Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20, 2004, 07:40 AM   #1
MattG
macrumors 68040
 
MattG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Help--There's a screw in my Powerbook that WON'T stay screwed in!

Well, what can I do? There's a screw in the battery compartment of my Powerbook that keeps coming unscrewed, and it's actually one of the screws that holds down the palm-rest area (I can tell when the screw has become loose again because I see the gap between the plastic binding and the metal under-part of the computer). Is there something I can use to make this thing stay screwed in?
MattG is offline   0
Old May 20, 2004, 07:50 AM   #2
aswitcher
macrumors 603
 
aswitcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney OZ
Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
Well, what can I do? There's a screw in the battery compartment of my Powerbook that keeps coming unscrewed, and it's actually one of the screws that holds down the palm-rest area (I can tell when the screw has become loose again because I see the gap between the plastic binding and the metal under-part of the computer). Is there something I can use to make this thing stay screwed in?

Well I dont know. It doesn't sound too bad...that is you dont appeared to be screwed
__________________
Switcher since June '04
iPhone 4GS | 27" iMac | Elgato EyeTV/IceTV | SecuritySpy User
aswitcher is offline   0
Old May 20, 2004, 08:01 AM   #3
iGav
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
If the screw is tightening and then coming loose then go to your local hobby store and buy a tube of Tamiya Liquid Threadlock, apply a small amount of this to the thread of the screw, tighten up and leave it for a couple of hours. And that should do the trick . Threadlock is similar to a weak glue that will stop the screw from working it's way loose, but won't affect you undoing the screw if you ever need to.

If however the screw never full tightens then the screw thread is probably damaged, so you'll need to get a replacement from Apple.
__________________
Me.
iGav is offline   0
Old May 20, 2004, 08:20 AM   #4
MattG
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
MattG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGAV
If the screw is tightening and then coming loose then go to your local hobby store and buy a tube of Tamiya Liquid Threadlock, apply a small amount of this to the thread of the screw, tighten up and leave it for a couple of hours. And that should do the trick . Threadlock is similar to a weak glue that will stop the screw from working it's way loose, but won't affect you undoing the screw if you ever need to.

If however the screw never full tightens then the screw thread is probably damaged, so you'll need to get a replacement from Apple.
Thanks!
The screw isn't stripped, it just keeps coming loose--from the heat maybe?

I'll pick some of this up.
MattG is offline   0
Old May 20, 2004, 08:27 AM   #5
poopyhead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGAV
If the screw is tightening and then coming loose then go to your local hobby store and buy a tube of Tamiya Liquid Threadlock, apply a small amount of this to the thread of the screw, tighten up and leave it for a couple of hours. And that should do the trick . Threadlock is similar to a weak glue that will stop the screw from working it's way loose, but won't affect you undoing the screw if you ever need to.

If however the screw never full tightens then the screw thread is probably damaged, so you'll need to get a replacement from Apple.
after I dropped my ibook and broke the logic board (which apple fixed for free ) I had a similar problem
I used threadlock and have had no problems for over a year
poopyhead is offline   0
Old May 20, 2004, 08:33 AM   #6
MattG
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
MattG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyhead
after I dropped my ibook and broke the logic board (which apple fixed for free ) I had a similar problem
I used threadlock and have had no problems for over a year
Yeah, I'm thinking something similar happened to me. I had to send this computer back twice for white spots on the screen, and I'm thinking Apple just didn't bother to re-threadlock the screws when they were done.
MattG is offline   0
Old May 20, 2004, 09:07 AM   #7
iGav
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
Thanks!
The screw isn't stripped, it just keeps coming loose--from the heat maybe?
the heat might have something to do with it I guess... expanding and shrinking.. but that probably has a minimal impact. It's more likely that just general useage, moving it around and gentle vibrations is causing it to come loose.

I recommended the Tamiya Liquid Threadlock as it's formulated for RC Car use, so it's easy on plastic, so it won't cause any damage should it come into contact with anything. But any similar kind of brand will do the job.

I hope it sorts it though!
__________________
Me.
iGav is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My TV shows won't stay on my Apple TV. d.schomburg Apple TV and Home Theater 2 Jan 4, 2009 08:40 PM
My ipod touch won't stay off & is not charging acutezza iPod touch 6 Oct 1, 2008 03:19 PM
How to hide an app. icon (MenuShade) that won't stay hidden in dock?? Aniej Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Apr 11, 2007 07:55 AM
Firefox is screwing up my Powerbook KevRC4130 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 12 Aug 25, 2004 10:18 PM
won't stay logged in, please help Ja Di ksw Mac Help/Tips 1 Apr 14, 2003 04:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC