (dual 2.5GHz) and it absolutely crawls - can't even run anything demanding at all, and most things it can run are well below acceptable speed for work use. It's useful for the odd task and opening otherwise useless files to convert but I'd never recommend it as a viable alternative option to an office package running natively on your machine.

If it's just Office go with a proper Mac version (I have Microsoft Office v.X which is ancient but I've yet to need to upgrade enough to do so) or one of the OpenOffice/NeoOffice options, you'll go crazy doing that kind of thing in VPC.

Parallels as mentioned is for Intel machines only. The performance gap between Parallels on an Intel machine and Virtual PC on an old Mac is worlds apart, unfortunately. That doesn't mean that your G5 can't earn its keep using traditional OSX applications though.

CaptainJeff

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
Elkridge, Maryland; USA
For the record, all of the Intel chips used in Macs has Intel's VT technologies, meaning the chip itself supports virtualization. Doing it at the chip-level in place of at the software level (as the earliest versions of VMware did) gives modern hypervisor-based systems (including Fusion and Parallels) the speed that we all enjoy.

PowerPC chips did/do not support virtualization at the chip level. And, even if they did, you would be trying to run Windows within the VM which does not run on a PowerPC ISA so you would need emulation/conversation anyway.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
VPC crawls. Even my Dual core 2.3 can only muster enough power to emulate performance of a 500mhz PentiumIII. A single 1.6 would be lucky to make equivalent of 300mhz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.