Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WallpaperPerson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I need some good animation software that is free to use, i can draw and have a tablet but can draw with mouse too. If you can help me, thanks!

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I need some good animation software that is free to use, i can draw and have a tablet but can draw with mouse too. If you can help me, thanks!

Honestly? If you can draw try animating with a pencil and paper. It'll be very satisfying and a great way to learn the principles of animation - squash, stretch, exageration etc.

If you do want to animate with a 2D software package, i've seen great things done with Pencil: http://www.pencil-animation.org/

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I would have to agree with Fluidedge, pencil and paper is a very good starting point.

But if you have to go digital then I'd recommend either Flash (because of the IK and bones feature) and Toon Boom.

eellingb

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
I have seen some very good things done with Anime Studio. It is a 2d animation program, with bones. Check out this forum for good discussions by users:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/

There is a limited feature version available for $50 and the full version for $200. There is a 30 day trial available as well.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
We are speaking here about 2D traditional animation (software), if I understand correctly. Blender is for 3D.

2D is:
- Anime Studio series
- Toon Boom products
- Pencil (free, opensource) - personally do I recommend it
- Synfig (free, opensource)

and some others

Wraz

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
I use flash alot. but i wish i would have started doing toon boom. cause yea, thats what the pros use.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I use Flash currently have done for years. It's all I'm familiar with. I do mostly fbf mixed with symbol loops and motion tweens, can someone suggest anything better? I really need to streamline my work, I work with dozens of layers and it's hard to keep track of everything.

snakesqzns

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2007

MstrPBK

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
St. Paul, MN
Maybe I am a little dense here ... (smile)

and from another generation (smile). 20 some years ago i had animation basics [aka by hand] at a local community college. I have used GIF Builder which is a pretty decent starter program from time to time. But what I need now is a animation program that can interpret mouse clicks and simple (I stress simple) call commands for the next animation to be presented.

In this need I am not talking so much about game building [though it will lead to that :D] but more in the direction of a GUI interface development. My programming background is limited to 'BASIC language' from the mid-1970's.

Any suggestions folks? Thanks for your assistance.

MstrPBK
St. Paul, MN USA

P.S. I got an A in that animation class by the way ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.