Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Judging by the comments here I'm guessing somewhere between 10-24 years. I don't know too many 50+year geezers (like me) that have one. There's a lot of macs for general use and education but I don't see them in the biz world (which I'm still a part of).

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Oddly enough, the average age of the Mac user is 53.7 years

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well, they can't be 10; the sign-up age is 13, and no one would ever break the rules to sign up here. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm youngish, but I'm old at heart (and in mindset), believe me. Does it also count if I have a working Apple IIe?

lhlee96

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Sydney
Average Age

Well, I'm pretty young, just barely surpassing the age limit on Macrumors. So yeah...hehe. I've been using Macs ever since I was six- first with a really old Apple II, then one of those colorful iBook laptops that look like seashells, followed by an iBook, then a PowerBook G4, followed by two more MacBooks, then present day, with a uMBP (Late 2008). =)

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
44 y/o here~I expect the average age is higher than expected for mac users; the older crowd may not be as represented on a forum like this though.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Judging by the comments here I'm guessing somewhere between 10-24 years. I don't know too many 50+year geezers (like me) that have one. There's a lot of macs for general use and education but I don't see them in the biz world (which I'm still a part of).

Macs are computers, nowdays everyone uses computers. I don't think the average age of mac users is too far off from the average age of the population. Looking into a crowded Apple store you will see people of all ages. However, here on the forums you're going to find mostly the younger tech savvy crowd.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unlike some other mac related forums I frequent this one seems to have their fair share of young mac users.

I'll be skewing the age upward being that I'm 44

AnotherFanBoy

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
I think there is a stereotype of Mac users being really young, cool people. This was pointed out in that awful Microsoft Laptop Hunters advert.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIS6G-HvnkU )

In actual fact, I don't think there is a certain type of person that uses a Mac. I'm 18 and I'll be getting my first MBP this summer, but I have friends whose grandparents use them.

juleyah

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
North Carolina, USA
I'm 22, got my first MBP when I was 19. Just got my second MBP.

I did grow up playing with an old Mac (think it was a Classic - early 90's) but we had Windows after that... until I asked for a MBP when I graduated from highschool. Now my parents want Macs too :cool:

And as we all know.... "once you go Mac, you never go back". ;)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Based on the MacRumors site stats:

The winner is mid to late 20s.
Next up, late 20s to early 30s.
Third batch, late teens to early 20s.

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
I would say there is quite a large range of ages that use macs. I got my first mac at 16, along with many friends!
signature_apple1.jpg

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Based on the MacRumors site stats:

The winner is mid to late 20s.
Next up, late 20s to early 30s.
Third batch, late teens to early 20s.

Your sample population is trash. The only thing those stats tell you is the average age of a MacRumors registered user. Unless you think the population of MacRumors registered users = the population of Mac owners.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right

Well, judging by comments on here will only tell you one thing, which is the impression you have of the age of people who are likely to comment on this particular forum. You could bet that the base demographics between sub-forums of MR are different as well.

Taking a poll of ages will also only really tell you one thing, which are the ages of the type of people who will respond to a poll on this particular forum.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I'm 35, my mom and stepmom are in their 60s and 70s and we all use Macs and have since 1984. I have a friend whose 5 year old uses an iMac very comfortably.

Take that as you will.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Your sample population is trash. The only thing those stats tell you is the average age of a MacRumors registered user. Unless you think the population of MacRumors registered users = the population of Mac owners.

Really?
Maybe that's why I started out with "Based on the MacRumors site stats"!?
:rolleyes:

Using the site stats is no more or less accurate than any other polling available to us.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Really?
Maybe that's why I started out with "Based on the MacRumors site stats"!?
:rolleyes:

Using the site stats is no more or less accurate than any other polling available to us.

But the question was "What is the average age of the typical Mac user?" :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.