Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFMRPCUSER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
N. CA
I have one iMAC at home and it runs very hot for a computer. I have discussed this with Apple and they claim that it's designed to operate in this environment. Heat is a terrible enemy to transistor junctions and the less of it the better. So I have a question for those of you who are closely familiar with iMAC's. Is there a means to monitor the temperature inside the cabinet with some software/hardware? I'm curious I have always cooled off my electronics equipment, forced air with high power RF linear tubes in amplifiers I built and conduction heat sink cooling for HP transistor amplifiers and the likes. I have considered utilizing some 40mm muffin 5vdc fans attached to a plenum forcing air from the underside of the iMAC case up through the internal areas and out the top vent. Anybody experimenting with this sorta stuff? My rule has been, "too hot to the touch", to hot period, cool it off. Comments, suggestions welcome and appreciated. OH! at work we use several Pros and an iMAC for video editing and one can almost fry an egg on the top aluminum frame. That just doesn't go well in my book but again; Apple says "No Problem". Truth or Not?:cool:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
to monitor the heat, download iStatPro (it is a widget).

as for the fact that its too hot, i dont agree. but its your computer so you can do what you want with it :)

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Don't color your posts like that. It's obnoxious.

As long as your Mac isn't above 80 degrees C, you are fine.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Another vote for iStat Pro.

The chips are rated to 80C+ by Intel so heat isn't really an issue. When they get on the toasty side then the fans will ramp up accordingly.

If you want a wind tunnel on your desk then buy an early Power Mac G5 or an uber gaming PC.

Also bear in mind Apple will use the chassis as a heatsink. Why stick a whacking great chunk of Aluminium on the chip when there's a case made of it?

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Holy crap my eyes are bleeding.

Your iMac is normal according to the trend of the forum.

AFMRPCUSER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
N. CA
to monitor the heat, download iStatPro (it is a widget).

as for the fact that its too hot, i dont agree. but its your computer so you can do what you want with it :)

Thank you for the info on the iSatPro. I will look into this. :cool:

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Sob.

Your iMac is fine. It will get very hot in the top left, but it's designed to be. Heat is better out than in.

Your rule is bunkum. Don't tell me you only drive you car if you've put a bag of dry ice on the engine block?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
The hotter the case is, the more heat is being pulled out of the enclosure. Aluminium is a relatively good conductor so you may perceive it as getting hotter. Don't worry about it. Worry about plastic laptops.

I certainly wouldn't force air through something I couldn't see into.

AppleMatt

mazza

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
What about the hard drive ? Mine is around 55-60C and that can't be good. The fan never ramps up, even when the temps do

Another vote for iStat Pro.

The chips are rated to 80C+ by Intel so heat isn't really an issue. When they get on the toasty side then the fans will ramp up accordingly.

If you want a wind tunnel on your desk then buy an early Power Mac G5 or an uber gaming PC.

Also bear in mind Apple will use the chassis as a heatsink. Why stick a whacking great chunk of Aluminium on the chip when there's a case made of it?

ryan.hayes79

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
You can get SMC fan control if you want to increase the lowest point of the fans that are in the machine.

http://www.eidac.de/?p=134

I have used it for years to increase the fans to just 100 - 200 rpm above the standard settings. Also good to ramp them up once in a while to clear the dust! Pretty much the only time I have ever heard them on full blast!

Hope this helps.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I agree that apple knows what they are doing, BUT I have a 4inch fan behind my mac that runs when I am doing video editting. It drops the temp and extra 5-10 degrees celcius, depending if I am crunching lots of video. And while iMacs can run hot, I have noticed a slight performance bump from having the small fan on it.

Cabgh5950

macrumors newbie
Oops!

Don't color your posts like that. It's obnoxious.

As long as your Mac isn't above 80 degrees C, you are fine.

It's funny you should mention that because when I was uploading a iMovie to Youtube via iMovie 09 it go to 98!:eek:
So I put my desk fan pointing toward my Mac and the temp went down to about 70.
When it normally gets that hot i just cut the power!
But smcFanControl is keeping things under control.
Before I had just regular fan control.
Don't get that app.
It spins the fans very quickly makes it so loud!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
But smcFanControl is keeping things under control.
Before I had just regular fan control.
Don't get that app.
It spins the fans very quickly makes it so loud!

You can use FanControl quite easy if you set it properly and it does not spin up that fast. But as it has been made for the Apple notebook line you might get some "troubling" results with an iMac.

screenshot.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.