Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2009
and what about what we already have the clikc and hold bringing up a menu with quit and other options for the app, how do we activate this instead of the expose click and hold?????A??A?A???:confused::confused:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Finally, some Mac OS X news...I was wondering if Apple had any interest in Mac OS X anymore

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Boy this one leaked out fast. Glad it requires 10A380 and is done through software update though. Might keep some leachers out.
Well. I guess that some people can't wait – there's a bunch of hackers working on getting the update from 10.5.7, which succeeded (as in they got the file) but the upgrade (still) fails.

I myself rather wait for the insane low priced upgrade. Probably my first well spent $29 ever :D

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
safari seems snappier.. no joke! i'm really liking the new minimized window behaviour in exposé it seems like they finally have a purpose

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Hah! Reading about this made me suddenly realize that my current regular old Leopard (non-snow) can use expose to do drag and drop! I never even thought about that, but I just tested it now, and sure enough, it works! I started dragging a file, hit the button for expose to show all currently open windows, and then I was able to drop the file into any window I wanted! Awesome!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
and what about what we already have the clikc and hold bringing up a menu with quit and other options for the app, how do we activate this instead of the expose click and hold?????A??A?A???:confused::confused:

like this

Attachments

• options.jpg
    options.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 3,726

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003

I don't think that this is activated by a click and hold, it's activated by dragging a file over onto a dock icon and then just hovering it over the app who's windows you want to see. So there's no clicking involved at all. Though the description in the MR item seems to state differently, so I'm confused. Or at least that afaik from what I've seen so far, I'm not a developer so I've never used it myself.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I don't think that this is activated by a click and hold, it's activated by dragging a file over onto a dock icon and then just hovering it over the app who's windows you want to see. So there's no clicking involved at all. Though the description in the MR item seems to state differently, so I'm confused. Or at least that afaik from what I've seen so far, I'm not a developer so I've never used it myself.

No, you click and hold.

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007

Clicking and holding will bring up the exposé along with all of those options hovering directly over the app in question.. also you can always right click the app if you want.

How is it different?

now when activating exposé either in application windows or for all windows any window you have minimized shows up beneath the grid of open windows, in a small form. This makes it actually useful to have minimized windows as you can still get to them from exposé quickly

latogoga

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
There's a way to do something similar with Mac OS 10.5 Leopard. With my unibody macbook's trackpad I use a 4 finger gesture horizontally while in exposé then i click an app and then exposé shows only the open windows of that application.:apple:

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
like this

That basically looks exactly like the current dock's behavior when you click and hold, but that seems to disagree with the MR article here which states

MacRumors said:
Users can activate Dock Exposé by clicking and holding on a running application's Dock icon to show only that application's windows in Exposé.

Am I misunderstanding something?

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2009
Clicking and holding will bring up the exposé along with all of those options hovering directly over the app in question.. also you can always right click the app if you want.

Ah, ok, now that explains everything for me, should have been in the original article too, which is missing this very important detail.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003

OH! I see now, you're saying it does both. Hmm, I guess there's no problem with that.

now when activating exposé either in application windows or for all windows any window you have minimized shows up beneath the grid of open windows, in a small form. This makes it actually useful to have minimized windows as you can still get to them from exposé quickly

I hear what you're saying. For me personally I find minimizing windows to be almost pointless, but I can see how this is an improvement for people who like to frequently minimize windows. I miss the ancient OS 9 feature where you could double click the title bar and the window would collapse up into just being a title bar with no window. I forget the name of that feature now.

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
safari seems snappier.. no joke! i'm really liking the new minimized window behaviour in exposé it seems like they finally have a purpose

Yeah the Dock improvements are really nice. When you minimize a windows it does show up in expose only it's smaller than the rest. I guess Mac geniuses will now stop telling people to use hide application instead of minimize.

boneske

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
yeah but if they are replaced by expose on click and hold they wont be there anymore, am I not understanding this right?

Look at SkyBlue's screenshot, when you click and hold the application it activates Expose and gives you the Options to Quit and More Options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.