Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:08 PM   #1
soupyjnr
macrumors 6502

Airport problem - No IP address?

Hi everyone - im really frustrated!

I have had my wireless router for just over 5 years. I got my Mac just over a year ago and its been completely fine with the router - never, ever had a problem with it... until a few days ago

Basicly, my mac is connecting to the router, but there is no internet connection getting to the mac. When I go into Airport, then Open Network Preferences, and goto Airport, the circle beside Airport is yellow, and under it says No IP address. When I go into advanced, and goto TCP/IP, it is selected Using DHCP.

Does anybody know why this is doing this. Its working on my mum and brothers vista, just not my mac Ive tried rebooting everything, and restoring factory settings... and ive no idea whats happening with it! If anybody can help, it really would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:47 AM   #2
soupyjnr
macrumors 6502

I have some more info. which might help to solve this problem! When I go into 192.168.1.1 (my routers home page) and go into Wireless, the Basic Wireless Settings, I changed the Wireless Channel to 8 - 2.447GHz. When I did that and saved the setting, the Airport option in Network went from Orange to Green, and now says Self-Assigned IP, and under were is says Status : On, it is saying Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet.

Does this help? Anybody have any ideas?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:10 AM   #3
1ne
macrumors regular

Even though on wireless G it shows 11 channels, but there are only 3 non overlapping channels. Channel 1, 6, 11. Try assigned a a static IP. IP=192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 GW192.168.1.1 Give yourself a DNS 4.2.2.1. Then try to ping your GW. Then your DNS. If that works try pinging google.

Give that a go first.
1ne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Jeffrosproto
macrumors 6502

I had the same problem, I fixed it by restarting the Router and turning airport off and on.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:20 AM   #5
soupyjnr
macrumors 6502

[/INDENT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ne View Post
Even though on wireless G it shows 11 channels, but there are only 3 non overlapping channels. Channel 1, 6, 11. Try assigned a a static IP. IP=192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 GW192.168.1.1 Give yourself a DNS 4.2.2.1. Then try to ping your GW. Then your DNS. If that works try pinging google.

Give that a go first.
Hi - thank you for the reply.

When I go into Basic Setup and try and select the Internet Connection Type and try and change it from Automatic Configeration - DHCP to Static IP, its not letting me change it. It just refreshes the page and then goes back to Automatic Configeration - DHCP?

--------------------------------

UPDATE :

Problem fixed! Apparenly my Mac wasnt picking up the IP address automatically and therefore it needed them put in automatically. Thanks for all your help

Last edited by soupyjnr; Jul 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
soupyjnr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:45 AM   #6
ox4dboy
macrumors newbie

I was able to fix this problem by:
  1. Going to system preferences
  2. Click on network
  3. choose AirPort
  4. click advanced button (bottom right)
  5. click TCP/IP
  6. click Renew DHCP Lease
  7. click ok
  8. click apply
  9. go online

Note: I deleted the AirPort connection (in step 3) added a new AirPort connection (via + button in bottom left) before following these steps - if the steps above don't work, try removing/adding airport and try again.
ox4dboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:02 AM   #7
Doef
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer, ox4dboy. That worked for me.

D
Doef is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help