Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple-x.net (not presently available) posted some photos of the new PowerMac G5 liquid cooling system.

HardMac has mirrored one of the more detailed photographs.

According to the French site, "The liquid circulating inside the LCS [Liquid Cooling System] is made of 80% water supplemented with corrosion inhibitors, antifreeze, and bacterial growth preventatives".

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Looks complicated and messy... glad they covered it up with that plate :)

And I think the computers that need to be "refilled" are home-made, amateur creations. I wouldn't expect anything like that with a PowerMac.

(PS, Some people immediately claimed that Apple's system provides adequate cooling to only one of the two processors. I highly doubt Apple engineers are that stupid! Others have countered that the liquid passing from one CPU to the other still has the capacity to draw away all the necessary heat--it hasn't been heated fully by the first CPU. Now that makes a little more sense...)

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
that looks cool ... no pun intended. can't wait until one of those babies hit the apple store so i could drive their to check it out in person.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
The "radiator" is on one side and the heat-sink fins from the "heat-pipes" are on the other side... makes me wonder where the fans blow and in what direction.

Pretty weird seeing rubber hosing inside a Mac!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I noticed in some of the Apple-X photos (while they were still up--their host dropped them for using too much bandwidth, so they should return) that there are two fans blowing in a side-to-side direction (facing the front of the tower) near the rear. That's new too.

By the way, AppleInsider has some of the images too:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=501

&RU

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Difficult to tell from one picture...

but with all those pipes underneath, the fluid could be recirculated back through the radiator before it hits the second processor. It would be great to see the other pics.

Any ideas as to what those yellow arrows are about?

SolarisSkyrider

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2004
Virginia
The pipes are hidden behind a big heatsink? How disappointing. Apple should have put tubes all over and then made a side window. Or something.

OK, maybe they shouldn't do that. But I think someone will mod their G5 to do just that. :-D

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
PowerMacMan said:
No never, that would be horendously weird.... "I gotta go refill my computer, it's out of liquid." :eek: :eek:

Ha! that's a really funny picture.

.."you're running a quart low... better top 'er off..." :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The heat-pipes are coming off the power supply, and was there in the previous version.

The liquid cooling system basically looks like it replaces the stacked plates used to cool the CPUs before.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
&RU said:
but with all those pipes underneath, the fluid could be recirculated back through the radiator before it hits the second processor. It would be great to see the other pics.

Any ideas as to what those yellow arrows are about?
As part of the service documentation, the arrows indicate the direction to move the unit so that it can be taken out or installed.

&RU

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Thanks clonenode, that makes sense and thanks for the additional pics edesignuk. The only thing I still don't understand is why they didn't mount the radiator flush with the back of the case so that the heat can be pushed out directly - as opposed to being a third of the way into the machine as it is now.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
&RU said:
The only thing I still don't understand is why they didn't mount the radiator flush with the back of the case so that the heat can be pushed out directly - as opposed to being a third of the way into the machine as it is now.
Yeah, the whole set-up puzzles me too. It looks like hot air from the radiator is going to be blown BACK over the CPUs. But, I guess that happens in a car, too.

Uh oh, not another Mac/Car comparison. Hope this is a BMW solution... not a Chevy.

&RU

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
This must be their makeshift "drop it in and keep costs down" solution. Once they move the whole G5 line to liquid cooling, maybe then they will build it into the back.

I was hoping they would move to liquid cooling to free up some space inside the case, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Eureka! Now we know what happened to the contents of all those lost/unavailable bottles of pepsi products with iTunes' caps.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
well...that's elaborate enough that it shows how far behind apple is going to get. They must be stuck bad to be resorting to such drastic measures.

the only good thing i see about this is that there don't appear to be any liquid cooling tubes headed off towards the mobo...which means the processor is the only real problem they're having at high speeds....i wonder how fast the FSB will be able to go without a major revision...

1.25 and counting....

to the guy who suggested that now everyone else was going to follow suit, you should realize that small PC companies have been offering liquid cooled computers for a while now.

You can buy a case from this company in germany that has built in liquid cooling and will run a guaranteed speed of 4 ghz on a current P4 processor...tests have gotten it up to 4.4 and stable. athlon 64 chips will do over 3 ghz with that setup.

I haven't even been to their site since december, either...

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Neat pictures, though I'm a little skeptical as to how the whole liquid cooling thing works. It definitley seems to be a great feat of engineering. However the engineers at Apple did it, I'm sure they did a fine job with it.

I've been reading that people with 2.5Ghz orders are expecting them to ship on or before August 2nd, which kind of sucks. Sounds like last summer around this time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.