Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an effort to compensate individuals affected by the delays in iPhone activation over the weekend, Apple has been sending out emails to affected customers indicating that they will be getting a $30 iTunes Store credit.
Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent Apple Store order. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience caused by the delay in your iPhone activation.

We are still resolving the issue that was encountered while activating your iPhone with AT&T. Unfortunately, due to system issues and continued high activation volumes, this could take us up to an additional 48 hours to complete.

On Monday, you'll receive an email from Apple with an iTunes Store credit in the amount of $30. We hope you will enjoy this gift and accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this delay has caused.

Thank you for choosing Apple.

Sincerely,
Apple Online Store Team
Affected customers should receive the credit on Monday.

Article Link: Apple Offers $30 iTunes Store Credit for Activation Delays

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
You lucky SOBs, I'm so jealous :mad:.

I'm still waiting to receive my income tax refund before I upgrade my gen1 iPhone to an iPhone 3GS. :(

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
very nice of apple to do this. and i can see why they are doing it. people really cannot live without their phone these days. 48 hours with no phone can really hurt some people

Mr Fish

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Dublin
very nice of apple to do this. and i can see why they are doing it. people really cannot live without their phone these days. 48 hours with no phone can really hurt some people

Or you could use your old phone for another 48 hours. It's got you this far.

tufaw

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
That's awesome. Enough to buy half-dozen iPhone socks and still have $1 left!

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
How do I get in on this action since my iPhone was a port from Verizon Wireless and doesn't fully work. My Verizon phone still makes and receives calls and text messages. Whereas the iPhone can make a call, but not text messaging.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
They did not have to do that, but in doing so, it says a lot about how much they care, I think.
I wonder if AT&T or Apple is the one causing the delays. If it's AT&T then Apple is really being generous.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
They did not have to do that, but in doing so, it says a lot about how much they care, I think.
I wonder if AT&T or Apple is the one causing the delays. If it's AT&T then Apple is really being generous.

I too was wondering if it was AT&T's fault, no surprise if it is. If that's the case though I bet it would come from AT&T.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I'm guessing it's AT&T's fault unless we start seeing the same thing in the other countries the 3GS went on sale. But good for Apple either way.

Jonny75

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
UK
Somehow I think it'll be an offer from Apple, but paid for by AT&T. Apple may have even put a clause about delays.

This again is a public attack on AT&T and Apple are making it clear who's at fault while keeping their end sweet.

It'd be great if they did the same with O2 etc. The advantages of the phone and network tie-up is rapidly being eroded by the faults within the networks and the monopoly for the consumer.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Our American cousins get upset by this sort of thing

Tell me about it. I an issue with a keychain error. After finding the problem via Google and then finding the fix -- create new account, activate phone on new account, logout and sync phone on old account -- I had no trouble. Maybe I should've called Apple tech support and gotten my $30 for a complicated piece of electronics equipment not working perfectly out of the box.

I swear, Apple/AT&T have really caved to the whiners when it comes to the iPhone. Complain about a price drop? $100! Complain that you had to live up to your contract? OK, price drop for you! Slow activation? $30!

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Is this for everyone who purchased a 3GS Friday morning? Or just people who filed complaints?

As I understand it, if you received the following notice during activation, you will receive the credit:
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Due to current iPhone activation volumes, it may take up to 48 hours to resolve your issue. We will send a confirmation to {e-mail address redacted} once your activation is complete. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes. You can set up your iPhone and enjoy features that do not require access to the AT&T network. To get started, please disconnect and then reconnect your iPhone.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Guess I was lucky. Activated two phones (one Friday one last night) and it took less than two minutes to activate each of them.

desiredusername

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Austria

Do you think I also get 30$ for waiting one week longer, than you guys in the US and germany and so on? I have to wait until this Friday. I want my Itunes Store Credit :)

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I swear, Apple/AT&T have really caved to the whiners when it comes to the iPhone. Complain about a price drop? $100! Complain that you had to live up to your contract? OK, price drop for you! Slow activation? $30!

What did people expect, with the release of the new phone.:rolleyes:

The funny thing was I was going to get the phone for $499 regardless.
When they dropped the proce I decided to get my son one too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.