Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Since everybody else has already mentioned Lurkers, I'll chip in with Anonymous Cowards. :p I know, they aren't exactly the same thing.

My philosophy has always been that If I haven't got anything to contribute, it's not a real point in posting.

But thanks for proving me wrong. I'll start spamming now. :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Since everybody else has already mentioned Lurkers, I'll chip in with Anonymous Cowards. :p I know, they aren't exactly the same thing.
To me they are very different.

Lurkers are those who merely read the forums but do not comment. They have a legitimate handle/name/nickname/etc.

Anonymous Cowards are individuals who read the forums and sometimes comment. However, they do not have a legitimate handle/name/nickname/etc.

Lurkers are fine with me. AC's on the other hand, seem as their name indicates. They are afraid to stand by their comments.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Every now and then there's discussion on Slashdot about making registration compulsory to post.

Rob Malda, the owner / founder of Slashdot, has stated many times that he feels AC contributions have a legitimate function.

It could be someone who is whistleblowing and cannot give a name for fear of retribution or an industry insider not wanting to risk their job, or someone posting from a repressive country.

Just though I'd lob that in.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Non-noobs? =p

Better then all those people that ask extremely simple questions that are answered already if they would actually read the other threads or bother to google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.