Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jul 27, 2009, 07:26 PM   #1
xanadeath
macrumors 6502

Learning to program for Mac and iPhone

I absolutely love technology. I know my way around a computer and can do pretty much anything except photoshopping, graphic design, and programming. I want to learn to program. I know this is something that can't just be "learned", and that you are always learning new things..... i've even tried to learn C++, but I run Windows and I think i'm having so much trouble with it because i'm simply not that interested in making Windows Programs. I've recently started thinking about programming for Mac, and especially iPhone. I know I would enjoy it and I know I would get really into it if I started, but that's the problem, I just don't know where to start. First, I don't have a Mac, which isn't much of a problem... I could grab a Mac Mini in the next few months. Mainly I just don't know what I would need to learn, and if I need a Mac to learn it. I've been reading that cocoa is heavily based on Objective C, but I don't know if I need to have a Mac to compile Objective C programs.... or if I should even start with Objective C at all.... or if anything cocoa related is where to start. Right now I can only make a C++ program on Windows that says Hello World with some user input and then instantly disappears. I would really appreciate some help, and considering that I have no idea what most of the thread topics even mean I know i'm in the right place.

Thanks

Xanadeath
xanadeath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 07:43 PM   #2
macFan3000
macrumors newbie

Get Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan Amazon link.
When you've gotten your Mac Get Cocoa Programing for Mac OS X By Arron Hillegass Amazon link.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 07:52 PM   #3
xanadeath
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macFan3000 View Post
Get Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan Amazon link.
When you've gotten your Mac Get Cocoa Programing for Mac OS X By Arron Hillegass Amazon link.
If I go with the objective C book before getting a Mac, is using a Windows compiler going to veer me off course. Will going on the mac and using cocoa be more difficult after becoming accustomed to C on Windows?
xanadeath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Shu15
macrumors regular

I'd also really like to learn programming for mac, so any help is appreciated!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Cinder6
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadeath View Post
If I go with the objective C book before getting a Mac, is using a Windows compiler going to veer me off course. Will going on the mac and using cocoa be more difficult after becoming accustomed to C on Windows?
C is C is C. So long as you're not using proprietary or Windows-only libraries, everything you learn will be applicable to programming on a Mac. It's especially true for Objective-C, as its main audience is the Mac.

Furthermore, Objective-C is a superset of vanilla C. That means you won't have learned anything really useless, should you decide to only ever do Obj-C in your life.
Cinder6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:15 AM   #6
TheMacintosh
macrumors newbie

Get "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hilegass. bignerdranch.com. It's a great book.

Although Stefan Kochan is good too
TheMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:22 AM   #7
boast
macrumors 6502a

you do know there is a C++ compiler for the mac, right? Meaning, your C++ code can run on the mac.

Err, forgot about wanting for the iphone as well. Yeah I guess go with obj-c.
boast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:05 PM   #8
macFan3000
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacintosh View Post
Get "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hilegass. bignerdranch.com. It's a great book.

Although Stefan Kochan is good too
Hillegass is good if you know C. Kochan teaches you what C you need for Objective-c

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming