Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 22, 2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Achtung_U2
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Achtung_U2
multiple hard drives???

Hey everyone...

Can somebody please let me know if you are able to run 3 (or more) consecutive IDE hard drives in a G4 Sawtooth desktop. It is currently running two.

If so... anything special I need to do re: config, etc.?

Any help/info is much appreciated!

have a nice weekend. Mark ~
  • OptoRite internal (Superdrive) w/ PatchBurn II
  • Apple LaserWriter 4/600, Epson Stylus C86
Achtung_U2 is offline   0
Old May 22, 2004, 02:09 PM   #2
FuzzyBallz
macrumors 6502a

Nothing special, just hook 'em up.
FuzzyBallz is offline   0
Old May 22, 2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Mav451
macrumors 68000

Well I guess he may be asking about jumpers? Just make sure you have the Primary Master/Slave and Secondary Master/Slave set up correctly.

I would presume the Primary Master is your OS drive, Secondary Master your Superdrive/CDRW drive. When you add the additional drives, if what I just said IS your configuration, than make sure the jumpers are Slave for both.
Old May 22, 2004, 03:00 PM   #4
Mr. G4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung_U2
Hey everyone...

Can somebody please let me know if you are able to run 3 (or more) consecutive IDE hard drives in a G4 Sawtooth desktop. It is currently running two.

If so... anything special I need to do re: config, etc.?

Any help/info is much appreciated!

have a nice weekend. Mark ~
From your signature it doesn't look like you have a zip drive. Just stock the 3rd drive under the CD-DVD drive it fit perfectly and set you drive to be slave or master depending what your cd-dvr drive is already then plug the power and the ide cable and you are good to go.
Old May 22, 2004, 03:33 PM   #5
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G4
From your signature it doesn't look like you have a zip drive. Just stock the 3rd drive under the CD-DVD drive it fit perfectly and set you drive to be slave or master depending what your cd-dvr drive is already then plug the power and the ide cable and you are good to go.
you live in la, you can use the word slave anymore.

get with the (worthless) PC times.
idkew is offline   0
Old May 22, 2004, 04:44 PM   #6
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
You might need a card to give you extra ATA connections, I don't think Apple ever gave you the option to have three internal HD's in the Sawtooth without an extra card. On the sawtooth you can actually see imprints on the case for more HD's but Apple never bothered to let you use those spaces since the ATA cable that comes with the computer only has one extra connection.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers