Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday seeded iPhone OS 3.1 and iPhone SDK 3.1 betas to developers for testing, and users have been digging through the new releases to document new features. Among the changes found so far by readers in our forums, at Redmond Pie, and at MobileCrunch:

- Trimming video clips on the iPhone 3GS now offers the ability to save the edited version as a copy rather than simply overwriting the original file.
- Voice Control over Bluetooth is now available, allowing users to Initiate calls and control music playback via Bluetooth headsets.
- MMS is now enabled by default, but still not supported by AT&T.
- iPhone vibrates when rearranging Home screen icons.
- A "Fraud Protection" toggle is now available in Safari settings.
- iPhone startup and shutdown and app launching times have improved.
- New APIs allow developers of third-party application to access and edit videos.
- OpenGL and Quartz have seen improvements.

Article Link: iPhone OS 3.1 Features: Non-Destructive Video Editing, Voice Control Over Bluetooth and More

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Hurray for bluetooth voice control. I was very surprised that it didn't have it to start, but it's good to see the feature making its way into my iPhone quickly.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
Looks good! I normally only install the SDK versions of the OS on my iPod Touch, but I'm tempted to stick this on my new GS, to check out the video editing APIs.

Since 3.0 I've noticed mail making a bit of a mess with my Exchange inbox over IMAP - duplicate messages and the such like. Is anybody else getting that?

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I'm hoping for an improved system for displaying and sorting popup notifications - which shouldn't require changing any hooks on the developer end of things, just altering the way the OS shows them to the user (something like Android's notification drawer would be lovely, something to stop them from stealing focus).

mrblahh

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
have they fixed bluetooth A2DP so you can actually skip songs with a bluetooth headset? previous / next don't work with 3.0

anthonyjr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Forgot one:

- All iPhone 3GS models now have the ability to detonate all Palm Pres in a 100 yard radius.

AlphaJaguar5

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
How about an option to disable auto-tilt to landscape when in mail and text message. That is so freaking annoying.

dizzy13

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Miami
How about an option to disable auto-tilt to landscape when in mail and text message. That is so freaking annoying.

Yes, I understand a lot of people wanted this and glad they have it, but when I'm laying down trying to write a text message or read email it is such a pain when it switches over to landscape.

naevity

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2004
Anyone who installed it know if they fixed the bug with AVCRP? Play/Pause works, but FFW/RWD/Skip did not.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Of course this is still a beta so there could be more goodies when Apple gives it to the rest of us.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
No news on battery life? Or is that asking for too much...

I had read somewhere, although I admittedly can’t find it now, that the 3.1 SDK had some sort of power management software that was supposed to increase battery life. I definitely think something of this sorts would be helpful though and hopefully it does end up being in the 3.1 update.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
How do you initiate voice control with bluetooth? Do you still have to press and hold the home button or can you do it from the headset itself?

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Flash please

Still no copy and paste... GAHHH!!!!!!!!!! (I'm kidding). Flash would be nice, though. I'm noticing Flash less and less on the web, but it's the sore point in our "real web browsing" pitch. Even if there was a small battery icon somewhere telling you that this webpage may be taxing your battery with its fancy animations, that would still be better than nothing. It would also be nice if the next iPhone had an actual Flash for the camera, too... I thought a cool implementation would be the apple logo on the back doing Flash duty.

After that, I'm just about out of recommendations. I actually really like having no physical keyboard. Just add Flash and flash and I'm willing to call the phone perfect. Oh... and an inward facing camera for video chats. Just add those and we're cool.

I love that there's so little to whine about with this phone, though. I bought a 3G here in Canada the day they came out (holding off on the 3Gs... guessing next year is gonna be worth the wait and the upgrade will be more dramatic since I only got a 3Gs for my wife). It's been a consistent love affair from day one. Apple, you make good phones.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I had read somewhere, although I admittedly can’t find it now, that the 3.1 SDK had some sort of power management software that was supposed to increase battery life. I definitely think something of this sorts would be helpful though and hopefully it does end up being in the 3.1 update.

OK. I would definitely like to see that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.