Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:44 AM   #1
crackerjax
macrumors newbie

Script to enable screen sharing

Here's my dilema:

My iMac was stole 4th of July night while I was out watching things explode overhead. Big deal. Also stolen was 3 1tb drives and 1 500gb drive. I need those drives back as 2 of those 4 drives are the redundant backups of my children's photographic and videographic existence. I have mobileme on my wife's account. I account has an uncrackable password. Hers has no password. Our sons is only allowed to use firefox->starfall.com. So, I think someone will use her user.

I have a MBA/revA with mobileme on also, same account as my wife's. I have seen my iMac on the list of shared drives while away from home. Question is, is there a script I can move into the system via file sharing that will enable the probably turned off Screen Sharing so I can get an IP address and photo of the user.

I've never used Screen Sharing, hence its probably off, and I wouldn't know how to start using it if it was on. How do I use it when its on? Any help would be appreciated.
crackerjax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjax View Post
I have a MBA/revA with mobileme on also, same account as my wife's. I have seen my iMac on the list of shared drives while away from home. Question is, is there a script I can move into the system via file sharing that will enable the probably turned off Screen Sharing so I can get an IP address and photo of the user.
Putting a script on the filesystem will do nothing: you would need the remote machine to execute it. This is not the same as you executing it once you've placed it there.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:58 AM   #3
crackerjax
macrumors newbie

Obviously, but is there a location to put a file where it would be automatically run on next login or something?
crackerjax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
robbieduncan

I'd go ready up on launchd to see if you can drop a launch daemon script anywhere. I think you still need to tell launchd to register the script though. There is a StartupItems folder, but Apple says never to add or remove items: it's for system use...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2009, 01:48 PM   #5
SRossi
macrumors regular

I searched on google for you and came across this: Start screen sharing remotely

Hope this helps and you recover your files.

Stephen
30 GB iPod video;
SRossi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming