Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded a new version of OS X Snow Leopard, Build 10A394, to developers. The new build was distributed via Software Update and weighs in at 655.3 MB. The update's description simply states that the new build contains fixes for stability, compatibility, and security.

191247-snow_leopard_10a394.png

Early reports say that the Dock Exposé feature demonstrated at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month is present in the latest build. Users can activate Dock Exposé by clicking and holding on a running application's Dock icon to show only that application's windows in Exposé. Users can then click the icon of any other running application to switch to that application's Exposé windows. Users can also preview any window within Exposé by hitting the spacebar while the desired window is highlighted, providing a full-resolution view of the window without actually activating it.

191119-snow_leopard_dock_expose_500.jpg

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Snow Leopard Build 10A394 to Developers

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Fix those bugs! I do not have the patience to wait for a few updates to hit post launch, so I have my fingers crossed of this being a slightly less slap in the face experience as was the Leopard launch copy.

DARKJ3DI

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Dunedin, New Zealand
i quite like how the dock has expose built in. i often have many pages or number docs open at a time and its a pain trying to switch between them since the thumbnails get so small when exposing all windows.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
dock expose looks awesome.

i hope this comes out before the 8th of september, then i can get my fre ipod with studnt discount and not have to mess around with sending off for discs.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
dock expose looks awesome.

i hope this comes out before the 8th of september, then i can get my fre ipod with studnt discount and not have to mess around with sending off for discs.

Even if it released before the 8th, new computers may not be preloaded with Snow Leopard until a while later. You may luck out and get a disc included with the machine (CPU Drop-in DVD), or you may have to use the Up-To-Date program.

hallowhero

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Anyone know why when I go to update it says an error occurred and that the file does not exist? I download it and it restarts and it says that.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Apple's doing The Right Things (TM) lately - although feature wise SL is on the lighter side (would have loved to have ZFS R/W with Boot support, would have loved to see updated User Interface - well at least someone should convince the french guy to take another long look at the default wallpaper - not that I know it's his choice but it is probable ;) ).

But at any rate - I am sold on $29 for total 64-bit goodness, added speed and stability and I can always change the darn wallpaper since this is no "Starter Edition" of SL :D

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Boy this one leaked out fast. Glad it requires 10A380 and is done through software update though. Might keep some leachers out.

wat? a lot of people are already running 380 and now they can just update through SU.

Blaataap

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
I installed the update and I agree, dock expose looks and works great. Expose is changed completely. When you go into expose mode you can click on the different apps to see the windows of that app. I particularly like that feature.

On my system there is one bug however. Go in space and then try expose.. On my system it will try to show all the windows that are opened in all the spaces and that doesn't go well...

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
It looks like they improved the layout of Exposé. Even in Leopard, if you exposé a lot of windows with the same size, the position on screen is sometimes inefficient. Sometimes even, the windows are just arranged horizontally, making every window rather tiny. This screenshot looks like the windows are arranged to use the screen space as much as possible and using empty space to help differentiating the single windows. Nice touch.

I got my 13" MBP now and love every bit of it. It was way too hot on the palmrest at first, but installing Fan Control helped a lot and now it's just perfect. I set it to 2000 rpm base speed and the thresholds are 50°C and 75°C, very comfy, even on my lap.

Anyway, I can't wait for the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade. Can't really imagine how this baby (2.53 GHz) could get any faster, but I think I'll love it even more. :)

hallowhero

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Sorry if I'm sounding needy but has anyone else run into my problem? I'm seeing that a lot of people are successfully installing it so. Like I said it downloads the update and it gets through most of the install and then says an error has occurred. Then another window pops up saying that the update file doesn't exist. I think I have ran into this problem before but I can't remember what I did. I've tried it several times with no success. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:D

logotype

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2007
Hong Kong
New dock functionality?

Maybe just something i've missed... but in the Dock settings dialogue, there is a button "minimize windows to program icon" (translated).

Is that new for this build?

EDIT:
And if this function is used, and e.g. some Finder windows is minimized, they are shown in the new Exposé separated in smaller windows at the bottom.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Any "Font smoothing style" yet?

I find it very odd that Apple has seemingly removed options for "Font smoothing styles" in: System Preferences>Appearance.

Does anyone else find this odd?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.