Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old May 14, 2004, 09:10 PM   #1
phreakout13
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to phreakout13
why does my HD folder keep moving?

Hi
I like my Hard Drive folder in the upper-right corner of my desktop, and it never stays there. Every time I log back into my account, it's somewhere else like below some other folders. It makes me mad, can anyone help? Thanks
Old May 14, 2004, 09:18 PM   #2
HexMonkey
Administrator

Have you got any other icons near the top right corner? Try moving them away, and see what happens.

AFAIK, the system remembers the exact positions of any folders and files on your desktop, but not disks, cds etc. When you log in, it puts the folders and files in the exact position that they were, and then places disks in the most top-right position it can find. So then, if you have folder/icons near the top-right corner, it will place your hard drive icon somewhere else.
HexMonkey is offline   0
Old May 14, 2004, 10:18 PM   #3
raiderz182
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to raiderz182
happens to me too... never really cared that much though until you brung it up, i normally just moved it back
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:18 PM   #4
mfarley
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to mfarley
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexMonkey
Have you got any other icons near the top right corner? Try moving them away, and see what happens.

AFAIK, the system remembers the exact positions of any folders and files on your desktop, but not disks, cds etc. When you log in, it puts the folders and files in the exact position that they were, and then places disks in the most top-right position it can find. So then, if you have folder/icons near the top-right corner, it will place your hard drive icon somewhere else.
To the best of my knowledge there is no option to 'remember' or stick icons to an affixed grid. Is that correct?

This happens all the time on my iBook and it drives me nuts. Rarely does it remember the placement of my icons (3) and I have to re-arrange them everytime.

Rather annoying.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:45 PM   #5
yellow

On the occasional machines this happens on, I turn on "Keep arranged by Kind" in the Desktop custom view options. It takes some getting used to, but it at least guarantees that your disks/partitions will always show up in the top right.
yellow is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2004, 03:26 PM   #6
emw
macrumors 603

I've never had a problem with my boot drive moving, but when I used to have the FileVault turned on, I noticed that I would start getting duplicate "ghost" copies of folders on my desktop. That is, I would see two copies of a file or folder, but if I trashed one, they both went away. If I moved one, they generally both moved randomly. Eventually I just turned off FileVault and it all went away. Weird.
emw is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2004, 03:38 PM   #7
LeeTom
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarley
To the best of my knowledge there is no option to 'remember' or stick icons to an affixed grid. Is that correct?
You can align to a grid:
Click on the Desktop
Go to View... Show View Options ( or hit Command-J)
Check "Snap to Grid"

Lee Tom
Old Aug 11, 2004, 03:41 PM   #8
cpjakes
macrumors 6502

The other thing you can do (at least I think you can, it worked under OS 9) was to record a script while you position your icons where you want them. Save the script and run it at login (or double-click it) and it should reposition them automatically.

cpjakes
cpjakes is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2004, 01:21 AM   #9
mfarley
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to mfarley
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeTom
You can align to a grid:
Click on the Desktop
Go to View... Show View Options ( or hit Command-J)
Check "Snap to Grid"

Lee Tom
Will see if this helps any, thanks. =)

cpjakes-

Will give it a go if the alignment doesn't work.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 01:30 AM   #10
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

A HD isn't a permanent folder it's dynamically added every time you log back in, which probably will means at the end of the line where new stuff would drop onto the desktop.

If you don't want the HD to move, don't let it appear on the desktop (Finder Preferences) and use an alias to stick the HD where you want it.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 01:43 AM   #11
Kingsnapped
macrumors 6502a

Kinda weird.. I just started experiencing this myself.

...goes off to open another "OMG DONT GET 10.3.5!!!" thread.
Kingsnapped is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion