new iBook G4 makes clicking noise? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 24, 2004, 01:38 PM   #1
beethovengirl
macrumors regular

new iBook G4 makes clicking noise?

My new iBook G4 makes a clicking noise every so often...Anyone know what this is? Is it a problem?

thanks!
beethovengirl is offline   0
Old May 24, 2004, 01:47 PM   #2
yoda13
macrumors 65816

I have heard tell that some of the new drives are making these noises and that it is normal. However, I don't have any drives that do this, so if it were mine, for my piece of mind, I would give Apple a call.
Old May 24, 2004, 02:00 PM   #3
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by beethovengirl
My new iBook G4 makes a clicking noise every so often...Anyone know what this is? Is it a problem?

thanks!
If it was mine and I lived near an Apple Store or an Apple reseller, then I would take it in for a professional opinion. If they can look at it in person, it will make the whole process easier.
Old May 24, 2004, 02:01 PM   #4
wide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by beethovengirl

thanks!
When does it make that noise? Is it at startup or when you are running a lot of applications? If that's the case, then it means your hard drive is working, and noise-making is normal in that case.

It could also be that your hard drive is caught on something or was not properly installed, or that your slot-loading drive is malfunctioning.

There are tons of possiblities, but I personally would not stand for it. Go to the Apple Store and have them fix it--you didn't pay them for a defective computer.
a dell laptop and a few ipods
wide is offline   0
Old May 24, 2004, 02:06 PM   #5
beethovengirl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide
When does it make that noise? Is it at startup or when you are running a lot of applications?
I'm just running Safari and surfing the web, and I can hear it every 5 minutes or so.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I guess I'll call Apple. This is a bit depressing since the last iBook I had [original clamshell] suffered the infamous sleep bug/sad Mac issue soon after I purchased it.
Old May 24, 2004, 03:28 PM   #6
beethovengirl
macrumors regular

I called Apple but they didn't have any idea what it could be and just suggested I send it in. hmm...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers