Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
What are your expectations for iLife '10

What do you think will be new, improved or changed?

Post your thoughts about Apple's software suite!

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
I would hope that iMovie '10 would gain Quicktime Pro's movie editing features, and hopefully more options for the video format, etc. Not being able to output a movie after using iMovie at its native resolution is disgusting. Instead I get an upscaled, blurred mess. The app is useless for all but the casual-est video editing, and I'm surprised that for an App that is so frequently updated it is hardly that robust.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
64-bit
Cocoa API if it isn't already
More useful apps.
iWeb overhaul, because it's useless. The average person doesn't build their own webpages anymore. Perhaps change it to iBlog and give us blogging ability.
Better social networking with popular sites.
iDVD is useless. Get rid of it.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
i expect it to be released in January 2010. That is all i expect, anything else is speculation.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
definitely 64bit to go with all the apps in Snow Leopard, and I think iweb is in need of a major overhaul. It seems to clunky for ease of use.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I would quite like the option, from an upgrade perspective, to be able to just buy iPhoto only. Online-only download perhaps.

Say $25 for each app (ignoring iDVD as Apple do) or $79 for iLife.

This won't happen though :(

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
One thing that I am really hoping for is the ability for iWeb to upload to non-FTP web servers or MobileMe. Something like Webs.com uploading or similar to that.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
64-bit
iWeb overhaul, because it's useless. The average person doesn't build their own webpages anymore. Perhaps change it to iBlog and give us blogging ability.

That's a damn good idea. Windows Live Writer is an awesome blogging tool, and it's time that Apple created its own.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Maybe for you, but I and plenty of others use it.

I'm expecting some Open CL and GCD support, both fully being supported in '11.

I know it's not going to happen, but I want a real timeline in iMovie.

You use iDVD? Really? Over QT, iTunes or VLC?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You use iDVD? Really? Over QT, iTunes or VLC?

iDVD MAKES DVDs, it does not play them. DVD Player does that.

Folder monitoring for iPhoto '10.

I'd like a pop-up notification when iPhoto feels like deleting your entire library. Having one before it happens might be too much to ask, but having one after the fact would at least tell me that all of my photos are gone and weren't backed up on Time Machine.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

I'd like a pop-up notification when iPhoto feels like deleting your entire library. Having one before it happens might be too much to ask, but having one after the fact would at least tell me that all of my photos are gone and weren't backed up on Time Machine.

That doesn't sound good, I've used iPhoto since it came out in 2002 and never had any problems with it losing photos, but I do disagree with it's black box approach to filing photos.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
That doesn't sound good, I've used iPhoto since it came out in 2002 and never had any problems with it losing photos, but I do disagree with it's black box approach to filing photos.

This is something I had a serious problem with when I switched to OS X earlier this year, but the cats here on this forum were very helpful in explaining iPhoto's approach, to the point where I completely moved away from Picasa and just let iPhoto do what it wanted with my pictures. I just keep a copy of my pictures on an external drive if I want to share folders with others.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

ah...I guess since I've never used it... thanks for the clarification.

and yes, for the LOVE OF GOD and THE GREATER GOOD, open up iPhoto black box approach. What's wrong with using my native filing system? At least let it be an option for Pete's sakes.

leahyphoto

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Speed

How do you speed up the performance of Faces in iPhoto. Ihave turned off counting? Does it help to vacuum the database? Can I reduce the size of the database? How does one do it? I keep all of my images on two other hard drives outside of iPhoto because I have read that they can get lost. I only want to delete the third copies that iPhoto made. Any clever way?

Brattoo $7.50 is great for deleting duplicates even if they are named differently. Just run it overnight. I found 2000 duplicates.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm thinking about getting a new Mac in 2010 and I'd be excited if GB had some new songwriting / demo-recording -oriented features, like more help creating backing tracks. I think the artist lessons that they feature are pretty cool, too, so it'd be good if they did more with that. I would think there might be some hand-me-down tech from the new Logic also.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
and yes, for the LOVE OF GOD and THE GREATER GOOD, open up iPhoto black box approach.

Doesn't "black box approach" imply that you can't access the insides? The iPhoto library is easy to navigate in finder. If is conveniently organized in folders by Event. Modified versions are filed separately from originals.

What's wrong with using my native filing system? At least let it be an option for Pete's sakes.

I would think the general problem with using your own file system is that it makes it difficult for the iPhoto database to keep track of changes made through the Finder rather than iPhoto.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I would think the general problem with using your own file system is that it makes it difficult for the iPhoto database to keep track of changes made through the Finder rather than iPhoto.

Nonsense. Picasa handles it just fine, and Picasa is free. iTunes is also too stupid to scan a folder for new songs, so i suppose its logical that iPhoto would also lack the ability to scan a folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.