Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
You should absolutely call. They will ask for a few numbers to tie to your account. When I had my issue the system at AT&T didn't even recognize I was waiting for activation. It took waaaaay too many calls to get someone who understood what I was trying to tell them. Be persistent and you will get results. It is unacceptable that some people have had to do this. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Schweez

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
you need to call ATT's activation line. There was a mistake and apple forgot to give ATT some of the IMEI(?) numbers. Once you call it will be a simple 5 minute call and you will be activated.

I don't want to sound rude, but how can people just wait around. Especially after the 48 hour period. I did 5 minutes of research, got the 866 number, and had my phone on right away. The CS lady was very understanding and helpful.

i have not received any email regarding a.) a delay in my activation; or b.) any sort of compensation for being without a phone.

it is 3:53pm CST right now.
it has been over 67 hours since i registered the 3GS and my wife's 3G. neither of our phones have been activated. this is downright ridiculous. i'm sorry. and over father's day weekend? are you serious? great timing, apple.

for the people out there that are saying we shouldn't complain because we can just use our land line phone, well, some people ditched land lines for cells a long time ago. others rely on cell phones for long distance calling. you can't really pull over to the side of the road to use a payphone anymore.

its like buying a new car that won't start and being told you can still ride the horse out back to work. the point isn't that you can still ride the horse. the point is that you shouldn't have to rely on the horse for anything.

this will teach me to buy another iPhone on launch day.

i will be interested to see if i ever get an email or credit.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
You should absolutely call. They will ask for a few numbers to tie to your account. When I had my issue the system at AT&T didn't even recognize I was waiting for activation. It took waaaaay too many calls to get someone who understood what I was trying to tell them. Be persistent and you will get results. It is unacceptable that some people have had to do this. Best of luck and keep us posted!

I called it works now.
But we all shouldn't have to go through this and they know it.
But they were nice so I will let them Live :D:D

Attachments

• IMG_0130.PNG
    IMG_0130.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0131.PNG
    IMG_0131.PNG
    65.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0132.PNG
    IMG_0132.PNG
    142.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0133.PNG
    IMG_0133.PNG
    82.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Ok Arn, seriously, who is your source? If nobody on macrumors has gotten this email, I doubt ANYONE has. I had to wait 8 hours for my activation, and I agree that I should at least get my activation fee waived.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
So I guess that's why they call this place Mac Rumors then? :rolleyes:

No source=no credibility.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
very nice of apple to do this. and i can see why they are doing it. people really cannot live without their phone these days. 48 hours with no phone can really hurt some people
The only people who should be having to wait for "activation" is customers new to AT&T. This is GSM, the SIM is what gets activated, not the phone itself.

When you activate a new phone with AT&T they "deactivate" your old sim card. So your old phone is effectively useless. I had a delay when i activated my 3GS and I was highly concerned, as I am a trainer for the Air Force. I have lots of troops that potentially need to get a hold of me on a regular basis. Was pretty scary being without my phone for a few hours.
Why is it necessary for AT&T to deactivate a perfectly functioning SIM card? The whole point of SIM cards is your subscriber info and phonebook are on the SIM so when you change phones, you just take the SIM out of the old phone and stick it in the new phone, the end. No "activation" (or the bull**** fees attached to it) required.

Jamie 360

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Boston
The only people who should be having to wait for "activation" is customers new to AT&T. This is GSM, the SIM is what gets activated, not the phone itself.

Why is it necessary for AT&T to deactivate a perfectly functioning SIM card? The whole point of SIM cards is your subscriber info and phonebook are on the SIM so when you change phones, you just take the SIM out of the old phone and stick it in the new phone, the end. No "activation" (or the bull**** fees attached to it) required.

I've been saying this all along. My friend just got a few Samsung flip phones and her sim cards were old as hell (orange, Cingular ones!) so of course she activated the new ones that came with them, but in our case, we received the same ones. Why make it so difficult for themselves--and us!? :mad:

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Is this only for people who have had issues over the weekend?

Because I just picked up my 3GS yesterday, and so far, I'm about to hit the 24 hour mark of "No Service". I've called AT&T, who sent me to Apple, who said it was a problem with AT&T, who I called again and said they were fine and it was Apple's problem.

Where do I get my $30 iTunes credit?

gheilner

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Or you could use your old phone for another 48 hours. It's got you this far.

I coulndt use my old phone. I was porting the number from Sprint and it was dea, but my iPhone wasnt activated. I never got a letter from Apple, so I guess I wasnt one of the lucky ones even though it took over 24 hours for my phone to activate.

brjsg1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Got my phone working by calling At&T sunday morning. These are the two emails I got when I checked my mail today.

Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:36:30 AM

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent Apple Store order. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience caused by the delay in your iPhone activation.

We are still resolving the issue that was encountered while activating your iPhone with AT&T. Unfortunately, due to system issues and continued high activation volumes, this could take us up to an additional 48 hours to complete.

On Monday, you'll receive an email from Apple with an iTunes Store credit in the amount of $30. We hope you will enjoy this gift and accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this delay has caused.

Thank you for choosing Apple.

Sincerely,
Apple Online Store Team

Then on Monday at 9:44 pm got this.

Dear Apple Customer,

As described in the "Your Apple Store iPhone Order" email we recently sent,
enclosed please find your $30 iTunes Store credit: (has code here)

This credit can be redeemed on the iTunes Store via your iTunes Store account. We appreciate your business at the Apple Online Store and hope that you enjoy this gift.

Sincerely,
Apple Online Store Team

Have not tried to use it yet.

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
I never received my $30 iTunes card, I pre ordered the 12th got the phone the 19th never been activated till the 22nd. WTF!

DO I really have to call, they're not good at this giveaway game.
Plus it's not $30 sense all our money is counterfeited and in debt for the rest of our lives all thanks to the Rotchchild Family.

plickfu

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Sorry, but I think this is total BS. So many people who had delays (including myself) never got this e-mail, not a word from Apple 3 days after this rumor leaked, and still not reported by any real news outlet. Definitely one of the better Apple hoaxes in a while...

However, when I e-mailed iTunes Store CS about this, I received this cryptic reply from the rep:

"Thank you for writing in today. My name is Shameka and I will be more than happy to help you. I sincerely hope I can help troubleshoot this issue to your satisfaction. I want to take this time to thank you in advance for your patience.

Congratulation, on you new phone. I hope that you are enjoying it.Apple does not comment on rumors about decisions, products, programs, or promotions that Apple has not officially announced.

By withholding comment, Apple hopes to protect customers from making decisions based on information that is incomplete, inaccurate, or subject to change before the formal announcement. Apple believes this is the best way to ensure that all customers are treated fairly.

Thank you for being a part of the iTunes Store family.

Warmest Regards,
Shameka
iTunes store customer support

Please note: I work Monday-Friday,800AM-500PM CT

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be appreciated."

???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.