Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
iTunes:

-Server component for putting all media on network storage device yet delivering access on each computer like its local.

Cleanup: iTunes is too cluttered and I expect iT9 to have heavily revamped UI that cleans up issues and properly manages different media.

iWork 10 :

- Speed and Snow Leopard support. Quicktime X makes embedding videos much easier. Apple buys Bento from Filemaker and includes it.

iLife 10 :

- iWeb will have the biggest improvements with rudimentary support for HTML 5 video features. The other apps will offer speed improvements via Snow Leopard technologies and of course your standard evolution.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
I would hope a Cocoa rewrite to make the App less bloated. Other than that, just less cluttered in general, with more modern features? Either improve or drop movie library support, perhaps?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
64-bit
Cocoa API
better server features (I plan on getting a home server soon)
put media in the right place. No reason for movies to go into the Music>iTunes>Movie folder.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
iTunes:

-Server component for putting all media on network storage device yet delivering access on each computer like its local.

Check this out. It works great. I'd like a dedicated server version for free as well. The .dmg would have both versions.

I'm thinking it'll be called iTunes X. It'll have GCD and Open CL support and 64-bit, along with a revamped UI.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
It'll probably be largely the same, but rewritten in cocoa for 64-bit. Probably some "killer feature" that works with the upcoming tablet.

iWork, iLife, and iTunes will all go intel-only.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Here's my iTunes server guide. I didn't feel like making a Windows version, but I will do so either later today or tomorrow.

Attachments

• Setup an iTunes Sever OS X.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 238

Quicksilver00X

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
The only thing iTunes needs most at this point is a Cocoa rewrite to make it less bloated ofcourse, rest will be bonus.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
For ****s sake, just speed it up please. My library is a fraction of the size of most of you and yet itunes constantly beach balls. Album art takes forever to display when scrolling down through the collection.

Nothing else on my MBP is even remotely slow like itunes, even my 40GB Aperture library.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Speed, speed, speed! And a new, less-cluttered interface would be nice, but they've crammed so many features into iTunes, I have no idea how they would go about cleaning it up.

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
I'm fairly sure the interface is Cocoa as of iTunes 8. Get rid of all the random modal windows (Change artwork on a large amount of songs, and a window pops up with a progress bar that you must wait for.. ridiculous.)

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I'm fairly sure the interface is Cocoa as of iTunes 8. Get rid of all the random modal windows (Change artwork on a large amount of songs, and a window pops up with a progress bar that you must wait for.. ridiculous.)

I'm pretty sure that it's still a Carbon app. Even looking at Snow Leopard I believe it's listed as 32bit Carbon app.

As for my wishlist:
1. Speed and less bloat
2. Better support for photos with iPods/iPhones
3. Ability to select the amount of songs I want in a Genius playlist
4. Better way to show lyrics instead of going into "Get Info"
5. Separate source for Music Videos
6. Redesigned Applications interface

DJTHEFUNNY

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
iTunes:

Cleanup: iTunes is too cluttered and I expect iT9 to have heavily revamped UI that cleans up issues and properly manages different media.

I THink They Already Have The Server Feature We Have A Dlink HDD Bay And One Of The Options In The Firmware Is An iTunes Server

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iTunes:

iWork 10 :

- Speed and Snow Leopard support. Quicktime X makes embedding videos much easier. Apple buys Bento from Filemaker and includes it.

iLife 10 :

- iWeb will have the biggest improvements with rudimentary support for HTML 5 video features. The other apps will offer speed improvements via Snow Leopard technologies and of course your standard evolution.

Apple doesn't need to buy Bento. FileMaker is a wholly owned subsidiary.

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
iTunes is unlikely to go Cocoa anytime soon, mainly because Cocoa apps are much more difficult to port to Windows and Apple has (presumably) invested a lot in the cross-platform GUI toolkit that they use to make the interface. At a bare minimum they would have to create an Obj-C runtime for Windows, then work on porting large portions of AppKit (not a small undertaking).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Update:

Definitely fix the process for browsing and buying Garage Band training. It should be iTunes easy. I'm looking to learn piano and I want a lot of lessons and I want it easy.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I expect we will finally be able to color the fonts on playlist or track info. I work with playlists a lot and hate having to prefix them with special characters and spaces and whatever to force them up top or somehow mark them as being works in progress. Color would be so great!

I expect iTunes will still keep its overweening place in my budget. That is a compliment, not a complaint.

I don't expect but would like them to put back the option to switch the link arrows on and off in the preferences instead of having to do it with terminal commands. That's a complaint.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Let me add:

Ability to customize the UI. Why do I HAVE to have silver?
I'm for speed increases too.
Putting media in the right OS X folder, instead of everything in the iTunes folder, which is located in the music folder. Last time I check, movies weren't music. Neither were TV shows.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Putting media in the right OS X folder, instead of everything in the iTunes folder, which is located in the music folder. Last time I check, movies weren't music. Neither were TV shows.

Yeah, sometimes it gets really annoying. They should just make a new home folder is they want, or put it in the correct home folders. I don't think it's a bug, but more that they did not plan it out when they first released iTunes.

If they don't fix this, I think you can just do it yourself (annoying, I know). But it is better than nothing.
I would expect an iTunes 9 launch coinciding with Snow Leopard so that, if they want to fix this issue, they can code it into the OS, rather than iTunes itself.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007

Ah, that explains alot! I only use itunes for music, but I always wondered why my movies didn't show up in itunes. Silly me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.