Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:50 PM   #1
jrm27
macrumors 6502

Using iphone as a bluetooth mouse?

Hi all:

I was browsing through the app store last night and saw an app that allows the iphone to be used as a mouse over a wireless network. That is pretty cool, but does anyone know of an app that allwos similar functionality over bluetooth?

I have a little dell mini 9 netbook running OSX, and I'd love to be able to use my ipod as a mouse for it. If I'm at home I can use the wifi connection to make it happen, but when I'm not at home (when I mostly use my netbook) a lot of places that I find myself don't have wifi.... so the app would become somewhat useless.

it's a longshot, but does anyone have any ideas?

-jon
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:54 PM   #2
sgrizzle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm27 View Post
Hi all:

I was browsing through the app store last night and saw an app that allows the iphone to be used as a mouse over a wireless network. That is pretty cool, but does anyone know of an app that allwos similar functionality over bluetooth?

I have a little dell mini 9 netbook running OSX, and I'd love to be able to use my ipod as a mouse for it. If I'm at home I can use the wifi connection to make it happen, but when I'm not at home (when I mostly use my netbook) a lot of places that I find myself don't have wifi.... so the app would become somewhat useless.

it's a longshot, but does anyone have any ideas?

-jon
Considering the iPhone has had the ability to perform tasks like that over bluetooth for only the last 26 hours or so, I would say it's a HUGE longshot to find an app for it.
3 time iPhone launch day veteran.
sgrizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
You could set up an ad hoc wifi network...
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:19 PM   #4
jrm27
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrizzle View Post
Considering the iPhone has had the ability to perform tasks like that over bluetooth for only the last 26 hours or so, I would say it's a HUGE longshot to find an app for it.
Ahh, I didn't even know that type of communication was part of the new functionality. I know the wifi app has been around for a while, and had been thinking about a bluteooth app for a few months. The fact that I asked today is just coincidence.

How does one setup an ad-hoc wifi network without a router?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:28 AM   #5
jack44556677
macrumors newbie

in case anyone was wondering, this has been resolved. Simply install Air Mouse Pro on your iPhone through the app store and enable tethering on your iPhone. (see google). Once this is done you can join a pan with your computer either mac or pc with Bluetooth and the server software installed. I am using it right now while the laptop is on wifi Internet, and it is nothing less than spectacular. The best Bluetooth remote in the world until someone makes one with a more customizable interface.
jack44556677 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:08 PM   #6
sauvage7
macrumors newbie

WeBe Bluetooth Mouse

Hello!

Now there is an app especially treating bluetooth:

WeBe Bluetooth Mouse

(It works also on Wi-Fi and Cable (Tethering))

It's new, just released on 5th January 2010.

WeBe, a computer mouse app for the iPhone or the iPod touch, lets you have all the functions of a normal Bluetooth mouse in your pocket! The screen of the iPhone or iPod touch serves as a trackpad.

Download the free WeBe-Server software from this site (http://www.weblooks.ch/en/webe/) and run it on your Mac. Then, start the Webe client on your iPhone / iPod touch and you can start using your mouse!

Cheers

Gabe
sauvage7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:13 PM   #7
gtvracer
macrumors newbie

WeBe Bluetooth won't work..

On my 3GS 3.1.2, the Bluetooth method doesn't work on SL 10.6.2. Of course it will work if off WiFi or USB cable tethered, but not using BT. Mac recognizes the iPhone and connect to it as a SmartPhone, but WeBeServer does not connect to it.
Any ideas? I emailed WeBe, but haven't heard from them.
gtvracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 01:09 PM   #8
sauvage7
macrumors newbie

Hello gtvracer!

When did you e-mail us?

Well, you have many possibilities on how to connect your mouse directly. If Bluetooth does not work for you, like described in our Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drY5ZMshLZ8), I recommend that you use it via Ad-Hoc. It's a direct connection between your Mac and your iPhone / iPod touch and it's set up in a couple of seconds!
Described here in the lower-middle section: http://www.weblooks.ch/en/webe/

If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to write us an e-mail

Cheers

Gabe
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:50 AM   #9
sauvage7
macrumors newbie

WeBe now also for Windows!

The WeBe Server works now on Mac OS X and Windows platforms. Just download it from the website http://www.weblooks.ch/en/webe/ for free!

Regards

Gabe
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:01 AM   #10
dalejrsfan
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack44556677 View Post
in case anyone was wondering, this has been resolved. Simply install Air Mouse Pro on your iPhone through the app store and enable tethering on your iPhone. (see google). Once this is done you can join a pan with your computer either mac or pc with Bluetooth and the server software installed. I am using it right now while the laptop is on wifi Internet, and it is nothing less than spectacular. The best Bluetooth remote in the world until someone makes one with a more customizable interface.
+1
dalejrsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Proshuto
macrumors newbie

Trackpad, but not a movable mouse

AFAIK, Webe and many other similar apps turn iPhone into a trackpad. Now, solely in the aspect of cursor movement this is just like a trackpad on my laptop, and I prefer to use a wireless (bluetooth) mouse.
Does anyone know about an app which turns the iPhone into a moveable mouse taking advantage of its accelerometric capability.

thanks
Proshuto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:15 PM   #12
zeigerpuppy
macrumors member

if you can't tether, try tetherme

My network does not allow tethering, so I installed tetherme from Cydia.
Works beautifully, gives access to carrier settings too. tried on iphone 4 4.0.1 and 3GS
zeigerpuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:15 PM   #13
jonnymacuser
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauvage7 View Post
The WeBe Server works now on Mac OS X and Windows platforms. Just download it from the website http://www.weblooks.ch/en/webe/ for free!

Regards

Gabe

Wow -- this is VERY hard to get working. I am into my second DAY of trying to get this app to work.

1) first you get the app on your iPhone;

2) then you download the WeBe server on your windoze machine;

3) then you need Bonjour print server;

4) then you need to update your Java;

5) then you still CANT GET IT TO WORK!!

Totally worth the $2
jonnymacuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting