Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
I compared the two and the 3GS looked a tiny bit more blue, not yellow.

These same threads happened last year and Apple patched it.

That was a color temperature difference. If you would have read the thread, you would have seen that I held my 3G S up to a friend's and his was nearly as white as my old 3G.

There is a problem here, even the Apple support rep agreed with me.

My 3G S was ordered on the 9th and shipped out of Memphis, TN. My friend's (which looks fine) was ordered on the 10th and shipped direct from China.

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
@ timb

Do you have to ship your current device back? I'm surprised they're just sending you a new one.

If you have AppleCare, they'll overnight you a new unit. They also place a hold on your charge card for the full amount of the phone, in case you don't return the defective unit.

I went ahead and ordered AppleCare while talking to the support rep. After the exchange goes through, I'll just cancel for a full refund.

hellrider

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Pennsylvania
If you have AppleCare, they'll overnight you a new unit. They also place a hold on your charge card for the full amount of the phone, in case you don't return the defective unit.

I went ahead and ordered AppleCare while talking to the support rep. After the exchange goes through, I'll just cancel for a full refund.

I see, so Apple would not have done anything had you not purchased applecare?

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
I see, so Apple would not have done anything had you not purchased applecare?

They would have shipped me a box, which I would have placed my 3G S in, then once they got it, they would have shipped the replacement back to me. It would have taken a week, maybe more.

With AppleCare, they'll ship you the new unit first.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Something is definitely wrong with mine. The 3G S looks like I'm looking at things through a dirty window.

3g3gs.jpg

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Something is definitely wrong with mine. The 3G S looks like I'm looking at things through a dirty window.

3g3gs.jpg

Yes, that's exactly it. People keep saying that Apple just changed the color temperature, but that's not it at all.

"Looking through a dirty window" is a great way to put it. The best way I can describe it is dingy.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
My 3G is a bit brighter when both are cranked up to fullest brightness, but my colors aren't that "off" in tint... a slight difference, but nothing unusual between LCD screens. I was surprised that my 3G is lighter than my 3GS at full brightness however.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
noticed it on mine when comparing it to my 1st gen. while it's not horrible and i'm sure i could get used to it, it is pretty annoying. i'll be taking it to the apple store tomorrow to see if they have a replacement.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Yes, that's exactly it. People keep saying that Apple just changed the color temperature, but that's not it at all.

"Looking through a dirty window" is a great way to put it. The best way I can describe it is dingy.

I'm going to try to get mine replaced, made a Genius Bar appointment for Monday. It definitely isn't right. Worst case I just do a normal exchange since I'm within the return period anyways.

I was thinking maybe it's the oleophobic coating - but the 3G had this same problem at launch I believe.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007

3g3gs.jpg

I have the same 'problem' - it's actually quite noticeable, even if the phones aren't side by side.

And if you go to the Brightness Setting screen, not only does the 3G appear to have better colors, but it is also brighter than the 3GS.

I hope this is something they can fix with a software update...

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I'm so sad to hear this. I can't go through this again like last year. My husband's 3G is piss yellow and that's after doing the exchange game. He gave up.

Really wanted to get one tomorrow. Now with this again and reports of the bezel issue.... I'm terrified. I think I'll hold off.
They never fixed anything with software update last year. It didn't do anything to the tints issue.

We should compare serial numbers again. Also, I'm looking forward to experiences with swapping and if anyone has a hard time.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The easy solution would be for apple to add a screen calibration option in to the iPhone: that way people could set the color temperature to what they preferred and it would save a lot of returns...

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The easy solution would be for apple to add a screen calibration option in to the iPhone: that way people could set the color temperature to what they preferred and it would save a lot of returns...

SERIOUSLY!

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
After talking to several people, I'm fairly confident our particular issue isn't related to calibration or normal temp shift. There's actually a defect in some displays, causing them to tint this way.

Versus

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
Mine looks like that when the brightness is set to midway or lower, but looks fine at higher settings. I have nothing to compare it to, though.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I liked the cool color hue of the original iPhone best. The warmish tint introduced in the 3G was not a great move IMHO. When I get my 3G S today I will compare the screen values of all three so we can see for ourselves what the variances are between generations. :rolleyes:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
The warmer colors are more Mac-like but the blue tints remind me of an ugly PC sRGB profile.

My Mac Display is set warmer and my 3G looks almost identical, so I wouldn't complain if my 3G S is warmer.

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
The warmer colors are more Mac-like but the blue tints remind me of an ugly PC sRGB profile.

My Mac Display is set warmer and my 3G looks almost identical, so I wouldn't complain if my 3G S is warmer.

LOL now that you mention that, you are right...my iMac does have a very warm screen. I know this for sure because I just can't get my 28" monitor sitting right next to it to match the same color profile! It's always either too blue or too red? I guess it is possible apple did this on purpose...

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I think we can all agree the 1st gen phone was a different breed calibration-wise. Hence comparing 3G S to 2G is sort of a waste.
I think we need to compare 3G S to 3G to have any kind of good convo.

Last year we compared serial numbers. The start of them I think - with the letters. The first 4-5 numbers? Was that how we compared?

I'm tempted to hop in my car and try for a phone. I'm terrified to the point I keep putting it off. Mostly I hate to pay $400-$500 and sign another 2-year when my gut says Apple's pissed at AT&T to the Jon & Kate level.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
So I think there might be something else going on - if you compare a 3G and a 3GS side by side and go into the Brightness settings, you'll notice that the 3GS gets significantly more dim when Auto Brightness is turned on. The 3G gets slightly dimmer (at least with the light where I am), but the 3GS gets much more dim.

Turning Auto brightness off on the 3GS makes the screen look closer to the 3G (when brightness is set to the same on both - I tried about 40%).

Any ideas?

cerede2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
So, you think is necessary to return iPhone when the screen are yellow tint?
Or just wait for software update?

I call Apple today and UPS come monday or tuesday and replace my iPhone.

But if just an update enough, i'm wait!

What do you think?

EmptyWallet

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Honestly.....when comparing my 3GS to my roomies 3G...mine is more yellow.

However it's also brighter...and has better contrast.

It's not THAT much more yellow. I'd say his is grayish/white and mine is bone white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.