Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple CEO Steve Jobs received a liver transplant about two months ago to treat some ongoing complications from his previous pancreatic cancer:
Steve Jobs, who has been on medical leave from Apple Inc. since January to treat an undisclosed medical condition, received a liver transplant in Tennessee about two months ago. The chief executive has been recovering well and is expected to return to work on schedule later this month, though he may work part-time initially.
The exact source for the information is not provided, though The Wall Street Journal is reporting it as fact and not rumor. They also state that he is recovering well and is expected to return to Apple at the end of June, though may initially return on a part-time basis.

Steve Jobs stepped down as Apple's CEO in January for a medical leave of absence. Jobs had previously been treated and said to have been cured of pancreatic cancer in 2004.

According to experts cited by The Wall Street Journal, the reason for a liver transplant may have been from the spread of the original pancreatic cancer into the liver. The exact cure rate for this particular condition with a liver transplant seems to be up for debate, although five-year survivals for all causes of liver transplant seems to be around the 75% range.

The report adds some validity to previous rumors that Steve Jobs was receiving medical treatment in Memphis, Tennessee.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Had a Liver Transplant Two Months Ago

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
WOW! :eek:

To go to the extent of getting a liver transplant, things must be quite serious.

I wish him a full recovery and that he gets to live a healthy and happy life and hopefully running Apple for many many years.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I hope he recovers fully, good luck Mr. Jobs. While this new report isn't necessarily dire, it certainly looks like a setback from what was being reported earlier in the year.

I wonder if this was "leaked" today so that it was covered by the new iPhone 3G S release? It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the stock price come tomorrow.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
pretty amazing that this was kept under wraps for 2 months...

exactly, i am always amazed at how well apple and co can keep secrets - this one i am pleased with because some things have to be personal, no matter how much power one has as head of a company.

best wishes SJ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.