Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haub

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Yep. I'm coming from a first gen and it's very noticeable. Almost to the point that I might return it. Makes everything look washed out as well. Almost like a cleartype font when looking at black text against a white background. I know that last year the 3g upgraders really complained as well. I think they just got used to it as a purported firmware update to address the issue turned out to be a placebo.

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Yes, I think there's a batch of defective screens. This is NOT normal.

My buddy and I both got 3G Ses today. Upon turning mine on, I noticed a yellow tint to the screen. Holding our phones side by side showed that his was a neutral color temp and mine wasn't.

Comparing it to my old 3G showed the same thing.

I called Apple and they are overnighting me a new phone.

This was very hard to photograph, and I'm not sure how well you'll be able to see the difference on a non-calibrated monitor. It's much more noticeable in person.

Click for big.

TapOut

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Erie, PA
yeah mines not yellowish..it might be but

i notice that the icons on the 3G S are lighter colors

like EVERY app. compaired to a 3G my gf is running on 3.0 all her apps seem the right color. darker

and on my 3G S they are lighter for some reason

and its not brightness because i have check both of ours and made sure its on the same brightness.

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
You should also note that the original iPhones had a blue tint to their screens, as the color temperature was set cooler.

They warmed up the temperature on the 3G screens, which made it more neutral.

The 3G S should be very similar to the 3G, albeit a smidgen brighter.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Yes, I think there's a batch of defective screens. This is NOT normal.

My buddy and I both got 3G Ses today. Upon turning mine on, I noticed a yellow tint to the screen. Holding our phones side by side showed that his was a neutral color temp and mine wasn't.

Comparing it to my old 3G showed the same thing.

I called Apple and they are overnighting me a new phone.

This was very hard to photograph, and I'm not sure how well you'll be able to see the difference on a non-calibrated monitor. It's much more noticeable in person.

Click for big.

Ugh I can definitely tell that its messed up :(

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I really hope mine isn't jaundiced. My current 3G has very neutral colours and i love that. If the new one has a yellow tinge...it might be enough to put me off...causing me to return it

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Mine looks exactly like my iPhone 3G.

Go directly to the Genius Bar. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

datamage

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
This was the first thing I noticed when I powered on my 3G S. I don't have the yellow tinge, but the colors do look more pale compared to my 3G.

Honestly though, I'm not sure which look I prefer, the 3G looks looks like a 'vivid' mode compared to my 3G S, which can come off a bit too strong.

I'll try to take pics later.

TapOut

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Erie, PA
This was the first thing I noticed when I powered on my 3G S. I don't have the yellow tinge, but the colors do look more pale compared to my 3G.

Honestly though, I'm not sure which look I prefer, the 3G looks looks like a 'vivid' mode compared to my 3G S, which can come off a bit too strong.

I'll try to take pics later.

yeah same thing with me.. i do not have a yellow ting BUT my colors ARE paler

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
So does anyone who can compare their 3GS to an older ipod/iphone not have a yellowish screen? Will all 3GS be like this, or is this just a bad batch problem?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So does anyone who can compare their 3GS to an older ipod/iphone not have a yellowish screen? Will all 3GS be like this, or is this just a bad batch problem?

This is NOT a bad batch. It's called "variance" between LCD screens. I posted elsewhere earlier, but I picked up two iPhone 3GSs today, and one has a yellower screen than the other. It was the same thing last year with my iPhone 3G. Mine was yellower than my wife's. It does suck, though, that the variance seems to be quite a bit this year, perhaps even more than last year. I wouldn't call it defective per se, but I can definitely see people exchanging their iPhones for this issue.

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
This is NOT a bad batch. It's called "variance" between LCD screens. I posted elsewhere earlier, but I picked up two iPhone 3GSs today, and one has a yellower screen than the other. It was the same thing last year with my iPhone 3G. Mine was yellower than my wife's. It does suck, though, that the variance seems to be quite a bit this year, perhaps even more than last year. I wouldn't call it defective per se, but I can definitely see people exchanging their iPhones for this issue.

So can we wait a bit and get a yellow tinted 3GS exchanged via apple care once the symptoms become less common? (as they did with the 3G)

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I have this same problem with my 3GS as well. I wonder if there's any pattern as to which models are affected. Mine is a black, 32GB.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I DEFINITELY have the yellow tint. Holding my 16GB 3G S (purchased from Apple online) up next to my 1st Gen is like night and day. 3G S is dingy yellow background and washed out blacks...1st Gen is bright white with sharp dark blacks.
Gonna return the 3G S tomorrow for a new one.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
mine has a slightly yellow tint as well, but only at low brightness setting. I turned up the brightness one step and it looks fine to me

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
Mine seems a little on the yellow side also. Much different than my 2G. I don't think it looks bad though, like there is anything wrong with it. Just different whites. It did help by turning up the brightness a little bit.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Try turning up your brightness. My looks yellow at low levels, but much better at higher brightness. In fact, it looks better than my 1st gen iPhone which has a reddish hue at high brightness. My wife's 3G is somewhere in between and has the most neutral white balance.

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
I noticed this too. But the only thing I can compare it to is my first generation iPod Touch. The 3G S screen definitely has a "warmer" tint to it. I don't think it looks bad. I think it looks rather nice, maybe that's just me.

Shabbis

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
I'd return it, my new 3GS looks like the one on the right. My 3GS's color temp is in-between my 2G iPhone and my friends 3G.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I compared the two and the 3GS looked a tiny bit more blue, not yellow.

These same threads happened last year and Apple patched it.

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008

hmmm when did yours(^^^) ship? on the 18th or the 15th?
it's quite possible this could be the difference?

and what do you mean they "patched" it?

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
I noticed it on mine. But not to the point of being a problem. To me the 3GS looks fairly neutral, the first gen phone looks pretty cold. I prefer a cooler color temperature, but a little warmth doesn't really bother me. Unless I have it next to the first gen phone I don't notice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.