Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeckaCoop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Okay, I know people have asked this question atleast 100 times, and maybe I'm just technology retarded, but I think I've tried everything that has been suggested on the apple website.
My Ipod is a 2nd Generation Nano (old, i know) and all of a sudden my computer isn't recognizing it. Not only is my computer not recognizing it, my car ipod hook up won't recognize it either. My boyfriend's ipod touch works just fine with both the computer and the car, so I'm assuming it's an issue with my ipod and not the computer/car setup.

I really wouldn't be suprised if someone had a quick "you need to press this button answer" because when it comes to technology, I'm slightly impaired!

Thanks!:)

Becka

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
It should connect automatically. Does it charge?

Maybe the connector on the iPod is faulty... It looks like it's time to buy a new iPod. :eek:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Things eventually die. Nothing lasts forever.

Why don't you actually go on the apple support site and see follow the directions there to see if it's dead.

BeckaCoop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Thats the thing, the computer does charge it! It also works just fine when i put it in my ipod dock to play music. :confused:

coronel mustard

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Standish, England
You could try putting your ipod into forced disk mode- where the ipod is forced to connect. To achieve this, you need to make sure that you have some power left in your ipod and the hold switch is in the OFF position....

1)Hold the menu and the select/centre button of the ipod
2)Keep holding these buttons until the apple logo comes up
3)When the apple logo comes up, you need to hold the select/centre button and the play button
4)A Tick and the "Okay to disconnect" message should appear on the ipod.
5) Connect the ipod to your computer and the screen should change to the "Do not disconnect" message

From here you could always try a restore of the ipod.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363?viewlocale=en_US
The original documentation from apple on how to put the ipod into disk mode.

Hope this works. :)

BeckaCoop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Thank you coronel mustard!!!:D
Hallelujah my ipod will connect!

Thank you everyone who took time out of their day to try to help me in my hour of need!

:)
Becka

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.