Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grneyedjay

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Does anyone else remember the DayStar PowerMacs? I stumbled across some information on them....I once worked at a place that had a DayStar--4 Processors (can't remember how fast), 512mb ram, cant remember the hd but i remember there were 4 of them....yeah, all in 1998!! Or it might have been bought earlier..wow.

http://lowendmac.com/daystar/genesis.html

StrangeQuark

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2004
Florida
A/UX was more of an early 90's thing. I wouldn't be suprised if it could run it though.

Edit: Speaking of anachronistic software. I just found out that a circa 1985 copy of MacDraw from my Dad's old compact Mac runs perfectly happily under Classic on my Rev C PB 12". I love OS X. Backward compatible and still faster than an ornithophobic being chased by an ostrich.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
A/UX ran on the wg servers and such. Before my quadra wg server 95 died 2 days ago it was running some very of a/ux. I gave it a proper funeral.... :( The hd has spun down for the last time :( :( :( :(

grneyedjay

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2004
themadchemist said:
wouldn't have done much good back then...Before OS X, Mac OS didn't handle preemptive multitasking very well.

Yeah, we were running Adobe After Effects and you had to have special multiprocessor plugins to get it to use all 4, and worked quite well.....for other applications, not so much..

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
grneyedjay said:
Yeah, we were running Adobe After Effects and you had to have special multiprocessor plugins to get it to use all 4, and worked quite well.....for other applications, not so much..

ah, that would do it. forgot about the ol' plugins. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.