Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 15, 2009, 03:12 PM   #1
bhsu21
macrumors 6502

What exactly will "Erase All Content and Settings" and "Reset All Settings" do?

If I use "Erase All Settings" and/or "Reset All Settings" on my Iphone, will that erase everything on the Iphone except the basic apps?

Will I lose my unlock and jailbreak?

I want to give my Iphone to my girlfriend but want to clean it up a bit.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:55 AM   #2
iPhoneKiller
macrumors newbie

Yes, After erasing all content and settings it will force your phone into recovery mode. The phone must be plugged into iTunes and restored.

You will want to restore to an older IPSW file like 2.1 etc.

After you do that you should be able to put the jail breaking software back on and reinstall all of your applications.

I do not recommend resetting all content and settings because it can take a long to do. Sometimes multiple hours.

You will not lose your unlock, but you will lose the jailbreak software because you are restoring the software back to factory settings.
iPhoneKiller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:09 PM   #3
HiFiGuy528
macrumors 68000

I was thinking about doing "erase all content & settings" prior to installing OS 3.0 and then JB it. I know it takes a long time, but I can have it run overnight and do the "fresh" install and JB next morning. Main reason is that my JB iPhone 3G is a bit laggy after the JB. This should remove all including hiden files from JB, right?

Your thoughts?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:20 PM   #4
chosenwolf
macrumors 6502a

I have a question. After "Erase all content and settings" is hit, can the phone be brought back to normal? Or is it impossible to access the phone and it's content? This all before the process completes.

Anyone know??
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:39 PM   #5
foob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjAmTraX View Post
I was thinking about doing "erase all content & settings" prior to installing OS 3.0 and then JB it. I know it takes a long time, but I can have it run overnight and do the "fresh" install and JB next morning. Main reason is that my JB iPhone 3G is a bit laggy after the JB. This should remove all including hiden files from JB, right?

Your thoughts?
As far as I know, yes. I did that before going to 3.0, and the phone wouldn't even start after erasing. You have to restore. My iTunes wouldn't even recognize the phone and I had to put it into DFU mode first. Just select 3.0 to restore it to, then JB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedG35 View Post
I have a question. After "Erase all content and settings" is hit, can the phone be brought back to normal? Or is it impossible to access the phone and it's content? This all before the process completes.

Anyone know??
Once you select erase, it asks you a couple of times if you really want to. When you say yes to that, you get a black screen with an Apple logo and a progress bar and no way to stop the process, as far as I could tell.
foob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Mystikal
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Mystikal
I know this is an old thread but im concerned.

My ipod (wrong forum, i know) keeps restarting over and over with the apple logo and that white little loading circle under it. Its been happening for about 30 minutes. Is this supposed to be happening? Its been running for a little over 2 hours total.
Mystikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:13 AM   #7
mafr22
macrumors newbie

what to do after errase all content and settings???

you are experiencing what is called a SWOD (Spinning Wheel Of Death). All is not lost! What you’ll need to do is get it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode and restore.

This is the easiest way to boot into DFU mode:

* Plug iPhone into PC (or Mac)
* Press-and-hold the sleep button and home button until the device force-powers off. (about 10 seconds)
* Release the sleep button, but still hold the home button. Do this until you hear the device connected sound on the computer.
* You may now release the home button, to test that it works, go into iTunes, it should say that an iPhone is connected, and has to be restored.
mafr22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 05:03 PM   #8
STEVESKI07
macrumors 68000

I understand the "Erase All Settings" will undo the jailbreak, but does anybody know if the "Reset All Settings" will undo the jailbreak as well? I'm having issues getting the new carrier file installed on my 3gs running 3.0.1 and I want to give this a shot. "Reset Network Settings" didn't undo my jailbreak but it also didn't fix my problem.
STEVESKI07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:45 PM   #9
majorboner82
macrumors newbie

Unhappy help please!

It's been 12 hours since I erased all the contents and settings of my unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2g 8gb. All I'm seeing is the Spinning Wheel of Death! Does it really take that long?! It's been 12 hours. Please help!
majorboner82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:12 AM   #10
dhlizard
macrumors G3

If you want to clean it up, just restore to official Apple IPSW (unless you want to re-JB and unlock), then choose set up as new.

It is not necessary to waste time (like 12 hours) on this.

The end result is the same.

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:46 AM   #11
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorboner82 View Post
It's been 12 hours since I erased all the contents and settings of my unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2g 8gb. All I'm seeing is the Spinning Wheel of Death! Does it really take that long?! It's been 12 hours. Please help!
On the 2G and 3G it overwrites the entire memory with 0's, so it takes quite a while. I'm not sure about 12 hours, though. Give it another couple of hours, then try to put it in DFU mode.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:52 AM   #12
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
At most it should take 2 hours.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:09 AM   #13
neonbright
macrumors member

Quote:
That happned to me with my first 3GS and I had to make it go into DFU mode after about 12 hours, to get it to connect to iTunes. It contine to act up so I exchange it out with Apple but the new phone iboot.
neonbright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 06:07 AM   #14
leott
macrumors newbie

Exclamation 12 hours +....no luck

Quote:
I'm having the same problem? Were you able to fix this???
leott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:25 AM   #15
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leott View Post
I'm having the same problem? Were you able to fix this???
If you deleted the settings and content, the only fix is a restore !

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:53 PM   #16
iphoneguy101
macrumors newbie

????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
At most it should take 2 hours.
it took me a half hour ( with the restoring part.) sorry for the bump i forgot to check

Last edited by iphoneguy101; Jul 24, 2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: forgot something (twice)
iphoneguy101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:26 PM   #17
ClutchThese
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ClutchThese
^^^woopsie!
ClutchThese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:01 PM   #18
TheConfuzed1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheConfuzed1
Next time, before you respond to a thread, check the date!
GameCenter: theconfuzed1
TheConfuzed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 03:09 AM   #19
reevancouver
macrumors newbie

Iphone 4

I have bought an iphone4. i tried to sync with itunes but itunes does not recognise the iphone.
then i erase all content and settings. and now it says connect to itunes. but itunes does not recognize. what should i do?
reevancouver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 10:01 AM   #20
awadeee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevancouver View Post
I have bought an iphone4. i tried to sync with itunes but itunes does not recognise the iphone.
then i erase all content and settings. and now it says connect to itunes. but itunes does not recognize. what should i do?
Try putting it in DFU mode and restore. Next time try not to reply to an old ass thread, just make a new one.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:18 PM   #21
DanielPM
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevancouver View Post
How lond did it take you to erase all contect and settings?
DanielPM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:53 PM   #22
jauser
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Won't lose unlock for which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneKiller View Post

I do not recommend resetting all content and settings because it can take a long to do. Sometimes multiple hours.

You will not lose your unlock, but you will lose the jailbreak software because you are restoring the software back to factory settings.
So do you mean that you won't lose your unlock for [Erase All Settings] or was it [Reset All Settings]?
jauser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:50 PM   #23
Sek87
macrumors newbie

Question

I did the "erase content and settings" without a sim card in the phone, so I pressed ok for the reset and it did its thing, with the apple logo and progress bar and then it restarted the phone and what not and I came to the "set-up iPhone" crap and because I didn't have a sim card in it I couldn't actually get past the set up. I just want to know whether or not my content was erased because I sold my phone and shipped it off and I really don't want there to be any content on it...
Sek87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:53 PM   #24
hackthatphone
macrumors 68000

Perhaps a dictionary is in order?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 08:05 PM   #25
tracer101
macrumors newbie

Serious Question

Hi, so today I jailbroke my ipad and cannot stand it. If I press reset all settings will it do the same as system restore in itunes? I've already backed it up.
tracer101 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks