Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raingalls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
I'm looking into getting a Hard Drive for a 13" MacBook Pro that was recently released. I've read posts on MacForums and MacRumors and across the net abroad looking for an answer and have yet to get a clear consice answer.

I use my computer HEAVILY for it is my personal computer that I use for video (iMovie, Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro/Studio), audio (Audacity, GarageBand, ProTools), and image (Photoshop) editing. I'm also designing a website and will maintain it from this laptop (Dreamweaver). While I know the web site design doesn't seem taxing, I'm using Adobe Flash Catalyst and Flex to design the site in conjunction with Dreamweaver and the site will have streaming video and a lot of Flash which can be quite taxing... And that's just what I do at home in my free time.

At work I use all the same programs and even more resource hungry development tools. So while it would be nice to have the performance of a 7200 RPM drive to match the 8GB of RAM I shelled out nearly $700 for @ OWC, I am concerned about how hot the unit will get with 8GB of RAM crammed into it and it being aluminum and all. While I know aluminum is supposed to handle heat better than other metals, it's still a metal and is bound to get a lot hotter than the polycarbonate MacBook shells that proceeded it. I use this computer from 6:30 a.m. to 2 or 3 in the morning almost everyday except weekends which I usually get up around 9 or 10 in the morning, but even still, the computer stays on unless it's in my bag in transit from home to work or vise versa or I'm on the road alot one day in which case, I turn it off until I either get back to the office or go home.

So now that you have a clear understanding of my situation, please advise whether my need for the performance outweighs the heat I am going to generate from a 13" frame packed full of high speed heat emitting RAM and Hard Drive or despite the speed difference is the 7200 rpm hard drive just run too hot to be safe (especially when combined with the maxed out RAM). I want the best of the best and the performance increase, but I don't want to fry my machine (can't afford to do that and miss even a day of work or loose even a days worth of un-backed-up data) and might I add I've already spent enough on this computer from hardware to software so saving $50 by going with a 5400 rpm 500 GB drive instead of a 7200 rpm 500 GB drive would be nice, but if the 7200 won't fry my machine, I'm willing to shell out $150 for a 500 GB 7200 for the performance increase. I need all the power I can get out of a 13" frame without causing problems or frying something.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
no it will not fry your machine or get hot, it will be faster. i have a 250gb 7200 in my macbook pro and its worth the upgrade.

RebornKillah

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Orange County, CA
Hd

I have a 6/2009 15" MBP and have upgraded the HD to 7200 RPM. It was definitely worth the upgrade and while I use the computer all day (from internet to photoshop to FCP), it remains cool. Definitely worth it.

Though have you thought about getting a 7200 or 10000 RPM external hard drive for intensive FCP/Dreamweaver projects? This may not be an option but worth a thought. Also, the 13"'s GPU will be powerful enough to run Flash and Dreamweaver? I would double check the system requirements of those programs. A discrete graphics card may drastically help w/ the computer's ability to handle such programs and projects.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
So is the 7200 hard drive going to be noticeably faster than the 5400 if I am mostly doing surfing, email, iPhoto, iWeb and iMovie? I am trying to decide on how to equip my new 15" macbook pro...thanks

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
i would still think a 7200rpm drive is faster the the scorpio blue 5400..

So is the 7200 hard drive going to be noticeably faster than the 5400 if I am mostly doing surfing, email, iPhoto, iWeb and iMovie? I am trying to decide on how to equip my new 15" macbook pro...thanks

boot up times and imovie will be a little faster

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
So what makes the scorpio a better/faster hard drive if it is 5400 speed just like the apple standard drive....

and is my only speed difference by going with the 7200 going to be boot up and iMovie?

socrates35

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
Heat and your macbook

If you're concerned about the heat frying your mac I would suggest a high quality laptop cooler, in addition, an external harddrive to store data to relieve the stress on the mac. I seriously think you're a little over worried. These macbooks are very well designed and have the highest quality parts in them.

In recap a notebook cooler pad, and external data storage of an external harddrive; are my suggestions.

Good Luck to you!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
So what makes the scorpio a better/faster hard drive if it is 5400 speed just like the apple standard drive....

and is my only speed difference by going with the 7200 going to be boot up and iMovie?

This review will explain some of the issues

Scorpio Blue and Black Review

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.