Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Yeah - I'm all for competition but nothing will be on Apple's level. I used to HATE Apple's products but nothing ever came close to compare.

No Dell touchscreen will ever have half the great software or hardware design. I wish someone would come along and push Apple off the top, but realistically - Apple's formula (great software/hardware integration) will not be beaten soon.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Given the price slashing it doesn't seem the Air was all that popular to begin with.

Last chance like the Cube?

They also slashed the price of all their laptops, I guess those weren't that popular either.

If the Air is not popular, I wonder how well the Adamo is selling, have you seen the prices on the.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
They also slashed the price of all their computers, I guess those weren't that popular either.

If the Air is not popular, I wonder how well the Adamo is selling, have you seen the prices on the.
$100 here or there is standard fare for Apple. Make previous BTO features standard and slide some processors down as they become cheaper to provide such an illusion.

neuromajor

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2005
MID vs. MMOSA (Make My Own Silly Acronym)

The development effort is one of the first experiments by a big-name PC maker in a nascent category of products known as mobile Internet devices, or MIDs,which are designed to fill a perceived gap between mobile phones and laptop computers.

Uh... How about the Dell axim? Does it qualify as a MID with VGA screen, dedicated graphics chip, WiFi, and bluetooth?... Oh wait, that's right, you had to use a stylus and not your finger, and it ran Windows Mobile, which is definitely not MID material... :D

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2006
dell is a strange company, they seem to be fantastic at nothing but above average at most things, their computers are fine, their PDAs were fine, and i assume if they make a phone it'll be nothing special but better than average

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I hope they release this as maybe it will get Apple off their collective rear-ends and make something like a tablet and netbook - but this Apple we are talking about, right?

Why do people keep thinking apple's strategy is dictated by what everyone else does? Apple does what they think is best, and others adapt to them - not the other way around.

Just look at the much clamored for "headless imac" - half of MR thinks apple is stupid for leaving this "hole in their product line up" and letting other computer makers take all that potential business. Maybe that's right and maybe it's not (IMO, $29b in the bank says apple execs knows more about engineering/marketing/sales than the average MR poster, but what do I know), but the fact that dell offers headless towers hasn't, and won't, force apple to do the same. Likewise, this product will not push apple in to doing anything they weren't going to do anyway.

That aside, this will flop. Dell should stick to what they're good at - selling fairly high-quality generic computers at good prices. That's a profitable strategy, and they execute it fairly well. But let's not pretend they know how to innovate.

TK2K

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2006
yea i agree, more competition = better finished products for consumers!

sometimes, not always. There's tons of ipod competitors that have features BETTER than the ipod, but apple feels no presure to include them. I feel like this is going to happen as well, the Pre is already showing some problems..

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Why do people keep thinking apple's strategy is dictated by what everyone else does? Apple does what they think is best, and others adapt to them - not the other way around.

Just look at the much clamored for "headless imac" - half of MR thinks apple is stupid for leaving this "hole in their product line up" and letting other computer makers take all that potential business. Maybe that's right and maybe it's not (IMO, $29b in the bank says apple execs knows more about engineering/marketing/sales than the average MR poster, but what do I know), but the fact that dell offers headless towers hasn't, and won't, force apple to do the same. Likewise, this product will not push apple in to doing anything they weren't going to do anyway.

That aside, this will flop. Dell should stick to what they're good at - selling fairly high-quality generic computers at good prices. That's a profitable strategy, and they execute it fairly well. But let's not pretend they know how to innovate.

Exactly, people make it seem like Apple sit around their offices and do nothing all day but wait for the competition to bring new products to market before they get to working.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The way most of you are talking you'd think that Apple invented touch screen media players. :rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The way most of you are talking you'd think that Apple invented touch screen media players. :rolleyes:

Hell, with what they've rolled out over the last few years, they might as well have.

I hope they release this as maybe it will get Apple off their collective rear-ends and make something like a tablet and netbook - but this Apple we are talking about, right?

Sure, why not call them and complain - tell them they have it all wrong . . . and they'll make one JUST FOR YOU.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
I don't think another device using a different mobile operating system is a bad thing. I would be interested to know if they had also considered WebOS. I had a Dell DJ a while ago and I really liked it. You could create playlists directly on the player similar to creative lab's players and it was solid quality. It also introduced me to a great piece of software (Not included) that allowed me to bypass iTunes all together, which i preferred. I am not a big fan of it for music management and only recently came back by being forced to with my iPhone.

On a side note, i think its quite hilarious that Apple is marketing copy and paste in their new adds for the 3GS, a feature that should have been in the original OS two years ago. Not trying to turn this into another iPhone FTW thread, but I don't see whats wrong with another player out there trying to appeal to what the consumers want.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
dell is a strange company, they seem to be fantastic at nothing but above average at most things, their computers are fine, their PDAs were fine, and i assume if they make a phone it'll be nothing special but better than average

That is the best explanation of Dell haha.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Probably going to be discontinued in about a year or two, they should stick to making commodity computers.

I grudgingly agree with you here.

To little to late! -- This will be a yawner of a device. By the time this thing comes out Apple will be finishing up the next round of software and hardware updates for the iPhone. I am not sure how they will compete but I guess time will tell.:)

The AXIM experience was telling enough. That was another time, sure, but what a yawner!

This site really has just become an iPhone glory hole... Page 2, if at all.

LOL! :D

----

I think DELL is poised to offer competition with Apple and others, but still can't seem to find a marketing / promotional model that pleases customers and makes money. The netbook market is one example of a skewed strategy designed to make money off of low margin devices. To whit, instead of offering a Mini 10 that is fully user-customizable, they offer three versions of the 10 - skewed in price ranges with each version offering only so many options for customization for each. Add to this the restrictions Micro$oft places on DELL - and the result is no possibility of an upgrade of RAM for two of the 10s (RAM soldered right to the board); the other requiring a near complete disassembly of the netbook to access the RAM. :eek:

Whoever inked the deal with Redmond and is making the product customization policies at DELL is really stymying DELL's potential in the market, IMO. Distracting consumers with MID gadgets with which they can't even begin to compete (with Apple) is about as folly as it gets - in this economy. I wish DELL would do what they do best ... sell computers the way their consumers want them. It wouldn't hurt to bring back home some technical support work in the U.S. as well. They've lost so much in trust and reputation since they began outsourcing it in earnest. :(

Oh, and hey, DELL ...? If I want digital copies of movies, I can make them myself, mmkay? :rolleyes: You want to compete, then how about starting by letting us opt OUT of all of your bloatware and trial software on ALL of your products? Just a thought.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
The name

Following on the success of the Dell "iPod killer", the Dell DJ, they ought to keep that theme going for their handheld computer and call it the Dell HJ for Hand Job.

Tenebrous

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
The South, USA
Just what the world needs: another cheap junky phone made by the leaders in cheap and junky. Dell is like so many other companies. They wait for the innovator to take the risks and then they try to fight over scraps discarded by that innovator. I can't imagine what Dell could bring to the table except a low initial price tag.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Just what the world needs: another cheap junky phone made by the leaders in cheap and junky. Dell is like so many other companies. They wait for the innovator to take the risks and then they try to fight over scraps discarded by that innovator. I can't imagine what Dell could bring to the table except a low initial price tag.

hm, let me think....i bought my 8 year old nephew a $150 ipod nano. i guess when he's 10-12 he wants an internet browsing device. so if the ipod touch is 299 and the dell is larger and costs 150 bucks he'll get the dell. kids lose or break that stuff anyway. so price is for many people a factor and can lead to a huge market. digital cameras come to mind.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Cool. I would love to have a slightly bigger iphone. I guess that would be the void filled by the rumored touchpad in January.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.