Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Dell has been developing a Mobile Internet Device (MID) based on Google's Android operating system. The device is reportedly slightly larger than Apple's iPod touch, with which Dell's offering would presumably compete in many respects should it eventually be released.
Another person who was briefed on the company's plans said Dell may begin selling the device later this year, though this person said the plan could be delayed or scrapped entirely.

The development effort is one of the first experiments by a big-name PC maker in a nascent category of products known as mobile Internet devices, or MIDs,which are designed to fill a perceived gap between mobile phones and laptop computers.
Dell is expected to use ARM processors for the new device, the same platform that powers the iPhone and iPod touch. Back in 2003, Dell introduced its "Dell DJ" music players to compete with the iPod, but the line was discontinued by the end of 2006.

Article Link: Dell Developing Android-Based Mobile Internet Device?

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Probably going to be discontinued in about a year or two, they should stick to making commodity computers.

ddTaylor

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
I hope they release this as maybe it will get Apple off their collective rear-ends and make something like a tablet and netbook - but this Apple we are talking about, right?

I think the idea of a MID is fine and something I would consider if the screen were larger than that of the iTouch or iPhone. While I own both a 2nd generation iTouch and 3G iPhone I find the screen and small virtual keyboard all but useless for anything but short messages and only time-killing internet browsing. Is it better than anything else in the portable and mini market? YOU BET! Could it be better with a 5" or 6" screen and larger virtual hepatic feedback keys? Absolutely.

D

liven2

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bonney Lake, WA
Yawn!

To little to late! -- This will be a yawner of a device. By the time this thing comes out Apple will be finishing up the next round of software and hardware updates for the iPhone. I am not sure how they will compete but I guess time will tell.:)

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
I hope they release this as maybe it will get Apple off their collective rear-ends and make something like a tablet and netwbook - but this Apple we are talking about, right?

D

Yeah they sure forced Apple to really compete with their past offerings like the Dell DJ.

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Like a lot of others have been saying, this is a good thing. The more competition, the better. It keeps Apple at the top of their game.

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
Probably going to be discontinued in about a year or two, they should stick to making commodity computers.

Given how Google have positioned Android that pretty much is a commodity computer. Dell (and Google) are trying to save the old business model. I assume they will have some success.

If Dell build this, I will buy it. Why not?

I would buy a Palm Pre if it were available in Ireland without contract (my main phone is an iPhone). I like anything that can be connected via USB.

While we are at it: Can anybody recommend a cool Windows Mobile device? Something geeky and useless that looks good and has all the new features?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Like a lot of others have been saying, this is a good thing. The more competition, the better. It keeps Apple at the top of their game.
Not really. It usually only re-enforces the evidence that Apple innovates, and everything else is a cheap knock-off. In order to force Apple to competitively change their products, a competing product has to come close to matching Apple's current product. Dell's history has proved it incapable of producing products that actually compete with Apple.

Who knows though.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Seems like so many companies nowadays, follow the bandwagon. What happened to innovation? Many people call people who purchase Apple products fanboys as though it is a negative thing. The reason we remain firm and loyal is because Apple innovates. Even if Apple puts out a product similar to another one, there are always changes that enhance the arena the device plays in. Apple is a smart company, they observe and learn what is needed and why and then make the product come to life and on top of that take time to make it aesthetically pleasing. I think of Dell and then think of an MID, my automatic reaction is honestly oh boy.. Maybe they can do it but are they trying to change the game or just stay in it? I guess it's similar to life, will you contribute to the well-being of others or just live and get by. ;) God bless people!

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Dell DJ? Its pretty bad when you don't even know a product existed...I remember seeing like 2 of those things.

Android platform, in my opinion, is still developing and the interface is incredibly inconsistent. iPhone OS is way ahead of Android in terms of everything, obviously. But, of course, Dell can't use the iPhone OS so maybe Android will evolve and turn out as a good choice for Dell and force Apple to make a similar product.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
When will these companies learn that they are a day late and a dollar short of completing with any iPhone/iPod product. Give it up.

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Slightly larger than an iPod Touch? Sounds clunky!

Yes I do agree, how many people want a device that big (and its Dell so its going to be thick too) that can hardly even fit in their pockets? The iPhone/iPod Touch device size is a nice size...however I don't think you can get much bigger without getting "clunky".

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
When will these companies learn that they are a day late and a dollar short of completing with any iPhone/iPod product. Give it up.

what a sad state the world would be if this was applied to everything.

This product may not stand up well against Apple's platform, but it might very well find it's own niche in the larger spectrum - say in a similar way Apple has done with mobile games. We'll see.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Not really. It usually only re-enforces the evidence that Apple innovates, and everything else is a cheap knock-off. In order to force Apple to competitively change their products, a competing product has to come close to matching Apple's current product. Dell's history has proved it incapable of producing products that actually compete with Apple.

Who knows though.
They did build the Adamo to compete with the Macbook Air, did that force Apple to compete?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Seems like so many companies nowadays, follow the bandwagon. What happened to innovation? Many people call people who purchase Apple products fanboys as though it is a negative thing. The reason we remain firm and loyal is because Apple innovates. Even if Apple puts out a product similar to another one, there are always changes that enhance the arena the device plays in. Apple is a smart company, they observe and learn what is needed and why and then make the product come to life and on top of that take time to make it aesthetically pleasing. I think of Dell and then think of an MID, my automatic reaction is honestly oh boy.. Maybe they can do it but are they trying to change the game or just stay in it? I guess it's similar to life, will you contribute to the well-being of others or just live and get by. ;) God bless people!

Dell's entire attitude/priorities about design, software, engineering . . . pretty much everything across the board, has to change. And it all starts with what is going through everyone's head at design/engineering roundtable discussions. So far, it seems to have been a lot of tumbleweed and wind whistling through empty spaces.

Dell is so far behind Apple even in terms of sheer ability to conceptualize "new" and "compelling" that it isn't even funny. Dell is a follower. And they're about to slide below Acer, to boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.