Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
gerfuls
macrumors member

Question Carrier information "Not Available" after 3.0 jailbreak

Being all excited to get my iPhone 3G running 3.0 jailbroken, I downloaded PwnageTool 3.0 and built my custom firmware. Went into DFU without any problems, selected my custom firmware, waited....., and then when my iPhone was was finished I looked up into the top left corner only to see 1 bar of signal and no "AT&T" logo. When I went to Settings > General > About > Carrier read "Not Available." So obviously I have no cell service now. No SMS, Calls, Internet (except wifi). What did I do wrong??? My specs:

Mac OS 10.5.7
PwnageTool 3.0
iPhone 3G 8GB
iTunes 8.2

Please help me!

Last edited by gerfuls; Jun 19, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
gerfuls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:57 PM   #2
gerfuls
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerfuls View Post
Being all excited to get my iPhone 3G running 3.0 jailbroken, I downloaded PwnageTool 3.0 and built my custom firmware. Went into DFU without any problems, selected my custom firmware, waited....., and then when my iPhone was was finished I looked up into the top left corner only to see 1 bar of signal and no "AT&T" logo. When I went to Settings > General > About > Carrier read "Not Available." So obviously I have no cell service now. No SMS, Calls, Internet (except wifi). What did I do wrong??? My specs:

Mac OS 10.5.7
PwnageTool 3.0
iPhone 3G 8GB
iTunes 8.2

Please help me!
found a possible solution for anyone who may have similar issues. When creating my firmware I had been going through expert mode so i could turn off the custom boot logos and now i realize that i had left the "activate phone" option on under general which is on by default. if you turn this off it should work correctly. I'll let you know when/if i confirm the fix.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Tokiopop
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Tokiopop Send a message via Skype™ to Tokiopop
Yeah, activating (well, hacktivating since it's activating the iPhone unofficially via hacks) an already activated iPhone screws things up. Restore and start over, and only choose expert mode if you're an expert

I'm afraid your sarcasm detectors are broken, good sir.
Tokiopop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:14 PM   #4
gerfuls
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokiopop View Post
Yeah, activating (well, hacktivating since it's activating the iPhone unofficially via hacks) an already activated iPhone screws things up. Restore and start over, and only choose expert mode if you're an expert
haha thanks. i thought i wouldnt have any issues with expert mode since i had used it before on 2.2.1
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:18 PM   #5
gerfuls
macrumors member

anyways that was the issue and i just confirmed it was fixed through what i posted above for anyone else who was the issue
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:59 AM   #6
AlcoholicFrog
macrumors newbie

Quote:
anyways that was the issue and i just confirmed it was fixed through what i posted above for anyone else who was the issue
Thanks for posting what you found! I did the exact same thing. The only thing I remain ticked at myself for is that I let the phone go through the entire first sync and got it all set up... only to have to do it again...
AlcoholicFrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:15 PM   #7
duffsrp
macrumors member

Thanks Forum Friends. I thought I was an expert as well. But with 3.1.2. Started to think I was going to have to reinstall with the legit 3.1.2. I'm going to give this a try.
duffsrp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:21 PM   #8
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:

Mac OS 10.5.7
PwnageTool 3.0
iPhone 3G 8GB
iTunes 8.2

Please help me!
Just be advised when updating and jailbreaking your phone to firmware 3.1 or 3.1.2 with the lower baseband (4.26.xx) the lower baseband does not correctly report the carrier info to the firmware.

What that means is that even if you set up the IPSW correctly, there will be no carrier name in the status bar and the Settings/General/About will show not available.

You should have service bars if you made the correct choice for activate phone, yes or no. This a cosmetic bug and does not effect the ability of the phone to make and receive cellular service.

Look for me here
dhlizard is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:24 PM   #9
milerich
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
Just be advised when updating and jailbreaking your phone to firmware 3.1 or 3.1.2 with the lower baseband (4.26.xx) the lower baseband does not correctly report the carrier info to the firmware.

What that means is that even if you set up the IPSW correctly, there will be no carrier name in the status bar and the Settings/General/About will show not available.

You should have service bars if you made the correct choice for activate phone, yes or no. This a cosmetic bug and does not effect the ability of the phone to make and receive cellular service.

I have modem firmware 04.26.08, so I guess this is the lower baseband?

I deactivated the phone in expert mode like I was supposed to do. No carrier icon shows for AT&T. The phone works just great without this, but my question is this:

Will AT&T assume I don't have service, or is this just the baseband reporting to the Apple firmware?
milerich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:44 PM   #10
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milerich View Post
I have modem firmware 04.26.08, so I guess this is the lower baseband?

I deactivated the phone in expert mode like I was supposed to do. No carrier icon shows for AT&T. The phone works just great without this, but my question is this:

Will AT&T assume I don't have service, or is this just the baseband reporting to the Apple firmware?
It's cosmetic, just the carrier logo doesn't appear in the status bar and it says Not Available in the Settings/General/About box

Has nothing to do with your service. It's not reporting anything to AT&T or anybody, just cosmetic.

Look for me here
dhlizard is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:48 PM   #11
milerich
macrumors regular

I thought so. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
milerich is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks