Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 27, 2004, 12:30 PM   #1
robotrenegade
macrumors 6502a

Powerbook 17" and bad airport card???

Everyonce and a while I'll lose my signal to my basestation under heavy traffic. The thing is I won't be able to see the basestation unless i restart me powerbook. None of my other computers lose a signal so I know its just this one. Any ideas?
Old May 27, 2004, 12:33 PM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotrenegade
Everyonce and a while I'll lose my signal to my basestation under heavy traffic. The thing is I won't be able to see the basestation unless i restart me powerbook. None of my other computers lose a signal so I know its just this one. Any ideas?
I have this problem on my iMac and it's just as annoying!!! I do have the option of using Ethernet when AirPort decides to act up - I've actually been primarily using Ethernet since AirPort is so finicky.
Old May 27, 2004, 12:35 PM   #3
robotrenegade
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
I have this problem on my iMac and it's just as annoying!!! I do have the option of using Ethernet when AirPort decides to act up - I've actually been primarily using Ethernet since AirPort is so finicky.
Thanks but I really like my basestation for I have multi stuff hooked up.
Old May 27, 2004, 12:48 PM   #4
Mord
macrumors G4

your avatar is scary robotrenagade it looks just like me
Mord is offline   0
Old May 27, 2004, 12:58 PM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Thanks but I really like my basestation for I have multi stuff hooked up.
Huh??? I don't understand. Did you accidentally quote my post? I don't see how my previous post and your post are related.
Old May 27, 2004, 01:41 PM   #6
robotrenegade
macrumors 6502a

I need help, please.
Old May 27, 2004, 02:51 PM   #7
mcadam
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to mcadam
I have a 17" to and have problems with airport to. Lots of people do I've found out...

Some claim the that the software airport 3.4 has a bug some that this have been fixed with 3.4.1 ! But I have been recommended to go back to 3.2 (don't think i will though).

And then check that the antenna cable fits in the card as it should...

and that's all I can do I'm afraid...

But since theres so many with these problems I'm beginning to wonder if it's the hardware that could be better?!?!
mcadam is offline   0
Old May 27, 2004, 07:45 PM   #8
Wyrm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What basestation to you have? Is your lan b/g or just b or just g?
What OS version are you using; is it patched to the latest?
Is there another computer that is the same as yours that doesn't have this problem?

All I can say right now is you shouldn't have this problem if other people don't, and you shouldn't have to restart your Mac to get it to work (that is sooooo Windows).

-Wyrm

Last edited by Wyrm; May 27, 2004 at 07:47 PM.
Wyrm is offline   0
Old May 28, 2004, 07:58 AM   #9
robotrenegade
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm
What basestation to you have? Is your lan b/g or just b or just g?
What OS version are you using; is it patched to the latest?
Is there another computer that is the same as yours that doesn't have this problem?

All I can say right now is you shouldn't have this problem if other people don't, and you shouldn't have to restart your Mac to get it to work (that is sooooo Windows).

-Wyrm
I'm sorry to say this but i am always uptodate, always use apple (basestation) but no I don't have another powerbook 17 but I have a G5 and a my boyfriend has his ibook and they never get this problem.
Old May 28, 2004, 08:55 PM   #10
Wyrm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm sorry to say this but i am always uptodate, always use apple (basestation) but no I don't have another powerbook 17 but I have a G5 and a my boyfriend has his ibook and they never get this problem.
No need to be sorry... it's a detective process to determine what's wrong by the process of elimination. Ok - so Apple Airport Extreme latest firmware (I assume?).
Oddly enough, version tracker Link
Has some comments where this update actually worsened connectivity. Did you always have this problem or is it recent (ie from this update)?

Ok, can you get this drop happen near the G5? (which has no problem) Since 802.11b/g is radio it can be blocked by steel structures, or otherwise common things like ovens, fridges, tvs, etc... maybe it is the location that you are using the powerbook that is causing the problems?

Can you not turn airport off and on again to pick up the network's ssid?

You could use a wifi network strength tool to see if your hardware is picking up the signal.

You also might try swapping the wifi cards (assuming both are miniPCI) between working computers. If the problem follows the card, bingo!

-Wyrm

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers