Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:17 AM   #1
BrianKonarsMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Open Superdrive without Eject Key.

How do I open the Superdrive on a Quicksilver G4 without an Apple Keyboard and it's eject key? I gave my parents my tower, but they insisted on keeping their keyboard, mouse, and monitor from their previous Gateway. The volume keys work just as they should, but the keyboard has no eject shortcut, what can i do? I'd assume they must have some type of hot key? This is quite embarassing as it is leading my parents to believe Apple has some of the worst designs ever, and I've always championed their cause (but am rethinking my zealot like arrogance). Nothing will make me switch to Windows, but please restore my confidence.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:33 AM   #2
rendezvouscp
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Long Beach, California
Send a message via AIM to rendezvouscp
Go to Your HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Eject.menu. That will put a menu extra on the right side of your "white menu" where you can eject your SuperDrive. You may find the other menu extras to be of use too.
–Chase
__________________
Santa Rosa 2.4 15" Matte MacBook Pro
Iron Money
rendezvouscp is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:37 AM   #3
Jimong5
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
I think also on most keyboards, F12 will eject the drive, but im not certain.
Jimong5 is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 04:55 AM   #4
crees!
macrumors 68000
 
crees!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: MD/VA/DC
I've had to do this twice on my Powerbook. That was rebooting and holding down the mouse button as it boots, then it spits out the CD.
__________________
The only thing that seems to increase over the years is that nonsense multiplies.
NOSOCIALISM NOBAMA
crees! is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 05:09 AM   #5
Calvinatir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: LA
ok, so i got curious and strted opening those .menu things...now how do i close them?
Calvinatir is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 05:11 AM   #6
HexMonkey
Administrator
 
HexMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinatir
ok, so i got curious and strted opening those .menu things...now how do i close them?
Hold down the command key and drag them off the menu bar.
HexMonkey is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 05:13 AM   #7
Calvinatir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: LA
holy cow..thanks! I had about 6 of them up there...haha...what a fool i can be
Calvinatir is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 08:11 AM   #8
homeshire
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ohio, looking toward Germany
Send a message via AIM to homeshire
why is it apple's fault that your mom and dad won't give up their gateway equipment? why would they assume there would be a 1:1 matchup between apple and gateway? just curious.
__________________
quam multa fieri non posse, priusquam sint facta judicantur --Pliny
If your device is Plays for Sure compliant it may work --- too hilarious
homeshire is offline   0
Old Jun 13, 2004, 09:38 AM   #9
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Antwerp-Belgium
Get a griffin PowerMate, programmable, so probably you can add any command allso open/close to one ot the functions ;-) (not sure just guessing...)
__________________
G5 2x1.8Ghz,CrapBook CoreDuo,Macmini 1.5G4;iPod 3g 30GB,Shuffle 1GB,Nano 8GB;iPod Touch 2nd gen 8GB; iPad 16GB;AirPort Extreme-Nhttp://www.jovdm.be
Jo-Kun is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 01:15 AM   #10
BrianKonarsMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshire
why is it apple's fault that your mom and dad won't give up their gateway equipment? why would they assume there would be a 1:1 matchup between apple and gateway? just curious.
it's apple's fault for not including a method of opening the Superdrive without an Apple keyboard...it's not a Gateway keyboard anyways, it's a Microsoft keyboard, and work's perfectly fine with the G4 (volume keys work, hot keys work) but there is no eject key. They didn't assume anything, I did, because I've never had an issue using any third party peripherals before, and OS X includes drivers for practically any device. a 1:1 matchup between apple and gateway? wtf are you talking about? a CRT monitor, a Logitech Optical Mouse (with more than one button), and an ergonomic keyboard designed by Microsoft and branded by Gateway do not make a Gateway machine.

to wrap up, there is no problem using third party peripherals, but the lack of insight into the G4's design for the Superdrive is absolutely pathetic.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 02:00 AM   #11
russed
macrumors 68000
 
russed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, England
Send a message via MSN to russed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Kun
Get a griffin PowerMate, programmable, so probably you can add any command allso open/close to one ot the functions ;-) (not sure just guessing...)
good point, i have mine so that a long click will eject.

also, people are over looking one of the more obvious methods - drag the cd icon towards the trash which will turn to an eject symbol as soon as you move it. just release over the logo and bingo!
__________________
all the ducks are swimming in the water...
russed is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 02:09 AM   #12
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020
 
Horrortaxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKonarsMac
it's apple's fault for not including a method of opening the Superdrive without an Apple keyboard...
I'm having a really hard time buying this argument. It's not unreasonable for Apple to assume you're using an Apple keyboard. Besides, there are probably a dozen ways to eject a CD that don't involve the eject key on the keyboard anyway. How about right clicking (if you're using a Microsoft keyboard I'm sure you are also able to right click) on the CD icon and selecting 'eject'? There's also the programs that use the drive--they have eject buttons. I'm sure you could assign a keyboard shortcut to do it as well.
Horrortaxi is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:14 AM   #13
BrianKonarsMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
i think you people are all ***** but thats another story. how am i supposed to get a CD/DVD into the Superdrive if i can't even open it!? i know you can drag it to the trash im not retarded. I could also rip the face plate off my Quicksilver if I really have to, maybe it's not UNREASONABLE for Apple to think I'm using their keyboard, but it's monopolistic practice to make the Superdrive only function with their keyboard. You people are such blind mac zealots it's ridiculous.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:16 AM   #14
russed
macrumors 68000
 
russed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, England
Send a message via MSN to russed
right, sorry i didnt read the question but no need to get arsy, you can sod off now!
__________________
all the ducks are swimming in the water...
russed is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:19 AM   #15
BrianKonarsMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrortaxi
How about right clicking (if you're using a Microsoft keyboard I'm sure you are also able to right click) on the CD icon and selecting 'eject'? There's also the programs that use the drive--they have eject buttons. I'm sure you could assign a keyboard shortcut to do it as well.
your arrogance amazes me. you say it's not unreasonable for apple to assume i'm using their input devices, yet you tell me to right click!? fortunately, if you bothered to read my post, you'd know i threw my apple mouse in the trash long ago for something with more than one button.

now if anyone knows how to open the superdrive so I can actually PUT a CD/DVD in there to eject, that'd be excellent. until then, i know perfectly well how to eject a CD/DVD once it's actully INSIDE of the superdrive.

Last edited by BrianKonarsMac; Jun 14, 2004 at 03:24 AM.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:21 AM   #16
BrianKonarsMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by russed
right, sorry i didnt read the question but no need to get arsy, you can sod off now!
if people didn't whine to me about stuff that i'm not even asking for help with, i'd have nothing to complain about. some of the people on here are so blinded by there loyalty to mac that they'll defend any flaws to the bitter end. this is a design flaw. it's apples fault. admit it to yourself.

if you can't tell by now i want to smash my Quicksilver with a sledge hammer then pour lighter fluid all over it and set it ablaze. Maybe then the Superdrive will open?

Last edited by BrianKonarsMac; Jun 14, 2004 at 03:23 AM.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:26 AM   #17
russed
macrumors 68000
 
russed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, England
Send a message via MSN to russed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKonarsMac
if people didn't whine to me about stuff that i'm not even asking for help with, i'd have nothing to complain about. some of the people on here are so blinded by there loyalty to mac that they'll defend any flaws to the bitter end. this is a design flaw. it's apples fault. admit it to yourself.

if you can't tell by now i want to smash my Quicksilver with a sledge hammer then pour lighter fluid all over it and set it ablaze. Maybe then the Superdrive will open?
its an easy thing to do, i have done many exams where i have misread the question, now if you had posted the question "how do i OPEN the cd drive in my g4 as i dont have an apple keyboard" i think you may have got the answer you would have wanted. if you want a simple answer post a simple question.
__________________
all the ducks are swimming in the water...
russed is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:29 AM   #18
BrianKonarsMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by russed
its an easy thing to do, i have done many exams where i have misread the question, now if you had posted the question "how do i OPEN the cd drive in my g4 as i dont have an apple keyboard" i think you may have got the answer you would have wanted. if you want a simple answer post a simple question.
perhaps you should try READING the question before postin an answer? If you did, you'd notice that i said EXACTLY what you wrote. You have only proven your stupidity to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKonarsMac
How do I open the Superdrive on a Quicksilver G4 without an Apple Keyboard and it's eject key?
the very first sentence of the opening to this topic...this is so pathetic it's funny.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:30 AM   #19
caveman_uk
Guest
 
caveman_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hitchin, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKonarsMac
if people didn't whine to me about stuff that i'm not even asking for help with, i'd have nothing to complain about. some of the people on here are so blinded by there loyalty to mac that they'll defend any flaws to the bitter end. this is a design flaw. it's apples fault. admit it to yourself.

if you can't tell by now i want to smash my Quicksilver with a sledge hammer then pour lighter fluid all over it and set it ablaze. Maybe then the Superdrive will open?
Ever thought of taking anger management classes? Maybe being polite to people will get you the answer you want?
caveman_uk is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:31 AM   #20
BrianKonarsMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman_uk
Ever thought of taking anger management classes? Maybe being polite to people will get you the answer you want?
ever thought of doing something useful with your time? apparently nobody is capable of even reading my question, just joining in on a pointless argument because they have nothing better to do.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:37 AM   #21
russed
macrumors 68000
 
russed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, England
Send a message via MSN to russed
note to self: dont try to help people in future. admittedly i didnt answer what you asked as i didnt read the question properly but no need to act like a compeate t****r.

work out the problem yourself you appear to be so intelligent so it shouldnt be a problem
__________________
all the ducks are swimming in the water...
russed is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:40 AM   #22
russed
macrumors 68000
 
russed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, England
Send a message via MSN to russed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKonarsMac
ever thought of doing something useful with your time? apparently nobody is capable of even reading my question, just joining in on a pointless argument because they have nothing better to do.
oh and by the way you are being the pathetic one by getting so worked up, you only neeed to point out that we were giving you pointless information. insted you go into a grade a strop. i do think anger management classes are in order, hell what are you like behind the wheel of a car if someone indicates the wrong way???
__________________
all the ducks are swimming in the water...
russed is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:49 AM   #23
caveman_uk
Guest
 
caveman_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hitchin, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKonarsMac
ever thought of doing something useful with your time? apparently nobody is capable of even reading my question, just joining in on a pointless argument because they have nothing better to do.
Did you read the first answer to the thread?
Quote:
Go to Your HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Eject.menu. That will put a menu extra on the right side of your "white menu" where you can eject your SuperDrive. You may find the other menu extras to be of use too.
–Chase
It's the answer you want-you can open the optical drive without the key on the keyboard. Now who doesn't read threads properly?
caveman_uk is offline   0
Old Jun 14, 2004, 04:32 AM   #24
kjwebb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Australia
Or another option (as posted by a previous poster) is hold the F12 key (ie. the Apple Eject Key)
__________________
Kenneth
Powermac 7600/132 w/ Mac OS 8
iBook G4 12" Rev.A 1GHz G4, 1.25GB RAM, 30GB HDD w/ Mac OS 10.4
iMac 20" Core 2 Duo
kjwebb is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eject key isn't working on new iMac Samelson03 iMac 4 Sep 2, 2013 02:23 AM
Apple Wired Keyboard 'Eject' Key lewismayell Mac Peripherals 3 Jul 3, 2013 10:20 AM
Can I assign the "eject" key to eject my External DVD drive? bobright iMac 4 Dec 29, 2012 05:41 PM
Eject key not working with external superdrive brandaopj MacBook Pro 2 Aug 5, 2012 08:05 AM
Eject superdrive from iMac MacPC iMac 2 Jul 14, 2012 01:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC