1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Learning to program for Mac and iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by xanadeath, Jul 27, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

I absolutely love technology. I know my way around a computer and can do pretty much anything except photoshopping, graphic design, and programming. I want to learn to program. I know this is something that can't just be "learned", and that you are always learning new things..... i've even tried to learn C++, but I run Windows and I think i'm having so much trouble with it because i'm simply not that interested in making Windows Programs. I've recently started thinking about programming for Mac, and especially iPhone. I know I would enjoy it and I know I would get really into it if I started, but that's the problem, I just don't know where to start. First, I don't have a Mac, which isn't much of a problem... I could grab a Mac Mini in the next few months. Mainly I just don't know what I would need to learn, and if I need a Mac to learn it. I've been reading that cocoa is heavily based on Objective C, but I don't know if I need to have a Mac to compile Objective C programs.... or if I should even start with Objective C at all.... or if anything cocoa related is where to start. Right now I can only make a C++ program on Windows that says Hello World with some user input and then instantly disappears. I would really appreciate some help, and considering that I have no idea what most of the thread topics even mean I know i'm in the right place.

Thanks

Xanadeath

2. macrumors newbie

Get Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan Amazon link.
    When you've gotten your Mac Get Cocoa Programing for Mac OS X By Arron Hillegass Amazon link.

3. macrumors 6502

If I go with the objective C book before getting a Mac, is using a Windows compiler going to veer me off course. Will going on the mac and using cocoa be more difficult after becoming accustomed to C on Windows?

4. macrumors regular

I'd also really like to learn programming for mac, so any help is appreciated!

5. macrumors 6502

Cinder6

C is C is C. So long as you're not using proprietary or Windows-only libraries, everything you learn will be applicable to programming on a Mac. It's especially true for Objective-C, as its main audience is the Mac.

Furthermore, Objective-C is a superset of vanilla C. That means you won't have learned anything really useless, should you decide to only ever do Obj-C in your life.

6. macrumors newbie

Get "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hilegass. bignerdranch.com. It's a great book.

Although Stefan Kochan is good too :)

7. macrumors 6502a

boast

you do know there is a C++ compiler for the mac, right? Meaning, your C++ code can run on the mac.

Err, forgot about wanting for the iphone as well. Yeah I guess go with obj-c.

8. macrumors newbie

Hillegass is good if you know C. Kochan teaches you what C you need for Objective-c