Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I mean when you have to go to the restroom in the air, do you leave your MBP unattended? Or, do you put it away? Or, else?

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
well i fly coach, so I gotta put away the macbook before I can even get out of my seat! Um... if you're afraid someone's gonna jack it, use a laptop lock, or stick it in your bag and bring the bag with you to the jon

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I leave it in the carry on, or on the seat. If someone takes it, where are they going to go?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I am not really concerned about theft on an airplane
I mean, the person sitting next to you would see someone take it

I don't get too paranoid about things like that

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

fairyliquidizer

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2003
I once left mine and when I went to the toilet ninjas leapt out of my mini-pretzel snack packet and overcame the guy sitting beside me, stole my Macbook Pro, and parachuted to freedom.

If you're wondering how I got it back from the Ninjas, the answer is simple, I went to my local Apple store and spoke to a genius. She told me to go to a coffee shop, look as cool as I could without a Mac and by the time I got back a crack team of Geniuses will have neutralised the ninjas and returned with my MBP.

As it was written so it was done.

Whenever I fly I now leave my MBP sitting on a landmine when I go to the toilet.

suekitch

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
I've only been flying short distances for.. well, a very long time. It amazes me the number of people who still need to relieve themselves on a 1hr 20 flight, mind. I always sit by the window if I can because sod's law otherwise would dictate that I'd need to get up twice with my laptop to let the others out.

Anyway on a longer flight I think I'd probably end up taking it with me, or putting it in its sleeve in the magazine bit in the seat in front assuming there was one.

I'd be less concerned about people stealing it than I would people spilling drinks or falling on it. I get nervous if I'm in the aisle seat as the trolley goes past, thinking that some drinks will magically spill on my computer!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I close it and put it in the case when I need to hit the head, but I don't stow in the overhead compartment but rather just put it on the seat. Its not like someone can just grab it unnoticed and fade away into the night. We're all trapped in that tin can

ooter

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
here's what happened to me last week, was on a flight home in coach,
watching a movie on my new 13"mbp, laptop was sitting nicely on the tray table when all of a sudden the person infront on relines his seat full whack, the lid of my mmp got caught under the clip on the seat infrot (round thing you turn to release/store the table)
I shouted and pushed back the chair in order to rescue my laptop, the guy had no idea why i was fuming and thought I was insane.

I suppose in the end he had done nothing wrong and it was an accident,
after careful inspection no damage to the laptop so crisus averted.
I then tried comlpaining about the design of the seats to 1 of the cabin crew but they told me I had caused enough of a scene and to return to my seat :eek:

anyways have now learned my lesson and will always leave enough room for the seat infront to reline without shattering my lcd

areusche

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Call me lame, but I hate flying. I detest it to the ends of the earth. Airport security's a joke, airlines are worse, and I hate how I always get thirsty past the security line. Everytime I hear of an airline in financial trouble it puts a smile on my face! Oh man i sound like a grumpy grouch, but its always a miserable time dealing with TSA "thugs standing around" :p

I don't bring carry on items onto the plane. I have my blackberry and a light jacket I stuff its pockets with. I'm too afaird to bring my precious laptop and have it get pulverized in my suitcase or on board. I read so its not that bad, but I prefer to have one less nightmare while flying.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's not like if someone removes it while you are gone no one is going to notice or they can make a mad dash for the door. So, yeah, I just close the lid and leave it.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I leave it in the carry on, or on the seat. If someone takes it, where are they going to go?

yeah seriously?! if your computer goes missing in the 5 minutes that you are going pee, then I think you will know who took it and where they went.

suekitch

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
People check in their laptops? :O Have you seen how some baggage handlers take care of passengers' gear?

I bring my laptop with me when I fly, not because I need or want it (though admittedly some flights do go by quicker with stuff to watch) on the plane, but because I know it's safe in my hands. (And also because I fly with RyanAir and checking in a bag costs extra, but hey, even then I wouldn't put my computer in it).

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I hate flying and share a similar opinion with areusche. Funny enough, I want to be an aeronautical engineer.

Anyway, whenever I fly, I just leave it considering I'm almost always with a friend.

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
I suppose in the end he had done nothing wrong and it was an accident,
after careful inspection no damage to the laptop so crisus averted.
I then tried comlpaining about the design of the seats to 1 of the cabin crew but they told me I had caused enough of a scene and to return to my seat :eek:

I love how it's always the guy who decides to recline his seat who is to blame!

If only the seats were reclined by default and it was up to each person if they wanted to move their seat back forward!

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I once left mine and when I went to the toilet ninjas leapt out of my mini-pretzel snack packet and overcame the guy sitting beside me, stole my Macbook Pro, and parachuted to freedom.

If you're wondering how I got it back from the Ninjas, the answer is simple, I went to my local Apple store and spoke to a genius. She told me to go to a coffee shop, look as cool as I could without a Mac and by the time I got back a crack team of Geniuses will have neutralised the ninjas and returned with my MBP.

As it was written so it was done.

Whenever I fly I now leave my MBP sitting on a landmine when I go to the toilet.
Great post!!!! You could get a job writing copy for Microsoft ads!!:D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Check it in...

:eek:

I never use it anyway. I rarely, if ever, take my laptop out of my backpack/carry-on during a flight. However, if I were to take it out and use it for some reason, and I went to the toilet, I'd just leave it on the seat.

I'm not very careful while I'm off the plane. When I go to the toilet while I'm at a library/cafe/etc, I just go. I leave my stuff on the table. Why should I be more careful while I'm on an airplane?

mls64

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Does anyone use a privacy filter/screen on their unibody MBP? If so, which brand, and how does it attach? I'm looking for one for my new 13" MBP and it appears that they all require adhesive tabs to be attached to the glass, not sure this is a good solution for me. When using a notebook on the plane it drives me crazy when the person next to me, across the aisle, etc, is obviously reading what I'm working on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.